Hot Rod Forum banner

28061 - 28080 of 34968 Posts

·
put up or shut up
3,144 Posts
every young guy in my trade has spoken negatively about the mandate. Terrible. Tax season should be a good time for everybody who works to get BACK what was initially taken. Seems like some leaders only want it to be a good time for lazy people who don't work.

Anywho, finally after two weeks of having my new truck it's finally a semi decent weekend forecast and I'm not doing any OT unless the kids go play with their buds on a play date. Would be nice to get out there and orbital polish out some swirls but I forgot to order some from Chemical guys. Will do that today so on the next sunny day on the weekend I can take care of some minor swirls. This truck will only see the the orbital as I'd like to keep some meat on the bone for a long lasting luster. I finally care about my vehicle enough to wax it, but first will wait for that polish to arrive. It just feels nice to have a day off and it's not raining. Might take the kiddos somewhere if their plans fall thru. Also gonna go pick up a soldering gun as mine is a head ache.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
You gonna clay bar it first? All I get is blank stares talking about "the mandate", nobody I know seems to have a clue as to what I'm experiencing. Lots of bad things in recent years are the same way and every time theres a mention theres a loss in credibility so I hush and deal. Poorly, usually.

I've learned to deflect blows like this with distractions. Lost count of how many documentaries I used as sedative last night but today the firey negativity has dulled enough to type right and I even tried to help a fellow GP owner on that forum. My willing local support network don't deserve me whining in full force so I'm letting it fade a bit.

Been drawing up Mustang dash in Model A. :cool: If it turns out like anything I'll post it. :)

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
Stupidity strikes again.
My mock-up core was missing some bolts and clearance was fine. Put the missing bolts in and not so much. Tried some heat and pressed in on the oil fill tube with s ballpein and it may just work.

D’OH!

If I swap covers I believe the fill tube will hit the wiper motor.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,332 Posts
I made it to the shop for the first time in a while.

I got the RH transition piece drilled and bolted in.

I also managed to tip the flanges on the inner fender panel and clamp it in place. It fits pretty well but I am not pleased with how much of the frame shows. I am going to shorten it a tad and bring it up over the frame rail. I think it will look much more finished.

John

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,411 Posts
Right on John, again, didn't "work" on the truck but I got the spindles all cleaned up and put in the box to ship out to SIDS for dropping the axle. I got a pitman arm coming that I needed along with a few other parts that my brother picked up today near his house which is 2.5 hours from me. His wife will be bringing to me tomorrow night, WHOOO HOOOO!

I am selling things on eBay as I have mentioned I sold one thing that was up in my attic that paid for the rear shock mounts my brother picked up today for me. :D Damn it's fun to put something on there with a $25 "Buy it now" and starting bid of $10 and it ends up going to $52, LOL I love this stuff!

Brian

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
I made it to the shop for the first time in a while.

I got the RH transition piece drilled and bolted in.

I also managed to tip the flanges on the inner fender panel and clamp it in place. It fits pretty well but I am not pleased with how much of the frame shows. I am going to shorten it a tad and bring it up over the frame rail. I think it will look much more finished.

John

I agree, but maybe it's only because I wanna see more? :mwink:

Reactions: John long

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Had a swap meet to go to.

Day started at 4am loading up.
Left at 630 for a 40 mile trip
Arrived at 730
Unloaded till 845
Sat on my butt from 9-2 selling buying a few things. It wrapped up a hour early due to excessive snowing.
Loaded up and left by 3
Went another 30 miles to another nearby place and picked up a sm465/205 combo leaving there by 5
Drove 50 miles down and unloaded it into a garage till 730
Drove another 30 miles to now sit on my butt at 830.

·
16,411 Posts
Had a swap meet to go to.

Day started at 4am loading up.
Left at 630 for a 40 mile trip
Arrived at 730
Unloaded till 845
Sat on my butt from 9-2 selling buying a few things. It wrapped up a hour early due to excessive snowing.
Loaded up and left by 3
Went another 30 miles to another nearby place and picked up a sm465/205 combo leaving there by 5
Drove 50 miles down and unloaded it into a garage till 730
Drove another 30 miles to now sit on my butt at 830.
Wow, you had a full day!

