Hot Rod Forum banner

33901 - 33920 of 34026 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Results. #1 was first race where it broke loose. I finally got my nerve back by the 3rd race.

View attachment 523827 View attachment 523828

Previous results before adding No Hops and tuning in a whack more timing.

View attachment 523829
Thats much more like it. Nice going.:cool:(y) This is about the difference I got by switching to 255/60s in the pits, from taller tires. And about where I ended up, only it was the 1-2 shift that got the little fishtail. I was needing to try bigger secondary jets and still do 18 years later.:rolleyes: You'll break into 13s if you stay at it.

There were yellow birds also. No idea who the target market was on those abominations.

Off to tackle the stack of chores skipped last weekend. Yee haw!

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
My Brother has been found although not in the best of condition. He is in a local (To Him) Hospital. He is fighting a bad pancreas and when the wildfires hit he had a chronic attack and they hospitalized him with a Blockage of a bile duct. He has had surgery and hopefully will be OK soon. I called him this morning and talked to him about 2 minutes but he was still pretty out of it. I really hope he gets better soon as he and I are all that is left of our family. Some good thoughts his way just might be what he needs!!
Damn, prayers going this way.

Brian

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I got out of work at 4am came home and just looked at the s10 for about a hour letting the gears grind. This is a fun build. not meant for speed just something fun to cruise around in and scare the people in sub divisions.

Then I came up with a fun idea and after measuring a couple dozen times it looks like it is going to work while staying within budget.

I tore out the fuel tank removed the bolts holding the cab on, several other things that will not be needed, and everything I could think of to pull this cab off. The cab is ready to lift off the frame with a majority of the interior still assembled.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,705 Posts
Nah, fake burnout. Brake torque. Tires don't spin much at all on launch. Stock torque converter.
This car is built for cruising with decent mileage. Going to the track is just for giggles.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Been awhile since I posted any updates on my '39 project, but it is still moving along. Sometimes forward, but sometimes backward too!

I got quotes for just doing a little work on my bucket seats. Wanted the inserts replaced with my diamond pattern black naugahyde, but shops were crazy priced, and some didn't even want me to drop by so they could do an estimate. Prices ranged from $550 to do just the two small inserts, to almost $2,000 for the same. And this was with me supplying the material, and bringing the seats to them!
So I decided I should buy a machine and learn to sew. Began searching Craigslist, and found a refurbished Japanese clone of a old Singer Industrial machine. Seller had me stop by and watch him sew some pretty heavy leather together, and I bought it for a paltry $250. No walking foot, or even reverse, but such a reasonable price I figured I'd try it, and keep it instead of reselling it after I was done. He also tossed in a cabinet that he had sitting there, so tough to go wrong.
I removed both seats and ripped the seams out of the panels. Then traced them on the back of my material, and began sewing one set together. I test fitted it to the seat, and immediately saw I'd sewn it too large. Had to take it off, split the seams, and sew it much smaller to make for a better fit. But it fit nicely, so moved on to the 2nd seat.

Sewing the ends of the seams required me to leave the needle in the material, then lift the foot and turn it 180 degrees to finish the seams. A little hassle, but not bad.
I got the covers built for both seats, and installed on them. I bought a big bag of hog rings, and found that Harbor Freight actually had a nice heavy duty 8" pair of hog ring pliers, which made installation a lot better with the long handles!
Back in the car, and done. My first try at upholstery, so not quite perfect, but it cost me less than the lowest estimate, even counting material, sewing machine, and everything. And I've got a good HD machine to keep now.

And for the backwards movement, I tore the engine partially down. I had a strange noise in the valve train, and after numerous attempts to adjust lash, with no help, I finally called Howards Cams for help. The tech immediately said it sounded like one of my hydraulic roller lifters was plugged with debris. Of course no way to check, so had to pull the intake and replace lifters.
I decided while it was apart I'd swap them all out, and also change out all the valve springs to Comp high lift .550" springs, and a set of Comp Magnum forged steel roller rockers. Not an easy task to pressurize cylinders, and do intake/exhaust springs in place! My fingers are still sore over a week later from cranking down my spring compressor to remove and reinstall the springs! But got them all done in about 4-5 hours.

