Hot Rod Forum banner

33921 - 33940 of 34026 Posts

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,225 Posts
I am having so much fun with my son's stair railing! I got it all done, had it powder coated and done, yeah right. One little problem, I didn't trail fit it! OMG it fit like CRAP because the walls aren't perfect! I did it with a square and level, what was I thinking. I gave up and made a whole new one.
Brian
Silly you, walls are never square or plumb. You forgot your metal working rule book because it's a house, but they are no different than a car.....measure 3 times and STILL make it wrong... :p

Glad you got it done, but is this son #1, or did Nick move into his own place ?

·
2,225 Posts
He is working with Murray Pfaff on the whole truck and this is where they ended up. Gary says it is whats hot on recent builds. But the owner also asked me about the Dodge truck looking idea.

The purpose of the image is just to provide enough description of the shape for him to approve and me to plan.

I have airflow concerns, with vents in front, on sides, and on top. Think about the underside. Thats a noggin scratcher now. What I don't want is to make something that whistles at 65 or creates some as yet unknown weather anomaly.

I have no doubt the design will evolve with time and input. I just like the general appearance. It fits the hood shape better than some of the raised renderings.
With being nearly stone deaf in the high frequency range, a whistle at 65 wouldn't bother me at all. Probably drive passengers nuts, but that's their problem...:D

·
2,225 Posts
I was working on the shop ceiling for 11 hours on Sat and the wife was out there for about 7 hours of that too. After 6 hours on Sunday, I was close enough to being ready for insulation, that I said screw it, lets RIDE and we took off for a couple hours on the Harley.
The chimney is as done as it will get and all the ceiling panels are in place, along with the front wall, above the door. I added more framing for the side panels on the cove to be upright, like the front and back walls. I WAS going to have them run length wise with the ceiling panels, but that would have conflicted with the vertical panels on the ends. I, now, think it will look better with all the cove side panels being the same orientation, and they will match the side walls, when they get put on.
First pic is how I install 10x3 ft sheets by myself. I stack boxes on the pallet and raise it into close proximity to where it goes and then climb up the ladder to pull into final position and screw it in.

I'm about on the same page as Brian now, with never wanting to do this kind of work again.

DSC06713.JPG

DSC06715.JPG

DSC06717.JPG

DSC06718.JPG

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Is that a Cavalier in the background ? We have one and he lays just like that, with his head between his paws and goes to sleep. It's SO damned cute. Most gentle, lovable little animal we have ever encountered.
That's Aiko, a Japanese Chin. Barkless, and rarely makes any noises beyond very low level grunts. She's never more than a few feet away from me if I'm indoors, and lays at the door waiting for me if I'm outside.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
Silly you, walls are never square or plumb. You forgot your metal working rule book because it's a house, but they are no different than a car.....measure 3 times and STILL make it wrong... :p

Glad you got it done, but is this son #1, or did Nick move into his own place ?
It's my older boy, Nick is still mooching off me. LOL

Brian

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
I have no doubt the design will evolve with time and input. I just like the general appearance. It fits the hood shape better than some of the raised renderings.
With being nearly stone deaf in the high frequency range, a whistle at 65 wouldn't bother me at all. Probably drive passengers nuts, but that's their problem...:D
All true. Looks good sitting on a stand. Does it belong on a 50s truck with stock door handles? :unsure:

Moving the vents to the top was going to be the smart one. This will add at least one interstate-reliable vehicle's worth to the job.

I wasn't meaning to pick at your kind words but felt a need to point out the thorns on that rose bush.

Two more hours with a long heavy spoon in each hand this morning just getting to a point of brave enough for another row of tacks. By the 20 minute mark my bum hand was done. Typing now with a numb finger that feels like theres something tied around it. I kept going.

