Hot Rod Forum banner

34001 - 34020 of 34260 Posts

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,281 Posts
Right on! On the hole size, I actually use a 5/16"! It lets me roll around the hole with more control.

Brian
Hole size, for me, depends on what I am welding, ie, external panel or structural. The spot welds on GM rockers and inner structure, for example, are 3/8, so I drill larger holes for those areas. The larger diameter provides more strength from more area joined by weld.
The reason I suggested 1/4" for your cowl, is it was basically for appearance, not structural. Smaller holes on appearance panels have less chance of warping, from a smaller, shorter time hot, weld process. It, also, hides better under trim, sealer, etc. without needing much, if any, dressing after.

Yesterday was somewhat of a bust. I'll load the pics and explain later.

·
True Hotrodder
1,249 Posts
Not really work although hiking up and down the length of the track between rounds might count? Finally got to have a little fun. My son and I took the Camaro up to SumerDuck Dragway yesterday afternoon. Weather was great although a bit nippy after the sun went down. Car was consistent although as the humidity moved up we lost a few numbers, but that is consistent with what our combination has always done. We made it to 3rd round, had the opponent on the tree, caught him at mid-track and then my son thought he was getting close to breaking out so started pedaling it a bit and ended up giving it back .0006 - that's a painful loss. Had a good time spending some racing time with my kid again - it's been a long year.

·
2,281 Posts
Wow, Chas, I have no memory of having fun for the past year. A couple short get-aways is about it. NEXT year will be different...yeah right, I'll bury myself in new projects next summer too...:cautious:

After Saturday's success with getting the gas plumbing done and the furnace running on natural, I was pumped to get at the insulation blowing. Those 2 steps have been tripping me up for a couple weeks now. I ran off to rent the blower at 7:45 and was home and set up by 8:45. I had done an estimate of how much of this loose fill I needed for the entire ceiling, which I "THOUGHT" was 40 bales, and I had bought half of that for the front section, which was 20 bales. Turns out the 40 bales should have been the front half and probably more. I didn't get even HALF of the area covered...😟

After I returned the machine, we started looking at where to get more and how much. This particular Owens Corning product has been replaced with a "greener" replacement and so is discontinued. We bought all but a few bales from the local Menard's and needed to branch out further. This is how we spent the afternoon, driving 90 miles R/T to buy everything that particular store had in stock.

79 bales and we HOPE this is enough. If not, there is still small quantities at closer stores to fill in. This little fork lift has run MANY hours this summer with this building modification and upgrade. NO WAY, we would have pulled off what we have done without it.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Wow, Chas, I have no memory of having fun for the past year. A couple short get-aways is about it. NEXT year will be different...yeah right, I'll bury myself in new projects next summer too...
What are getaways? I could not say for sure that the earth is larger than about 40 miles across. Are women still soft and warm? Do they still make beer and steak? Is there really such thing as a day that isn't exactly the same? What are doctor? Who are kids? Is it still legal to live and have blue eyes here? How do people pay to die? All I see is grindstone.

FRONTEND23.JPG

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Ha! You guys know how me is about grumping ^^^ that way. Its the pictures you tolerate me for anyhow.

Mitch I hate that is like that but like I like to say (Like how I like crammed so many likes in like that? Proof of good humor.) it is you who will be basking in the comforts you are working like a dawg to put in place. Just stay in one piece until that starts.

Chas, yessir that loss is a stout pill to swallow but I bet he don't forget it. If I recall, learning how to not blow it at the other end was part of your objective and that part went solid. But damn. Six bazillionths of a second? Pshhh.

Sky is fairly clear today, 81 and sunny. The Grocery Transportation (GT for short) happily fulfilled it's duty and I cast a washul eye at the 69GP as I unloaded. Hmm. I feel good, less like the words and more like the picture above.

Jari, Jim... it took some fussing but I finally found the two alike-enough front view truck images to overlay headlights and end up with the new rendering. Boy howdy did boss and F1 man eat that up! I wanted to do a rear view first because so many ideas but I had all the info to do a bang-up grille swap, color change and all the things. So I did. And nailed it on the first stab, all features shown are correct. That part has been toughest for me. Five minutes in person = five weeks texting and surfing and losing sleep.

