Hot Rod Forum banner

34161 - 34180 of 34221 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Can you guys guess where I got the inspiration for this idrawjunk?

Letting brushed epoxy firm up under the cab. Fixed a bent running board, hogged out body mount holes where needed and checked with tram gauge. Ready to drop but see the yellow tape?

Going for a 3"-ish deep slot there, that a mesh will attach to from behind. An initial study of the need evolved thusly and then I put numbers and words to occupy your time-

So... #5? That part is going to take a beating on the road, I wish the bottom of the slot could be a seperate piece. But then if you gotta repaint for chips, I reckon you're painting the whole valance anyway.

Theres around 9 feet of shoreline around that opening and while a corner weld is simple, I'd feel better using brake and or roller then jaws, to have control of the accuracy. Where I bridged the cutout on the right earlier can be just to get a good pattern. Can you tell I suspect that this could be tricky? Getting a perfect slot.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,113 Posts
I latched the top on Precious for the first time today. It was not easy to latch with the new rubber in it. I am going to leave it latched and let the rubber compress for a few days. Top, Pads, curtain, and well liner are ordered.

While waiting, I may get to start making patterns for door panels. 👍

John

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
Right on John!

Brian

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Hopefully I haven't run Pugsy off with my slap happy post and he is launching at full boost as I type.

The old car is just loving life. Somehow, still. Rowdy today, even. Good gas in belly, light tire aroma ah. About talked myself into tearing into carb swap with no provisions. Still smells like gas, in the box.;)

Got the truck crossways so's I can have a clear shot to back up and eyeball the front. Did some inner fender trimming and what-not. Got fenders hung on firewall brackets but not nicely yet.

Doors work like a bank vault with cab down snug on mounts. I tacked the dash cutout back in also since the work behind it is done-ish and the remnant was flappin in the breeze. No decisions yet made on dash.

See what I mean about this dirty slot?

20201009_130307.jpg

The bottom lip will have to be built like a bridge just to hold still. I may need to work on the owner a little there, as somewhere along the way I concocted an alternate treatment there which would not only solve all that but also allow a little wisp of a bumper in the form of what looks like a molding but serves as a spreader / small impact bar. I will undoubtedly need to do more art to explain and present the options. :)

·
True Hotrodder
1,247 Posts
Spent the last 4 days cleaning, repairing and staining a deck. It's a pair of 16x16's with a side entrance deck to the screened porch and a landing deck out the back of it down to the main decks. Two years ago, I built all of it. She called somebody else in the spring to have it powerwashed and stained but the guy f'kd up the deck so bad we had to let it sit until now and let nature care for it. It looks good now but it was a lot of work this week, Thursday night I could hardly move I hurt so bad.
Anyway yesterday afternoon, back to the Monza a bit. I've had an issue with the Aerospace front disc on the right front corner for a bit, it would drag - a lot, if you spun the tire you might get 1/2 rotation. I found that the adapter plate to the spindle had a slight tweak in it but there's nothing I could do about that part of it. But the kit did come with extra thin washers for fitting the caliper. I re-did that and while it's still got a little drag, I can now get the tire to rotate several times before stops. I fixed a couple of other little things, then moved on to the starter. I have 2/0 welding cable feeding the main panel in the passenger floor, but then I used a #2 cable to go from the solenoid to the firewall bung and a #2 on the other side to the starter lug. Overall, less than 2 feet of #2 cable. The cables are good but I'm going to make new ones with 2/0 cable just to make sure. Probably a waste of time but I want to eliminate any potential issue regarding the starter. It starts the car okay and it's better than it was, but it still makes a lousy racket when cranking and I'm not happy about it. I'm looking at options now but haven't made up mind yet. I have also decided to move forward with a primer system on the car. The commercial versions are pricey but I'm putting one together that will do the job and I may offer it as a kit in the near future. Running methanol in cooler weather can be a real bear getting the engine started, even race gas can be a problem sometimes but a little hit of 93 or 94 octane stuff will get them cranked right up.
The last thing I did last night was to paint the sheet metal divider to the fuel cell. The Monza being a coupe has that large rear window area and the shiny aluminum back there can sometimes throw a lot of reflection to the front dashboard - I noticed it last season a lot. So it's now a nice satin black color. It has to be removal-able but a few sheet metal screws takes care of that issue.
On the trans cooler, I did find one 90* fitting so I have another one on it's way - I said I wouldn't buy anything but it's bugging me too much but at least it's just one fitting. And I am looking for a small digital tach that I can mount on the front hoop. I'm thinking that could be very useful in staging the car.

