Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Proper way to remove and install valve guides. I was reading on it and certain articles said to place the heads in the oven and heat them to over 300 deg? obviously you need a press, measuring tools I all ready have.
can you tell me the specialty tools I don't have? we are talking about the average SBC head Iron. So I heat the head place it on the press and Is there a special tool the you use to press it all the way through. And then after inspecting the guide bores I guess I would heat the head again and press the new ones in When do you stop? I guess the specs for the clearance will be up to the valve manufacture. And obviously after all that a test with some die to check if the is a correct valve to seat touch. Grind and check - Grind and check -- then start the lapping process. I am a real DO IT YOURSELF. All I need is a Couple helping suggestions and I am on my way. Thanks for all help.

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
334 Posts
If it is a standard cast iron SBC head, the valve guides are integral. They are not replaceable. The old guides can be bored out and new replacements installed but this is not something you can accomplish with hand tools. Take them to a machine shop and have them replace the guides. That is unless you happen to have a seat and guide machine such as a Peterson TCM 25 handy. :D Good luck with your project.

Barry

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
topfuel said:
If it is a standard cast iron SBC head, the valve guides are integral. They are not replaceable. The old guides can be bored out and new replacements installed but this is not something you can accomplish with hand tools. Take them to a machine shop and have them replace the guides. That is unless you happen to have a seat and guide machine such as a Peterson TCM 25 handy. :D Good luck with your project.

Barry
I just looked around and I can't find my Peterson TCM 25. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.