Straight out of the gate when I matched headlight sizes I was stumped for awhile. The internet says the 56 grille in a 51 is just a bolt in swap, need to run a different ground wire and the 56 has deeper dimples in the panel behind. Uh, naw... 56 headlight bezels are one piece with the grille and about a headlight farther apart. At first I modified fenders but then just cut the grille vertically between slot and light and moved the ends in. Which looks fine, with grille also slightly lower than stock due to the nose hole shape of the truck's front. When I kept the 56 width, that looked like poo.:poop:

Grille and hood got ordered and mercy sakes, the Model A wheels were ordered last week, and maybe in the next month the Catalina wil reappear with some swanky threads. As far as work life goes, this was second choice of future occupation when I was a kid with nose buried in HRM at the breakfast table. Right behind race car driver.:cool:

Thats about all the good I can spill on ya. Being an IDJ and all.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My bride and I cruised the 57 to church this morning. Good start to a beautiful day. I got more stuff down off of the storage platform in dad's garage. Lots of misc 57 parts that had been collected over the years. Some stuff I know exactly what it is, other things I have a good idea, but need to do a little research to make sure. Most will end up on ebay, methinks. All of my Monte Carlo parts are down now, and it all needs to make its way to my garage. Then, lots of cutting grass. Yay.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
2,281 Posts
Are women still soft and warm?

View attachment 523976
Yes, and wet...:p
Cool rendering...(y)
Don't mean to sidetrack the thought train, but where would the signals/parking lights go on this ?
I've heard they still make beer, no personal experience. Steaks are like bacon. They have degraded in quality while the price only goes up. Not many steaks cross the plate here either. I'd rather have an Angus burger..;)
We, actually, eat a fair amount of Salmon and chicken, although the price for them has gone up with this covid crap too. Groceries are getting crazy high. $100 to fill ONE bag with just daily needs ???
Oh well, too much of that stress crap to think about. I worked on my neglected yard and trees/shrubs today and my wonderful wife made a, from scratch, apple pie with Zestar apples. MAN, I can't wait for evening desert the next few nights...😋

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Mitch I'd be in a world of trouble standing on the mound with you at bat. Thats a homer, with the smiley and all. Nice. Mmm, I remember slippery ones.

Dave it looks like the woods is on fire. Kinda sounds like time is taking the edge off your recent loss. As John says, I don't envy that but hey... a 57 is pretty neat for Sunday driving with wife. Good stuff. Now whats this about Monte Carlo? I have nothing, drawing a blank on cozworth's MC. Dish it.

Time to 455 now! Life is good, weather is great and mood is thankful.

One observation I can share is that while the cattle chute at entrance and directional aisle arrows have been removed from the grocery store, masks are in full force and that...

makes the world a little less ugly. See there? Good stuff has to be hunted, bad stuff hollers at you from across the street. ;)

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Yes, and wet...:p
Cool rendering...(y)
Don't mean to sidetrack the thought train, but where would the signals/parking lights go on this ?

We, actually, eat a fair amount of Salmon and chicken

Oh well, too much of that stress crap to think about.

my wonderful wife made

MAN, I can't wait for evening desert the next few nights...😋
Much obliged and good question. I have the same question but meticulously worded my sentence there because theres no mirrors. I hit him up about those but not signals. That valance slot is like a shopping mall nowadays. Lots of spots to consider for lamps and I have the guy stabilized for the moment. I bet I could put half a dozen choices together in five minutes.

Izzat what they call it now, dessert? :p

Sorry folks, the last smiley TMP used there is the one for a raspberry, I think. Don't know that for sure but the one I just used above, by deductive reasoning, can only represent straight oral sex. In this time of masks and distancing, I find that one troubling. No, not really. Wet ones. Ha.

The other stuff I left in was :) stuff. Salmon. Chicken. :p

Oh I see the context now. Drool. Got it. Boy I talked myself into a corner there, didn't I? Um...

Haven't been to Angus yet but did throw a super Sonic cheeser down my neck awhile ago thanks to F1 dude. Mustard. Tots and root beer. Thats my segway to this weekend's parting shot. If I didn't throw it in already. Its from Thursday. Just some metal head fodder.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Matt, the MC is an '84 SS, bone stock at this point. It's been parked in the garage under a cover for about 15 years due to at least one blown head gasket. Mom and Dad bought it new in 84. I am planning on a 327 going in to replace the anemic 305, hopefully soon. Dad gave it to me several years ago before he passed, but we never took care of the paperwork. It's a little more complicated now. Pics eventually...

