This is from Saturday. I finished making new king pin bushings for the Vanden Plas DM-4 4 Litre Princess Limousine.
I had to turn down the OD on some 954 Aluminum Bronze bushing material, drill holes for the grease passage into the bushing, and use a lathe to cut grooves for the grease on the ID of the bushing. That last part was a challenge.
I couldn't exactly duplicate the original groove pattern with the machinery I had access to, but I did manage a "triple figure 8" using the lathe I had available to use. The major challenge was that the grooves are not supposed to go through the end of the bushing material. Here's a closeup of the top of the grooves showing that.
The guy who owns/manages the machine shop where I did this says that on a difficulty scale of 1-10, these were 11s. It took me 3 to 4 hours per bushing to do this. For the grooves, step 1 was to unplug the lathe so you don't accidentally turn it on when turning the chuck by hand with a wrench. All the operations for those grooves were done by manually turning the chuck with a wrench, and cutting only about 0.002" at a pass.
Tomorrow I'm making molds for the rubber place to use to make new lower wishbone bushings (on metal cores I made from scratch) and upper trunnion (outer) bushings. On this car, like many Austins, Morrises and other British cars of the 1950s and 1960s, the bushings are tapered pairs at each joint, with flanges to keep the parts centered. More lathe work to make the molds for this.
Seems like every "wear part" in the front suspension and steering on this car is no longer available, and most of what I found in this "rebuild" of suspension and steering has been worn beyond any possibility of reusing it. Some parts literally fell apart and can't be reassembled because the wear was so severe.