Reassembled, adjusted, and she's running like new again! Put about 400 miles on it since the work, and all seems great again. Planning a 900 mile trip in early October, so trying to rack up miles to ensure it's good again, and wont be an issue to take on the trip.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,080 Posts
Been awhile since I posted any updates on my '39 project, but it is still moving along. Sometimes forward, but sometimes backward too!

I got quotes for just doing a little work on my bucket seats. Wanted the inserts replaced with my diamond pattern black naugahyde, but shops were crazy priced, and some didn't even want me to drop by so they could do an estimate. Prices ranged from $550 to do just the two small inserts, to almost $2,000 for the same. And this was with me supplying the material, and bringing the seats to them!
So I decided I should buy a machine and learn to sew. Began searching Craigslist, and found a refurbished Japanese clone of a old Singer Industrial machine. Seller had me stop by and watch him sew some pretty heavy leather together, and I bought it for a paltry $250. No walking foot, or even reverse, but such a reasonable price I figured I'd try it, and keep it instead of reselling it after I was done. He also tossed in a cabinet that he had sitting there, so tough to go wrong.
I removed both seats and ripped the seams out of the panels. Then traced them on the back of my material, and began sewing one set together. I test fitted it to the seat, and immediately saw I'd sewn it too large. Had to take it off, split the seams, and sew it much smaller to make for a better fit. But it fit nicely, so moved on to the 2nd seat.

Sewing the ends of the seams required me to leave the needle in the material, then lift the foot and turn it 180 degrees to finish the seams. A little hassle, but not bad.
I got the covers built for both seats, and installed on them. I bought a big bag of hog rings, and found that Harbor Freight actually had a nice heavy duty 8" pair of hog ring pliers, which made installation a lot better with the long handles!
Back in the car, and done. My first try at upholstery, so not quite perfect, but it cost me less than the lowest estimate, even counting material, sewing machine, and everything. And I've got a good HD machine to keep now.

And for the backwards movement, I tore the engine partially down. I had a strange noise in the valve train, and after numerous attempts to adjust lash, with no help, I finally called Howards Cams for help. The tech immediately said it sounded like one of my hydraulic roller lifters was plugged with debris. Of course no way to check, so had to pull the intake and replace lifters.
I decided while it was apart I'd swap them all out, and also change out all the valve springs to Comp high lift .550" springs, and a set of Comp Magnum forged steel roller rockers. Not an easy task to pressurize cylinders, and do intake/exhaust springs in place! My fingers are still sore over a week later from cranking down my spring compressor to remove and reinstall the springs! But got them all done in about 4-5 hours.

Reassembled, adjusted, and she's running like new again! Put about 400 miles on it since the work, and all seems great again. Planning a 900 mile trip in early October, so trying to rack up miles to ensure it's good again, and wont be an issue to take on the trip.
I like your first sewing attempt. It looks very good in the pictures.

I finally invested in a compound feed machine. If you decide you enjoy it, you can always upgrade down the road. I find the sewing to be very satisfying and it is nice that people can see your hard work, unlike pulling wrenches.

John

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Thanks John!
I too enjoyed it more than I thought I would.even having to rip the first one out to redo it didn't really bother me. I hope to make good use of this old sewing machine in the future. Seller told me this Universal brand was such a good copy of the Singer that parts even fit it from Singers.
I have a great resource locally at Montavilla Sewing Machine Center if it ever needs any parts or servicing. Just 5 blocks away, and I took it over there for an examination right after I bought it. The tech said the Universal was a great machine, although limited by no reverse or walking foot.
I've got some other leather projects I need to repair, so I'll be using it occasionally for that. Trying to avoid doing any other's auto upholstery, as I'm swamped with my own hobbies, and lack of time now.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,080 Posts
Several companies have cloned the old singers. BTW, if you need to lock your stitch, you don’t need to turn your work around 180*. Sew Three stitches, raise your foot and just move your material back those three stitches and over sew them. Much easier and quicker....... Keep up the good work.

John

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
I'm calling this my first success shading and coloring with the computer. As far as I know, I will be building this. From a fairly junky hood. ;)

Scope that puppy at full size. Always have wanted to try doing an easy one nice as I can. That ^^^ image is leaning against the farthest fencepost in my field of ability. Whether I like trendy drama hoods or not is beside the point. I am proud of that pic. :D

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Several companies have cloned the old singers. BTW, if you need to lock your stitch, you don’t need to turn your work around 180*. Sew Three stitches, raise your foot and just move your material back those three stitches and over sew them. Much easier and quicker....... Keep up the good work.

