Hot Rod Forum banner

34141 - 34160 of 34222 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Gosh, it only lasted 95 years? ;) I've seen junk installed in the 70's and 80's that looked as bad. That old galvanized threaded pipe was good stuff.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,273 Posts
Lookit all them thar welds... somebody was busy today.

I was busy putting up ceiling panels and I'm now ready for the next phase of insulation installation...hows that for a tongue twister ??
OMG, I just read that Eddie VH died today !! What a shock, that man changed guitar playing.
Damn, Eddie, rest in peace now...🥺

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Gosh, it only lasted 95 years? ;) I've seen junk installed in the 70's and 80's that looked as bad. That old galvanized threaded pipe was good stuff.
No sarcasm here ..LOL yes , it lasted a long time but , the plastic I put in 40+ years ago looks pretty much the same as installed , no oxidation & virtually no build up ( a little lime/ rust stain)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have to admit it wasn't all that relaxing at first. I'm always anxious about taking a new build far from home. Especially so when it's beyond the tow limits of my AAA coverage, and out of cell phone areas too! But after the first couple tanks of gas, and miles, I began to relax and enjoy things.
Only complaint was the fuel cell is too small and caused me to stop more often, and plan my fill ups around distances between towns. I ordered a 15 gal. fuel cell, and after modifying it to fit my build and getting the car on the road, I discovered at the first fill up it was only 12 gallons! I was very irritated, and knew it would create the issues it does. I may end up pulling it and forking out the cash for a larger tank, if I can find one that's deeper, but the same width and length. I'd like at least 15 gallons, but it needs to be no larger than 20"x18". Depth can be deeper than the 8.75" I have now, and I'd like to go about 11" to put me around 16 gallons.
Many sheet metal shops can bend up an aluminum tank & weld it up , a friend who's since passed , used to make them up after hours , for boats , hot rods , go karts , etc. , charged me $110 for a full baffled 12 gal tank 20 years ago ..ask around ..

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,033 Posts
Man that old pipe was a mess for sure.. Good thing getting that stuff out it looked to be a health hazard as badly rusted thru in the side...:cool:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Man that old pipe was a mess for sure.. Good thing getting that stuff out it looked to be a health hazard as badly rusted thru in the side...:cool:
I just noticed your tag line , " I will endeavor to persevere " , reminded me of the grateful dead. " I will get by" , thanks , now that will be in my head for awhile !

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Lookit all them thar welds... somebody was busy today.

I was busy putting up ceiling panels and I'm now ready for the next phase of insulation installation...hows that for a tongue twister ??
OMG, I just read that Eddie VH died today !! What a shock, that man changed guitar playing.
Damn, Eddie, rest in peace now...🥺
It has been a nonstop bop. I think I put that on the lift about 3PM, to weld pan to rockers. Yesterday was just those and the rearmost row. Each weld was fussed over. Little grinding has been done. Took about a week to weld the floor in. It was three times as liked before epoxy and welding, uh-oh.:oops:

For whatever reason, I have to hear this album to enter fall mindset. Takes me back to third pedal days.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Almost forgot the injury report!

Call me knothead, I did the inevitable obligatory bonking of dome on lift arm yesterday. Not bad. No ice, didn't want to stop. So today I have lopsided noggin syndrome.:rolleyes:

Newest dude made a cover / filler panel for the LS Skybird / T/A or whatever other day. Looked like mighty neat bead roller work, looks like he has a great deal more experience with that. Which is fantastic. I tried again to get him to stop messing up everyone's parking. Says "I just swing wide when I pull in and thats where I end up." I say if you could just use the next available space nearest the fence, we can all fit on the pavement. Ignored. Not one single person seems to grasp that logic, I am puzzled. Looks more like a pile-up than a parking lot.

They are saying its gonna hit 85°F here today. I guess it would be a good day to get some real gas in the 69 (only sold up by work), been a month or two since she had anything unspiked. Maybe will if the windows are dry when I walk out.

Speaking of injuries and hitting things, man some inexplicable stuff happens up by work... a 60 YO woman stepped out of a car in a turn lane yesterday evening and was instantly double killed by a car and truck. Go figure. Benton county is exceptionally bloodthirsty.

On the way home during the excruciating crawl of no passing zone of ten miles or more yesterday, the whole way I am wondering why all I can see is Mr Pushypush's lifted Ram grille in the rearview... in a 45 zone with the train of cars ahead maxing at 38 mph. Got to a stoplight and saw why. Two more lifted Rams stacked behind him also on 38s hanging halfway out. They were having a tailgating contest. Good to know theres ten tons bearing down on ya. Reassures me that death will be swift if a dog or deer runs across the road. What is it with the coal rollers? Every Ford or Dodge I see, seems like they are towing more than they ought to and only operate with throttle to the floor. How are such expensive things so commonplace? Why does the height of the seat make the rest of the world an obstacle?

While I'm hissy fitting online here, might as well say that downtown detour for the last month is shaking the GTP apart. Forced to drive on a bunch of tiny brick streets among the cappucino sippers. Gaining about a new rattle a week. The new route was so blissful until they completely tore out the one eighth of a mile thats theres no good way around. Theres only one little way left to get to the gas station I use. Bottom line:

If drama / crisis does not already exist, one will be created for you.o_O:poop:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
Damn. CURSE has what I believe to be piston slap. It is a 5.3 after all and quite a normal condition according to GM. Maybe a lifter? Only when engine is not at full operating temp, but I can't take any chances at the track.
Looks like TURBO is getting the nod for Friday.

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Damn. CURSE has what I believe to be piston slap. It is a 5.3 after all and quite a normal condition according to GM. Maybe a lifter? Only when engine is not at full operating temp, but I can't take any chances at the track.
Looks like TURBO is getting the nod for Friday.
Well, Turbo yeah! But Curse uh-oh. Maybe?

Is there a way to know what the knock is besides teardown? Wait... this might be one of them deals where its better if I don't ask.:censored:

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Better pix:

I have one spot to patch inside, on the left end of the front flange of the rear pan brace. I left it for now because having it open will give me a chance to blow chips out of the enclosed area better. Those things are corrosion poison if left trapped.

And hey, looky here! I get to hack this up mercilessly in real life!

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
Well, Turbo yeah! But Curse uh-oh. Maybe?

Is there a way to know what the knock is besides teardown? Wait... this might be one of them deals where its better if I don't ask.:censored:

No, it's more like keep driving it until it breaks...ha....

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
2,273 Posts
Dang it anyway, Pugs. How old is the motor, can't tell by the code, unless 17 is 2017 and that would be a short life.
5.3 piston slap, yep, both of mine have had it. The 2011 with 61k had it when I bought it. It goes away fairly quickly and doesn't seem to bother once warmed up. It has pulled my Chevelle all over, including to the state of Virginia and back, thru the mountains, without any issue, so yours should be able to make a couple hard runs... ;)

·
2,273 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
No, it's more like keep driving it until it breaks...ha....
Real knee slapper there! What a slap in the face after just slapping it all together. I bet you could slap yourself. Right about when you was ready to slap some paint on there.

Seriously, are you sure you didn't drop a slapper inside it?

OK, wordplay about played out. :D

For really real... there IS the blaze of glory factor if you scatter it at the strip. Just sayin. Ignore the above balderdash. Slap me.:LOL:

I think you have the right idea, as does TMP. Drive, drive, drive. If one day you think something is gonna break, pick your spot, hammer it and find out now.:oops:

34141 - 34160 of 34222 Posts