Hot Rod Forum banner

31481 - 31500 of 34968 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
That looks like Duplex chain to me. Might not make a lot of difference in this case but in some cases if you use two chains they can be a pain to adjust as they wear at different rates.

This is why I didn't want to make something. I don't need to go crawling around later (when I'm older) with PITA issues.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
Went to Pick N Pull and salvaged some broken halogen headlamp sockets. Then came home and converted these:

With these:

To this:

Tested them on the battery in my quad and they worked great. Should be a major improvement over the old 6v. headlight bulbs. I'm planning on switching in LED bulbs for the headlights when they go on my '39 Chevy.

Excellent idea for an upgrade. I bet the price was right. :thumbup:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
Barb had company in yesterday and I have the top platform of the seat sewn. I hope to finish the cushion Friday.:thumbup:

John

Beautiful work there, :thumbup:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
The steer clear is high but that rig is free from gravity, its so high. Nothing personal but seeing these things sometimes makes me sick to my soul. My personal automotive passion is just killed a hundred times over and over knowing its all out of reach and steadily walking off. Watch in amazement and try to maintain, thats me. :sweat:

Why I let my subscriptions run out and why I passed on every chance to go to SEMA... not one bit of it is useful to me. Yet I am surrounded by people bathing their rides in it. How? Sometimes operating on a way different scale than the crowd just stumps me. Its like being the guy giving it his all at the track and getting lapped, that feeling. Still must give all. Of course the thing I think is astronomical is pig feed. Wow thirteen hun. Fer dat? :drunk:

Whew, I think the thing you got is what the A needs, but probably longer.

It was a nice day out and before I got started I dumped some PSF in the GTP to stop her groaning. Thats it. No coolant whiffs and bong noises upon shutdown and thats about as good as it gets :)

The steer clear comes in several sizes up to 14 or 16" drop in increments of 2".

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
Went to Pick N Pull and salvaged some broken halogen headlamp sockets. Then came home and converted these:

Tested them on the battery in my quad and they worked great. Should be a major improvement over the old 6v. headlight bulbs. I'm planning on switching in LED bulbs for the headlights when they go on my '39 Chevy.
You did do a very nice conversion, but I personally won't put turn signals that close to the headlights. I can't stand most of the modern cars that do that, as the signals are nearly impossible to see at night, against the blinding light of the headlight. I feel it's much safer to have the signals separated by at least 6-8", as I believe should be the law with production vehicles.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
So, you don't think much of the steer clear unit? Just wondering how many steering u-joints you can safely put in a hot rod
Sorry?
If I'm buying a Steer Clear, how is it I don't think much of them?

Just happened to start the clearancing for it today.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
So, you don't think much of the steer clear unit? Just wondering how many steering u-joints you can safely put in a hot rod

Safely?
I would say up to a hundred as long as the angle of each is not greater than max spec, enough supports are used with brackets welded properly, and every single set screw is dimple drilled, Loctited, and jamb nutted. :thumbup:

Of course, ideally, no good, as each U joint will eventually get a bit of play and the more, the sloppier. But safely, no worries.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
This patch was a real brow beater, let me tell you. :mwink: Looks so simple, yet such a pain in the arse....

Sure hope the size posted on their website is correct.......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You did do a very nice conversion, but I personally won't put turn signals that close to the headlights. I can't stand most of the modern cars that do that, as the signals are nearly impossible to see at night, against the blinding light of the headlight. I feel it's much safer to have the signals separated by at least 6-8", as I believe should be the law with production vehicles.
You didn't notice the original setup? My conversion didn't change location from the original, only improved the lighting from original. And I was very surprised that not only is it brighter headlights, but also brighter signals. Even with the headlights connected to the high beam circuit, the turn signal lamps in amber show up extremely well. If it's dangerous, then I guess it was really dangerous originally.
At a long distance there may be some blurring of the two lamps, but then at long distance it wont matter if someone sees the turn signals as well as they do at a couple hundred feet.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
This patch was a real brow beater, let me tell you. :mwink: Looks so simple, yet such a pain in the arse....

Sure hope the size posted on their website is correct.......

Yes, lets hope. Looks like it might have been a hassle but you got it. I probably would have abandoned trying to have the little lip and welded on that line instead.:drunk:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
Any photos of your brake pedal area and what steering coolumn are you using, length, etc?

Funny you mention.
I just finished cutting down a 1992 Firebird column. About 24" from back of steering wheel to tip of shaft. I still need to plug weld the two shafts together after I get the Steer Clear unit.

Check post 205 in my build thread for brake stuff.......

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
Yes, lets hope. Looks like it might have been a hassle but you got it. I probably would have abandoned trying to have the little lip and welded on that line instead.:drunk:

With the mig, the inside corners are a breeze. With the tig, overheat big time to have the rod in there to smooth up.

I need a MIG. :(

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
With the mig, the inside corners are a breeze. With the tig, overheat big time to have the rod in there to smooth up.

I need a MIG. :(
Can't argue with that. Thought you might have picked one up already. Wouldn't TIG ing from the other side solve that though?

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
You didn't notice the original setup? My conversion didn't change location from the original, only improved the lighting from original. And I was very surprised that not only is it brighter headlights, but also brighter signals. Even with the headlights connected to the high beam circuit, the turn signal lamps in amber show up extremely well. If it's dangerous, then I guess it was really dangerous originally.
At a long distance there may be some blurring of the two lamps, but then at long distance it wont matter if someone sees the turn signals as well as they do at a couple hundred feet.
I wondered if it originally had signals at all, or whether the existing ones may have been added. Mainly I liked how you just riveted in a section of modern lamp to get the sockets you want. For what its worth, I am anti-LED so if you skipped swapping to those later it sure wouldn't bother me none. In any event, turn signals not visible from the side are a compromise where safety and beauty can meet. Maybe not what a safety hound chases after but perhaps legal on an old car that doesn't even require side markers.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I wondered if it originally had signals at all, or whether the existing ones may have been added. Mainly I liked how you just riveted in a section of modern lamp to get the sockets you want. For what its worth, I am anti-LED so if you skipped swapping to those later it sure wouldn't bother me none. In any event, turn signals not visible from the side are a compromise where safety and beauty can meet. Maybe not what a safety hound chases after but perhaps legal on an old car that doesn't even require side markers.
LED's are not my favorite lighting either, especially on old cars. But LED headlights really don't look like LED marker, or tailights. They have the same look as a regular halogen light, except for being a little brighter, which I prefer. They also draw less amperage, and run cooler, so I'll be using them to ensure the reflector paint doesn't get baked off from heat.
As for side marker lights, or lights that can be seen from the side. I wont be modifying my '39 with any of that sort of thing. Even if it makes the car more visible from the side it would detract from the overall look of the car, so it's not going to happen.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,388 Posts
Can't argue with that. Thought you might have picked one up already. Wouldn't TIG ing from the other side solve that though?

No. You get round balls on the good side about 1/16+ diameter.
So, trying to be a good metal shaper, bend it, what the heck.
I actually set an alert for Migs 2 weeks ago on the used site. Then I deleted it because I just don't have the space.

31481 - 31500 of 34968 Posts