Speaking of handicaps, both thumbs can only be trusted for things a corn fed ten year old could be. The left randomly bites. Hard. I yelp. Dropping things is just part of life now. I still get mad at that kid. But! I have stumbled onto what might help with the biter and or the cause of left side problems. Nearby scarring and knotted skin from that. Only becomes a problem when starting to get old. Massage and soap and lotion is about the only way to help it and I noticed something, well, maybe good enough to share like the ice fix.

At 15 I was getting in the back of the Citation at school and bro took off before I was in. Caught like a inch and a half of flat spot on top of my left wrist, road rash, gone flesh. Just about like the corner of chin I ground off wrecking skateboard at 20. Then in my early 20s with a gallon of Imron under my elbow, pushed open a big glass windowed door that the uniform guy had left a wrinkle in the mat outside of. Ripped open about half a foot of left forearm near wrist.

And I never recognized the importance of massaging scars until late 40s. So I find that now theres pretty much a skin tourniquet on left wrist. On top of that, heavy glove use doesn't help but mainly these short bodies on all the air tools ends up blasting into the heel of my palm when not gloved. That forms a callous (?) that we don't really notice.

So a man like myself anyway... needs to allocate time for hands to maintain one another. If you are reading this, rub / lightly scratch around the knuckle at the base of your thumb. Other fingers too. You'll see what I mean. Where palm turns to wrist is where I think I lose a good bit of circulation. Might help ya.

That concludes today's episode of hygiene with IDJ. We all learn unique lessons and skin problems from past injuries is my specialty it seems. You northerners must each keep a bathtub filled with lotion if not encountering the same things.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Oh, lol. Sorry. Came to say it sure was nice to get in a clean car today. And not listen to low on fluid PS pump or kick self about dirty oil. I was hoping to come in and go straight to welding but no... this patch is requiring hobbyist patience. But I am winning. :)

·
2,225 Posts
Yup, old wounds and scars only get worse with time. I folded my right thumb nearly back to my wrist on a forklift in my 20's. A few years ago, it started bothering me more than just occasionally. Now it's about daily that the tendon will pull and cause pain, and yes, tool dropping. I just spent 2 friggen HOURS grinding burrs off the ends of 10 36" wide panels I cut from 2, 10' sheets. I can't even hold the angle grinder anymore today. I'm done.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Ziplock baggies and water bottle threads give me fits. Hands are about gone. Been brushing up on my art so I can be a mouth and foot artist later. Ground clamps are two handers for me and that can nudge the thread steering back where it belongs. Fair warning, it was an anti-Matter today. I fought every step of the way plus the commute was a vicious one.

Going right past all door day reporting (man thats nice), I found our dent puller inoperative. Thats the little yellow Spitznagel resistance welder thingy at the shop....

Plug it in, yes. Connect ground clamp no. Busted. OK I'll just use a C-clamp and clamp the clamp.

Switch it on. No light. OK, check plug you just plugged in. In. Try again.

Light on in switch. Test function. Worked but didn't stick the pull pin. OK, um.

When we got it, used, there was no plug on the cord. I installed a given plug, with screw terminals. That was several years ago.

I don't know if the plug body is missing a piece or if someone else has been there since or what but theres a cap ( like a crank or rod ) intended to clamp the cord securely to the plug body. The cap has cord grippy things on it but not the body. So some sort of padding must go there.

I had found and split a short length of thick heater hose initially and it gripped the cord itself and gave a tad of cord support at the plug. Fast forward to today, when it worked but didn't stick a pull pin on the first shot.

Figuring I was back in action now, I sat down to do the task. Welp, switch light not on now. Wiggle cord. Yep, light.

Daaa-aamm itttman. The task might have fit into this afternoon. Run, IDJ, run!

So I gets the plug apart and puts the ground wire back in terminal. Could barely hold pliers and pocket screwdriver was murder. Saying this as I sit here contemplating talk-to-type technology and kissing colorful forum speech goodbye because my fingers and wrist are still toast from the fruitless slapper fest inside the door. Hurt like hell to hold the cord against the twist in it and feeling like a fussy infant I clamped the dadgum cord to my cart. Even the clamp...Woops. I'll get this told yet. It fits in on the thread for once. Backspace hurts finger more, leaving the whiny stuff in... but I miss half the soft keys.