Brian:thumbup:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I learned a valuable life lesson yesterday... T8 lights and T12 lights do not use the same ballast. I picked up a couple of 30 bulb boxes of T8's at an auction for $4 each. (Each box, not bulb, 60 new bulbs for $9.33 after taxes and fees). I have a couple of two-bulb T12 fixtures in my shed that I'll swap out the ballast in, and take the bulbs over to the shop. I guess I'll just have to make sure that I get T8 fixtures when I light up my carport. Even the LED bulbs that I saw at the big box store say that they require the T8 ballast...

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
I learned a valuable life lesson yesterday... T8 lights and T12 lights do not use the same ballast. I picked up a couple of 30 bulb boxes of T8's at an auction for $4 each. (Each box, not bulb, 60 new bulbs for $9.33 after taxes and fees). I have a couple of two-bulb T12 fixtures in my shed that I'll swap out the ballast in, and take the bulbs over to the shop. I guess I'll just have to make sure that I get T8 fixtures when I light up my carport. Even the LED bulbs that I saw at the big box store say that they require the T8 ballast...
Hmmm...everything I've read about converting fixtures to LED, say to remove the ballast, it's not used...:confused:

Great article about small town dealerships and garages. Pontiac history...:D

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/14/josephs-garage-is-a-pontiac-dealership?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Daily_News_Monday_February_18

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,746 Posts
Looks really goodd ugsy,, I will have to make some type of bracket for my alternator and ac compressor,,i want to mount them as low as possible mabe where the power sterring pump normally mounts as I want to run a manual rack,,If I get to build mine,,big if,:confused:

just a thought what about an adjustable idler for belt tensioner.

BTW ,I FOUND YOU A SET OF TRACTION BARS,,:D:D:D:D:D
Thanks.

Adjustable idler you say....hmmm.....
The spring tension idler for a 1998 Silverado 5.7 works marvelously on my T-bucket. Okay, after looking at your newer posts, I see that you have a spring tensioner. You are amazing Pugsy. :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hmmm...everything I've read about converting fixtures to LED, say to remove the ballast, it's not used...:confused:

That's what I thought, too. I think there are some direct wire LED's out there, but nothing I have seen locally. There is another thread on here that had a link to some of those direct-wire lights. I'll have to see if I can find it again. What I saw on the LED boxes last night said "Works with T8 Ballast".

I've got the corner patch almost finished welding in. I had to get DD the 2nd out there to crawl into the trunk and hold the copper backer in place with a piece of wood. She only yelped a couple of time from dropping sparks, lol. :thumbup: I have a few places that I have to hit again as I can see a pinhole of light from the back side, but not too bad considering what a crummy welder I am. No pics yet, IDJ! I'm building up your suspense.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,746 Posts
Well, I'm back in cold and snowy MN...:mad:

We spent 12 days in San Antonio for sun and warmth. We did get a few days of warmth, but we can count the HOURS of sun we saw on 2 hands...:(
I hauled the Harley all the way down and we rode it for 10 miles, the one afternoon it quit raining and the sun came out. It took 30 minutes to go that 10 miles. MY gawd, the over population and constant congestion of traffic is horrible. We looked at a place about 20 miles out in hill country as a winter get away, but the weather and traffic pretty much erased all thoughts of that location from our searching.

On Tuesday, we got up at 5 am and left the rental house at 6 to get my wife to the airport. It took 45 minutes to drive the 24 miles, but we got there at 6:50 for her 9 am flight. I got back on the freeway at 6:55 and headed north. There were a few "interesting" delays along the way, not to mention the last 120 miles on icy roads that had many vehicles in the ditches.
Anyway, I was trying to make the 1300 miles in 24 hours, but with the delays, I didn't get here until 7:30 yesterday morning.
We had been hearing about all the snow the area was getting and this is what I came home to.
I had to make 6 runs at my shop driveway to get to the building and my plow, which was inside. I kept getting stopped and had to back down and start over on the street each time, which is not easy in itself. The drive is 300 ft long and all uphill. Of course, we had to get 1/2" of freezing rain before the snow and the entire drive was a skating rink. Talk about slow motion plowing and avoiding getting stuck.