John
Great info John! And much easier than turning things around. This machine is really heavy! We've got a couple antique household Singer machines, and this sure looks like a larger version of those. Physically larger, plus a larger motor.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,080 Posts
I'm calling this my first success shading and coloring with the computer. As far as I know, I will be building this. From a fairly junky hood. ;)
View attachment 523863

Scope that puppy at full size. Always have wanted to try doing an easy one nice as I can. That ^^^ image is leaning against the farthest fencepost in my field of ability. Whether I like trendy drama hoods or not is beside the point. I am proud of that pic. :D
I like that better than any of the other renditions. It is very clean and not so "busy." Sell that one to the owner!👍

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I found a engine for the 94s10.

1986 2.5 tbi said to have "low miles" Mated to a T4 complete for $150. I did need to make a 240 mile round trip to get it. But this is exactly what I wanted for this build at a great price. I love the 2.5 tbi engine and for around $500 I can have affordable make me a harness with (price includes the programed ecm) to run the fuel injection fully standalone making everything plug and play.

Grabbing the engine killed most of the day. But, the sun came out and I said screw it I am pulling that cab.
I got the cab on the bed of my 87 and everything put away as the sun was setting.

Now to play with pulling this engine/transmission and then cutting down the frame.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,225 Posts
View attachment 523863

ALRIGHT !! I like that style and it could be easier to pull off than the other stuff we have been seeing.

Is that a Cavalier in the background ? We have one and he lays just like that, with his head between his paws and goes to sleep. It's SO damned cute. Most gentle, lovable little animal we have ever encountered.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
That hood looks great.
The frosted side of me imagines a horizontal mounted intercooler hiding just under the hood to dump heat out those vents.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
I am having so much fun with my son's stair railing! I got it all done, had it powder coated and done, yeah right. One little problem, I didn't trail fit it! OMG it fit like CRAP because the walls aren't perfect! I did it with a square and level, what was I thinking. I gave up and made a whole new one. I have trail fit it, no kidding, about 6 times already. I was there three times today! I would weld somethings, change something, then drive 10 minutes to his house and trial fit it and drive back. Well, damn it, it's looking good and I only now need to fully weld it and then grind all the welds to perfection.

If you need a railing made for a stairwell...............go find someone else because I will NEVER make that mistake again!

Brian

Attachments

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
I like that better than any of the other renditions. It is very clean and not so "busy." Sell that one to the owner!👍
He is working with Murray Pfaff on the whole truck and this is where they ended up. Gary says it is whats hot on recent builds. But the owner also asked me about the Dodge truck looking idea.

The purpose of the image is just to provide enough description of the shape for him to approve and me to plan. They had the side slot the full length of the trim for example. Hood hinges and brace are in the way so I shortened the slot. They will probably bob a molding. I needed something that would tell me is there supposed to be a bead around this opening, etc. Should be a fun fight. ;)

That hood looks great.
The frosted side of me imagines a horizontal mounted intercooler hiding just under the hood to dump heat out those vents.
Ha! Mini-wheats wasn't it? The toasted side of me knows it has an intercooler with a 2-3 gal tank that has to go somewhere.

You're durn near halfway to iron duke kart. Get down, Leroy Brown.

ALRIGHT !! I like that style and it could be easier to pull off than the other stuff we have been seeing.
I have airflow concerns, with vents in front, on sides, and on top. Think about the underside. Thats a noggin scratcher now. What I don't want is to make something that whistles at 65 or creates some as yet unknown weather anomaly. Are you seeing how far down inside the hood they go? I am left wondering what you see when you step closer to the hood and look in there. I made a question page but cast it aside knowing how I am. But I wonder if air will now come in at the sides when moving. What is the orientation of the inlet screens or mesh and how far down in are the top vents? Thats my biggie.

Weekend over, rats. I drove them all, what else is there to do? The 'P is finally washed and oiled but boy that blower coupler is getting growly. I think. Back to touchy door patch and hopefully good concentration this week.

33901 - 33920 of 34026 Posts