Trimmed that piece of split hose down until I had an inch of C shape at the end. Put that under the cap. C-clamped the friggin cap so I could start screws :rolleyes:. All is well and that should prevent a repeat. Swell.

Back at the door, with urge to kill rising and whole day shot to hell... we get to the dangerous part.

C-clamping the ground back on the door seemed utterly ridiculous. Deep breath. Unbolt cord from clamp. To the vise with it. Clamp it open. Now, whats to keep it from jumping out while I fix? Nothing. Must hand hold. Awright, hold. Bend cracked clamp foot arm back in place, so far so good. Weld. Make missing foot for other side of clamp, weld that in.

Now, grind welds one handed with the rock an inch from left hand, holding the works. I managed it. Now, check contact area of clamp after all that. A pinpoint is all. OK, flat file while holding open, on knee and making contact with both sides at once. Went from pinpoint to at least pinhead. Good enuf.

Might as well clean this cable end before bolting back on, OK. While I am at it, how come the terminal is hanging off the very end of the handle where it wants to twist the clamp off the work because the cord is so huge and stiff? It used to be bolted out by the foot.

Lets see, what size are this bolt and this slot where it goes? 3/8" bolt and washers, 7/16 slot in clamp, half inch ID terminal end. Psssht. Bolt bin, 3/8" washer. Weld to each side of slot. Grind both sides. Notch clamp handle for terminal so it fits inside handle.

Back together. Beautiful! Hour left. I sit again. Starting off near the old lower hinge spot, the morning's problem area, I see a small nearby ding and decide to sand it clean so I can zap a pin there. Sanding maps out other nearby defects. Glance at clock. Accept fate.

Knock all primer off bottom half of door face. Oh dear Lord, someone used to park this door next to a pole then let the kids pile out. Entire center area is a plethora of flat spots and dents. Shallow stuff. You saw how good it looked. This was the door that the bottom of had rusted through all the way across. So pre-straightening would have been a joke and it looked clean in dull epoxy. I write the report in my log. 15 minutes left and tools scattered. Sigh. I got the first ten minutes of pull pin work in. Theres a ton but access in center is more sane.

Me, maybe not so much. But the dent puller zaps like a champion. woohoo

Easier to just tap post reply than to backspace it all so there ya go gents. I better just munch and hit the sack. Damn. We all want that truck on the frame looking proud on Thursday. That door is in the way now so crap. Typical me, thats all.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Yup, old wounds and scars only get worse with time. I folded my right thumb nearly back to my wrist on a forklift in my 20's. A few years ago, it started bothering me more than just occasionally. Now it's about daily that the tendon will pull and cause pain, and yes, tool dropping. I just spent 2 friggen HOURS grinding burrs off the ends of 10 36" wide panels I cut from 2, 10' sheets. I can't even hold the angle grinder anymore today. I'm done.
Therein lies my point... the biting thumb has improved (less frequent) with some attention. I believe it is possible to knock these things back a notch because over the last few years progress has been made in other spots. With extreme tons of working on it. When I was little for example, busted my scalp open playing near unfinished concrete basement wall. Mom tied the hairs around it together rather than go for stitches. Lifelong cowlick. Chin one is affecting gums now. Etc. Can't just do nothing and keep on. Typing sure ain't gonna fix nothing. I am just glad I realized how to turn the tide and help myself when I did. :)

Um, um thread steering, forgot...

Today I filled up the GTP too, so she feels all loved again now. Construction means a meandering detour of downtown to get at the only gas station I can use for that car. 3K on that trans now and I guarantee theres a hunnert foot of Douglas GT on a street up by work from my ride home. Found myself in another trans breaker scenario, crowded by a towing speeder in a Dodge. Had to cram it and pray on cold fluids again but it lived since the road was dry. Nice tire whiffs but the pucker factor ruins it. People breathin down my dadgum neck, man. Wow.