·
True Hotrodder
1,249 Posts
Well, we finally got into some decent weather around here but I better hurry up and get some stuff done or it'll be freezing before we know it. I sorta put off doing much of anything over last handful of weeks due to the stifling heat and humidity, it's just takes too much out of me anymore. And just keeping the grass cut and trimmed up along with the normal BS that breaks around here was about all I wanted to do.

Anyway, I've been in the mode of fixing a few issues with the cars and re-working the Monza a bit more to suit me. I just pulled the frontend off today, I need to check one issue with the right front caliper as it's dragging the disc for some crazy reason, I want to move the trans cooler to a different location so I don't have to mess with it anymore and I have a body mount that's been out of whack ever since my granddaughter (bless her heart) backed my golf cart into the front of the car. I'm also going to re-work the hood scoop to lower and shorten it plus I need to repair a bunch of Dzus fasteners for the hood. Last or at least in there somewhere is knocking the blue paint off. It's Petty Blue and I'm done there.

·
2,281 Posts
Matt, the MC is an '84 SS, bone stock at this point. It's been parked in the garage under a cover for about 15 years due to at least one blown head gasket. Mom and Dad bought it new in 84. I am planning on a 327 going in to replace the anemic 305, hopefully soon. Dad gave it to me several years ago before he passed, but we never took care of the paperwork. It's a little more complicated now. Pics eventually...

If your parents will passes everything to your Mother, she should be able to sign the title over without a lot of legal mess and cost.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If your parents will passes everything to your Mother, she should be able to sign the title over without a lot of legal mess and cost.
That's not the problem, really. Our DMV's are still pretty much closed down, nothing can be done in person without an appointment, and only at certain offices, and only a single transaction. Most of the local DMV's are booked up until some time in spring. Right now it would take a total of two transactions to get the title since we need another copy of dad's death certificate. Not in a big hurry since the car is not drive-able right now. Wading through the DMV paperwork is great fun, though. I think mom is going to get copies of the cert through different channels anyway.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Played around today doing alot of getting stuff. My argon tank disapeared during the move back in November. I bought a new full argon tank for $350 from a local supplier.

I took a flap disk the frame and started measuring it coming to a realization.

The original plan was to use the old factory weld point and slide the back half into the front half. But there is this jog and as it turns out where I want to cut the rear is starting to curve upward. Really can't change those things and they prevent me from just sliding the pieces together.

Had lunch came back and decided I am going to use lasers. Dug through my fabrication drawer and found 2 of these.

Of course the batteries were dead and replacements cost $7. The things with batteries are $7 so off I went to harbor freight and bought 2 more and now that I have 4 of these I can have cross hairs on each side. Realizing as I type this I need to move these right next to each other so they are shooting as straight as possible just having one horizonal and one vertical. Placing them on the side of the frame is going to make things off when the frame shortens.Once they are all on top and shooting straight it should allow me to keep the frame perfectly level as I butt the two pieces together.

I need to drill some holes in the frame tomorrow then I am going to bolt these down and tighten the screw so there is no movement. Inflate the tires all around to the same psi and clean up. Only at that point I will mark where the lasers hit the A arms and then it is time to cut the frame.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
By the time you make the cut, there will be enough dirt to dig a moat around it so you can level it old school. ;)

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
I have never laid claim to being a person who cuts frames but I am going to do some of that today.

You guys tied my thanks record on a leftover pic. Thanks! Now let's see how this freshy does...

Rear cab mount brackets for the '51 F-1 5.0

Sides are 1/8" thick, the rest is 3/16 and the 1 1/8" step on my bit is goner from the last set. Used a burr to get past that one and finished with 1 1/4" instead. Thats truck spec vs car spec. ;)

Stock arrangement was not unlike a leaf spring shackle.

Below, a quick tracing from last night where the only thing shown is the proposed fabbed roll pan with fender widths below the bed matched to tub width. Smacks of the Model A but less fancy-

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
Awesome stuff!

Brian(y)

Reactions: idrivejunk
34001 - 34020 of 34260 Posts