Busy day today... I got another load of gravel for the driveway, and got it spread out. I think I'm done with that for a while. Lunch with my bride, and then headed over to the garage. I tinkered with both the planer and the corner patch for the Chevelle. I used a bit of my leftover 1/8 thick luan and fabbed up a simple "dust collector" for the planer. While the glue was drying there, I put a few more tacks in the patch. I think I have all of the welding done to join the two pieces of the patch. I'll know for sure once I finish dressing the welds. I have it back in place on the car to tweak the fit again. Using that copper strip for a backer made all of the difference in the world. IDJ, before shots fired over no pics, I forgot my phone... so no pics. :p

I took dad for a ride in the '57 this evening, too, since he was feeling up to it. His health has been a bit iffy lately, so getting him out in the car was a good thing. It was good to get that ill handling thing out on the road for a bit. The elec choke is doing its thing like it's supposed to, and the brake pull is not as bad as it was. The temp gauge stayed just a tick below 180 for the whole drive, until I got to the last long straight when I stood on it a bit and rolled through the gears. In less than 1/2 mile it jumped up to about 190 while I was hard on the gas, then down to 170 while coasting back down, then back up to 180 for the long slow crawl down the driveway. Odd?
All in all a good day.

Dave
That is just exactly what I would expect the temp to do in those operating parameters.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,746 Posts
I have been buying LED tubes that don't require a ballast and taking the ballast out of the existing fixtures that I have, when the flourescent tubes burn out or the ballasts fail.

I have found that I can buy any electrical stuff that I need from an electrical supply store cheaper by far than I can at any of the box stores. They also know exactly what I need, unlike the guys at the box store who often know less than I do.

Simple procedure, Positive wires go to one end of the tubes and negative to the the other end.

I just did a quick Google search of "no ballast LED's" and came up with multiple instant results, like these:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1...XH6jCUPlFPPOPIKMlJjxQHuSLtZDmHTEaAoR-EALw_wcB

You could leave the ballast in place, but the fixture weighs less than 1/3 as much with the ballast removed.

Two LED tubes cost half as much as a new ballast.

Also I replaced tubes with LEDs and removed ballasts in three (3) fixtures for my step son that had the ballasts fail.

My results are definitely repeatable.

·
16,411 Posts
Man is this wild. I have a guy with a collection of parts trucks basically a wrecking yard specializing in AD trucks that is hours away. But he is minutes away from my brothers house. My brothers wife still lives by me and goes to his house every couple weeks for the weekend. Yes it's odd, don't ask. Well I can order stuff and then she brings it to me! Got a bunch of suspension parts that I was missing delivered to my door just now!

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,746 Posts
Man is this wild. I have a guy with a collection of parts trucks basically a wrecking yard specializing in AD trucks that is hours away. But he is minutes away from my brothers house. My brothers wife still lives by me and goes to his house every couple weeks for the weekend. Yes it's odd, don't ask. Well I can order stuff and then she brings it to me! Got a bunch of suspension parts that I was missing delivered to my door just now!

Brian
I really don't think that is odd, or all that uncommon. They still love each other, but can't live together. It happens.

·
16,411 Posts
Yeah, but soooo far apart, wow.

Brian

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,746 Posts
Yeah, but soooo far apart, wow.

Brian

I just noticed that you have reached the 60 mark. We're getting old. It seems like just (3) years ago that you were 57. :mwink:

And then I remember where the Bible says that the years of man shall be three score and ten or four score if his strength endures. I feel too good to think that I may live only 4 more years. My mother's sister lived to be 100 and my dad's mom lived to 93, and his sister to 90.

28061 - 28080 of 34968 Posts