Lol, I better shut up and watch another Kit Carson, stat! Kerp getting s when I type a so I'm done too.

Better luck tomorrow, Mitch.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Tore the 2.5 from the T4. The clutch looks good I am going to run it with the T5

Measured the frame some more. Watched a few videos on cutting s10 frames then did some more measuring.
I am going to take (26 to)27" out which will drop my wheelbase down to 81" as well as removing that rusted section.

See this tape measure? It is not measuring for a bed.

·
16,296 Posts
Trail fit the railing again after welding it all up. It still fits! WHOO HOOOO! I am going to drill the holes in it for mounting, trail fit it one more time then get it to the powder coater.

Yesterday I went somewhere across down and I wrote down the vintage cars I saw because I always forget them. It just blows me away how many vintage cars there are in the Boise Idaho area. I passed just 10 miles or so from my house on a work day, at 4 oclock a 50ish Dodge sedan, a 50ish Chevy sedan, a stock Model A Woodie and a 65 Corvette roadster. These were all driving on the street. In parking lots were a 71 Riv, a 40 Chevy coupe and MANY others in driveways and stuff.

Ok, out to the garage for 65 more hours grinding the last super detailed welds I need to make pretty on the stair case.

Funny story on the stair case. I told the wife I was going to my "customers" house to trial fit it. I called my son and told him "This is Georges Railing company calling" and when I went over and the grand daughters called me grandpa I said "No, I'm sorry, I look like your grandpa but my name is George." I was filthy and didn't want to hug them getting them dirty so I left without my standard hug. The next time I went back my 7 year old grand daughter mentioned that, "Grandpa always hugs us" and called me George. She introduced me as George to the neighbor kids and their heads spun, it was pretty funny. I went back later cleaned up and gave them my hugs and they were still calling me George and I had to correct them. It was funny as hell, we all had a lot of fun with it.

I am going to use my chisel letter set to put "Georges Railing Inc." on the railing so it will stay there forever.

Brian

·
2,225 Posts
I worked at Centerline today. They took in a '70 Chevelle "SS". Looks like a clone to me but the owner says it is a top shelf restoration. Uh, huh, that's why the lower control arm bushings and ball joints are pounded out of stock, dirty arms ??? Anyway, as I'm pulling the springs, I notice they are new but have been cut on the top. Mind you they are top is supposed to be flat to sit on the underside of the frame rail and I assumed they had been cut on the wrong end. I set them aside and didn't pay much attention until it was time to install them again. That's when I realized the bottom of the spring was flat...hmmm...guess the cutter put them back in upside down, as the arm is formed for the spring end to clock in a pocket, to prevent them from rotating, or slipping out of place. They fit much better now... ;)

·
True Hotrodder
1,156 Posts
It's amazing how many people install those springs upside down!

I worked on cleaning out my makeshift paint booth today. Have some decent air days coming up and have a couple of projects to put in primer, maybe a little bit more if I can get lucky and energized.

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
16,296 Posts
Yep, got the railing done, one last trial fit today before I bring it to the powder coaters. Can't believe that I have made two of these, the other one is cut up in pieces in my metal pile.

So on the cool cars on the street in my city, today, drove about 4 miles and saw a 58 Chevy pickup (stock) and a Delorean on the road with me!

Brian

Attachments

·
2,225 Posts
Can't believe that I have made two of these, the other one is cut up in pieces in my metal pile.
Brian
Seriously ???!!! I know you were pissed, but why didn't you advertise it in your local paper and sell it for the cost of material, at least ? Someone may have had an use for it.

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Looks great.
I wouldn't say that, but...Thanks. Needs pretty-up work and final crimp. The inverted welding position was a bust. It had to be shaped during and by welding, requiring constant swinging access inside the door. Corner patches on the other side may make more sense to the observer now.;)

33921 - 33940 of 34026 Posts