Hot Rod Forum banner

33581 - 33600 of 34026 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Cleaned up the garage shed, and barn. Took a trip to the dump and swung into a yard sale on the way back where I picked this baby up for $5.
I fired it up and it works great. The disc even look like new.

Now I have no need for another grinder I have half a dozen. But I turned the thing and the bearings had this thing rotating and rotating and its still going.

Then I get the idea of this little wind chime thing that came with the house and I just have not taken down.

If I was to mount two of those things made out of 2 liters onto each end of this bench grinder that puppy has potential to make a nice wind generator.

Now I know nothing about electric motors. But I am willing to learn and like to learn new things. So I tore into this thing and in fact it is like freaking new.

So the rest of my night and a couple hours this weekend will be learning how to turn this little thing into a generator.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,705 Posts
Nice find. I can never find them used. Need one at work and the thought of buying another new piece of crap has us without a bench grinder.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,080 Posts
My pedal is now drilled with a couple of extra holes. The Z-bar lever is also drilled and has been installed back in the car.

The Mustang/Bronco clutch rod boot I ordered requires a 1 1/2” hole but the closest I have is a 1 3/8” Greenlee punch. The boot should be here tomorrow so we will see how it is going to work out.

Time in the shop is getting increasingly hard to come by.

John

·
Registered
537 Posts
I FINALLY found a place local that still carries some of the black ABS pipe fittings. They were mighty proud of them, too. Sheesh... At any rate, I have one cooking down in a mason jar of acetone now. Hopefully I will be able to get it to the consistency of pudding so I can use it to "glue" my bezel back together. I have another part of the dash that needs to be glued back in place, too. IF the "ABS pudding" stuff works I will finally be able to get the bezel died to match the rest of the dash. Or what's left of it, anyway. It worked for a guy on You-tube, but he used ABS airsoft bb's. Couldn't find any of them locally, either. Then I still have to figure out how to secure the bezel to the dash along the top. I think I have that worked out, but I will need to get it in place first.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,225 Posts
Bought a couple new Craftsman cabinets and got them put into place. I really like the "Proudly Made In The USA". Not to sure about the other part.
I read about those type labels. They are deceiving to fool the public that they are buying "American", when the parts are manufactured in china and shipped here to be "assembled". ...MADE in the USA... :confused:

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,225 Posts
Thought I posted this last night,, but I don't see it on here. Wouldn't be the first time time I did a "review" and then close the window without posting...:rolleyes:

I bought an used wheel for the Silverado, to replace the scuffed one from the divider scrape last year.
And I had to remove a 2x4 in the room divider at the back of the shop and replace it with a 4x4 for a future header beam. Then the wife and I cut and put up the insulation. She drives the forklift and lifts me up to start the stapling at the top and we work our way down. That old forklift is a manual trans too...;)
She had a 1985 Prelude with a 5 speed when I met her. Gotta love a woman who knows how to work a stick...:mwink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Last week I was in here extolling the virtues of ice as first aid, and doing good. Today I botched my own first aid. One of those bottom fender bolts had put a rip in the bolt slot and I grabbed that end while cutting foam loose.

Got a tiny left middle fingerprint slice. Took a few to start bleeding and I kept on but man it hurt a little more'n it should. I figured deep maybe. Took the bullhead approach and just wrapped it with bandaid tape from my lunchbox and back I went, at it.

Endo the day I peels the tape and oh... piece of "metal" :rolleyes: in there. And some more whats all this gunk. :embarrass

I'll take a can of that Duh now. Toss me one, wouldya Pugs.:cool: Is that stuff safe to irrigate a wound with?:D

I have a little prospecting to do.:pain: Magnet no help on this one.;)

Wow did I ever encounter a jerk in a Mustang on the way home. Backed into my lane going about ten in reverse with the GTP that many yards away. Then at the light, went right on red pulling out in front of another car who had to slam brakes.

I was reminded of a song I heard today... "with the glass so dark, they won't even know your name." This joker had that. Hope they could read lips in the rearview through it.:mad:
You do own a pocket knife dont you,,:D,,

I normaly use kerosene ar diesel just pour it liberly across the cut,it normally womt even bet sore and Very Rarly will it get infected,, i have been working on my truck and stuck my hand and arn it the fuel tank until bellding stops and nost times it dont get sore,, i worked in the laundry a couple months after school for dying carpet, i have used the bleach,,it will heal it real fast but it does burn,

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
You do own a pocket knife dont you,,:D,,

I normaly use kerosene ar diesel just pour it liberly across the cut,it normally womt even bet sore and Very Rarly will it get infected,, i have been working on my truck and stuck my hand and arn it the fuel tank until bellding stops and nost times it dont get sore,, i worked in the laundry a couple months after school for dying carpet, i have used the bleach,,it will heal it real fast but it does burn,
Not that I keep in my pocket but yeah. Sewing needle and magnifying glass couldn't get it all. Waited too long and that was my point. Those things you mention doing are not good sir. :eek:

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Thought I posted this last night,, but I don't see it on here. Wouldn't be the first time time I did a "review" and then close the window without posting...:rolleyes:

I bought an used wheel for the Silverado, to replace the scuffed one from the divider scrape last year.
And I had to remove a 2x4 in the room divider at the back of the shop and replace it with a 4x4 for a future header beam. Then the wife and I cut and put up the insulation. She drives the forklift and lifts me up to start the stapling at the top and we work our way down. That old forklift is a manual trans too...;)
She had a 1985 Prelude with a 5 speed when I met her. Gotta love a woman who knows how to work a stick...:mwink:
Reminds me of the year we had the grey Firebird at SEMA. An Acura parked next to it had every human interface item on it formed in the shape of shiny black male reproductive organs.:eek::D

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not that I keep in my pocket but yeah. Sewing needle and magnifying glass couldn't get it all. Waited too long and that was my point. Those things you mention doing are not good sir. :eek:
Yep. I've been there before. Usually end up waiting a couple of days for it to fester a little, then squeeze it like a zit. The offensive item usually works it's way a little closer to the surface where I can get it. Admittedly not the best way to go, but sometimes the path is chosen for you...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Me thinks I'm back to square one with the ABS pudding thing. The fitting melted, but man does that stuff look chunky and nasty. Not a pudding that I would find tasty. Dude on you tube had some goo that looked exactly like vanilla pudding. Used air soft BBs. I was using a plastic spoon to stir it, and the spoon started melting, which got me thinking that I may have spent days running all over town looking for something that ended up not working when I had what I needed the whole time. That's my luck. Anyway, spent most of the day trying to get the lumpy ground beside the garage tilled up so I could rake it out. Tiller said NOPE. First the recoil spring popped out. Today was the first time that I have ever successfully replaced one of those, but it took some time. Then the recoil clutch went crazy. Got that sorted out, and the carb started acting up again. Evidently there was still some garbage hanging out in the tank that I didn't get last time. Since I had the tank removed from the carb, I figured it would be a good time to replace the pickup tubes. The deep one is cracked and it "runs out of gas" at about half tank. Nope. Briggs listing, by the model number, is much too small for the deep one. If I can't find the correct part for that I'll use a piece of tygon tube and a weedeater filter on the bottom of the copper tube. Was looking forward to finishing all that and taking the 57 up to the cruise-in tonight. Got out of the shower to the sounds of thunder and rain on the roof. Wonderful...

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,365 Posts
No Merthiolate in the stores any more but Johnson&Johnson sells a BAND-AID brand liquid antiseptic for about $3 for 6 fl. oz. bottle that I like better than the antiseptic creams that only kill certain kinds of germs, it works fast, it also takes the pain/itch out...

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,705 Posts
We've got 5: PM cruises on Thursday and Friday nights, but seems to almost always rain at 4: PM on those days...

Your rain usually arrives here at 5:30 - 6 PM....now I know who to blame it on...ha....

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Use hdpe. It is recycling ♻ 2 on the lable.
It melts down easily to a plyable state with no fumes.

Some soda bottle caps, cofee containers, etc use it.
I picked up 15 or so plastic pepsi (the kind distributiors use to carry the cans) containers a week ago for $1 at a auction. All hdpe and easily melted down inside a oven with no fumes.

ABS is a pain to work with. Even 3d printing the stuff off a spool is a headache. Hdpe on the other hand can be melted to abs to make repairs,(machined), sanded, and then painted for a low cost fix.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
No Merthiolate in the stores any more but Johnson&Johnson sells a BAND-AID brand liquid antiseptic for about $3 for 6 fl. oz. bottle that I like better than the antiseptic creams that only kill certain kinds of germs, it works fast, it also takes the pain/itch out...
I remember that stuff. ;)

That prompted the question... Do they still make Mercury cars, or? :confused: Did it die?

Oh and I am no 496 David, up to my elbow in unleaded, :D but a dab of acetone on a mosquito bite, or cheap thinner, puts a stop to the itch. :)

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Yep. I've been there before. Usually end up waiting a couple of days for it to fester a little, then squeeze it like a zit. The offensive item usually works it's way a little closer to the surface where I can get it. Admittedly not the best way to go, but sometimes the path is chosen for you...

Now that we have an obsolete first aid technique / product discussion going, I can think of at least half a dozen different products from kiddo daze that are no longer. I'm sparing you guys by not rattling off names, so as not to fuel that fire. ;) Everybody sit quietly and think of five of them and that can be your homework.

Plastic butter, eh. Trip, never heard of.:confused: Like you, when I have a need I consult youtube.

My healing approach seems to be working, I rely on ointment to soak in and push the dirt out. Kept it clean all day. Make my own all day bandages. On and off with tight gloves a dozen times, never budged and never got wet handwashing. See? :thumbup: Oh, oops that was my thumb. :D

Not unlike when your wrenching turns into a lot dirtier job than you thought and you scrub up but still have black on your elbows at the supper table. Lotion up before you go back to work til dark, then by bedtime the stuff washes off.

Hygiene, with IDJ. :rolleyes:

33581 - 33600 of 34026 Posts