Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
lt1silverhawk said:
Yeah, I was quite surprised by the length of time, and the fact that they had a singer doing the showcasing the entire time. Nowadays its all about getting it out there in 30 seconds or less. Was Bonanza the ideal show for pushing advertising in the that time?
Man, I must have been sleeping for some of these posts :embarrass

Bonanza used to advertise for weeks when the new Chevy line was going to be unveiled. If I remember right, about hallway through the show the "big" commercial would appear, my Dad and I would wait with great expectations for the new models. The 1963 year was one of the finest. :D We couldn't afford a new car, 6 kids and all, but those years I could tell a Chevy from a Ford from a Chrysler by sight AND sound from a 1/4 mile away. My Dad bled Chevy orange, hated Fords but would buy a Chrysler product occasionally, they just didn't keep a high resale like the GM products and were more affordable. My Mom talked him into a 65 Ford Fairlane station wagon one year, she bought it from an Air Force guy shipping out, I spent a lot of time under the hood, it was a clunker.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
boothboy said:
I believe Cokar Tires owns Honest Charlies now
Sorry, just saw this. That would explain why Honest Charley mentions Coker Tires so much on their Facebook page.

boothboy said:
Yes Dinah's Chevy commercial was aired during the Bonanza show because Bonanza was the first tv show in color and GM wanted in on the band wagon. Dinah was picked to sing Chevy's theme song because she had her own show and was popular. This was long before she started shacking up with Burt Reynolds.
How interesting. It is fascinating to see the marketing side of things how much that has changed. Thanks! :thumbup:

dinger said:
Man, I must have been sleeping for some of these posts :embarrass
Lol, no worries. I missed a few myself it seems.

dinger said:
Bonanza used to advertise for weeks when the new Chevy line was going to be unveiled. If I remember right, about hallway through the show the "big" commercial would appear, my Dad and I would wait with great expectations for the new models. The 1963 year was one of the finest. :D
Nice! I love stories like these :D

dinger said:
We couldn't afford a new car, 6 kids and all, but those years I could tell a Chevy from a Ford from a Chrysler by sight AND sound from a 1/4 mile away. My Dad bled Chevy orange, hated Fords but would buy a Chrysler product occasionally, they just didn't keep a high resale like the GM products and were more affordable. My Mom talked him into a 65 Ford Fairlane station wagon one year, she bought it from an Air Force guy shipping out, I spent a lot of time under the hood, it was a clunker.
I'm a sucker for the lines on the '66-'67 Fairlanes :thumbup:

wretched ratchet said:
Watched it on TCM yestiddy - - - good flix ! :thumbup:
Whaaaa? You're not my Boss Man! Lol! :D Actually that's where he saw it too. I'm the only guy at work he can talk cars with so tells me about what he comes across.

rsfyj said:
is still around I ran it in my Race 351 Cleveland 50/20 blend>>on
Amalie Oil Company
1601 McCloskey Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33605
FL Tel. 813-248-1988
Fax 813-248-1488

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/amalie-oil-company-inc#ixzz1nnD2X8fs
Wow, and more than a hundred years old!

·
Gearhead
51 Posts
Chevrolet was the major sponsor of Bonanza. It usually started with a Chevy ad. I remember ads for C2 Corvettes...Chevrolet was also a major sponsor for Bewitched. Darren always had a new Impala or Camaro...And always a convertible...

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,430 Posts
I'm sold, gonna go to the Chevy dealer tonight and buy me one!

Brian

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Obviously a G.M. inspired video..lol. "We have an amateur driver in the Chevy" and still blow the doors off the Frod. That suxka cut that Ford off when he passed him in the last part of the video, I bet the Ford guy sucked his shorts up a little bit. A very cool video! I wonder if the Ford had a 406 or if it was indeed the 427, I would think the Ford would pull him with a 427, they were nasty fast. Cool stuff, I was diehard
Chevy back in those days and the 63 Impalas were some of the finest Chevy turned out, love that era of G.M., super cool cars. Thanks for the video, Brian, let me know which Chevy you buy tonight!

·
Slow but willing learner
5,390 Posts
Honest Charlie is alive and well. J Honest Hisself has been dead for years. Mike Goodman is one of the owners now. They share a city block with Coker Tire here in Chattanooga. They do a lot of old hot rod, and flathead performance parts but also have an El Camino catalog and other more modern items.

John L

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was reading the "Letters" section in the April 1996 issue of "Motor Trend" magazine, and came across a few readers' letters regarding the completely-redesigned-for-'97 Ford F-150. They gave me a chuckle so I thought I'd share.

As a beer-drinking, NASCAR-loving, wrestling-watching, tobacco-chewing, certified *******, i might not know much about a lot, but when it comes to pickup trucks, I'm a regular Einstein!

"Your article in the January issue on the all-new '97 Ford F-150 made me mad enough to kick my best coonhound.

The new F-150 is so far on the feminine style scale, even Richard Simmons would be ashamed to ride in it, much less drive it. We real truck men remained quiet for both the defilement of the Mustang and Taurus, but now Ford's crossed the line with the king of all pickups, the F-150.

I call out to all red-blooded American men that ain't even been on one of them afternoon trash talk shows: Fire up your pushrod V-8s and go to Dearborn before they destroy the old molds, and let's teach them a thing or two!"

Maynard Johnson
Coalwood, W. Va.

"I just finished reading the report on the '97 F-150. This thing is going to be a great truck! I realize a lot of diehard Ford Fans won't accept this new design, but neither did Chevy fans when the new-for-'88 pickup arrived oh so long ago.

Seeing this all-new design put the F-150 along the same theme as the Taurus and Contour. Will there be an SVT Lightning?"

Michael J. Fiore
Everett, Mass.

The performance gurus at Ford reportedly are working on a Lightning version powered by a 5.4-liter V-8. - Ed.

"I think Ford has gone too far on aerodynamics while attempting to earn better gas mileage. I'm a proud owner of a '94 Ford Ranger XLT. next time I go truck hunting, I might as well buy a car since the trucks of '97 and later look more like cars. Try to make a pickup a truck instead of competing with the car market. So come on, ford, start using your heads, or Chevys will soon start to overtake us all.

Keith Pittman
Rockhill, S.C.

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Honest Charley.......

Hi,ive been to HC in Nooga, many times in around 1960-1968,great place for parts,back then,counter guys would write all your wants down,then hop on the battery powered scooter with the big basket,and go parts picking,had a cuppo joe,while waiting. then pay and go. :) :) are they still as big now???

·
Slow but willing learner
5,390 Posts
No. Their showroom is quite small. Most of their sales are mail order but they do a good job and keep a good inventory with good prices. My dealing with have all been good. Thy are downtown now and connected to Coker Tires.

John L

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.