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Carb swap done, on Grape. Need to swap over the primary rods, jets, and spring from the old. Box stock config lean stumbles in cruise mode. Same, same. Half hour swap. I had never seen it do 16" mercury and been a long time since the needle was so steady. She speaks clearly, with more authority. Happy Grape, happy IDJ. I just tried every known to me method of putting up a 2MB 5 second sweet idle vid. Many of the subtle unhealthy brow wrinkling sounds a 20 year same car ear can pick up on which have slowly developed have gone away and the choppy gluggy idle is back to crispity blippity blippity blip.

Mmm. Ahh. Half hour of hobbyist and another to go swapping jets. Good grin ride and better one to come. Boy howdy, I'm wrench roddin now! :D

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,272 Posts
Good for you, Matt. Glad to see the carb helped both Grape's and your attitude... :p

We worked on the shop more today. still making slow progress. We, also, took time out to tend to the 8 shrubs I planted a year ago. We have been short on rain for a few weeks now, so watered and fertilized them to help them get thru the winter coming down the pike.
I'll get some pics of the shop progress tomorrow. I ordered 6 sheets of blue paneling for one corner, to see how we liked it, but it's too dark to do the whole shop in. There will be pallet racking in that corner, so no big deal with the color there.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Mitch, yep the leaves are turning. Yee haw eh. Still don't have the grouch thing balanced out, do I? I do like blue and yep that was theraputic. Less than usual thrill with the stumble for now. Had F1 man stoked up this evening and guess what color combo he wanted... reddish orange with champagne accents. Fired a ten minute color change to him before evening turned to night. Mid day I got him thinking truck, mid afternoon sent him 2 pages of sketches and words about the valance. We will arrive at something in time but for now that panel is safe to take off the truck and stuff. Pardon the obligatory TMI but... yeah orange and champipple. ;) Beats olive or tan!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I pretty much finished up with my air lines in the shop today, at least for this stage, anyway. Im sure ill be modifying it eventually once i get using it more. Fired up the little compressor and went for broke. Came up to pressure and shut down. The only hissing came from the drain on the bottom of the tank that I leave cracked for drainage. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
2,272 Posts
Some pics of the shop project. I got another 9' section of ceiling in last week and my son helped me blow in the insulation. The blue panels at the back of the first pic are a test of color for the walls and my wife helped me put them up yesterday. They look nice, but are too dark. The building has no windows, except for the 2 in the overhead door I had installed, so this color would really make it a man "cave". The ridge panel leaning on the wall will be the color of the rest of the walls, next year. After we got that corner of the shop done, I moved the tire machines there so I can get to work on building a knee wall to block off the upper storage area.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Played with the s10 for a few hours.

Cut the drivers side plates, fit them to the frame, then welded them. I need to weld a front and rear plate to this side and smooth things down then this side will be done. I started to fitting the other side which is the hard side.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Lots going on today still managed to play around for a hour notching the drivers side.

Lots of cut, check, notch, check, notch, check going on. Not alot to show. But it is one of those things that just takes time.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
Dang it anyway, Pugs. How old is the motor, can't tell by the code, unless 17 is 2017 and that would be a short life.
5.3 piston slap, yep, both of mine have had it. The 2011 with 61k had it when I bought it. It goes away fairly quickly and doesn't seem to bother once warmed up. It has pulled my Chevelle all over, including to the state of Virginia and back, thru the mountains, without any issue, so yours should be able to make a couple hard runs... ;)

Damn, no thread notifications lately.

Yeah, that would be about 2017. I was thinking it was only a couple of years.
New motor ordered. I saw a WEG motor on Amazon, and since I have had good luck with this brand in the past, I thought I'd try a new made in somwhere else model. o_O
I know, I know, spend 1500 bucks and get a good one. The whole compressor was 1700 though, so spending large for the motor just don't sit right.

·
2,272 Posts
$1,500 for a motor ?? No way.
I keep getting a banner asking me to allow the forum to use "push" notifications which means they can send you all kinds of crap you don't want, besides the new posts. I keep checking the NO box, but still get post notifications.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
Hopefully I haven't run Pugsy off with my slap happy post and he is launching at full boost as I type.

Nope, can't run me off. Damn notifications were not working again.

I've been taking trim off a CURSE and buffing them up. No dent removal. Playing with the new marker lights and parking lights, bowtie for grill......I am getting material for fender and quarter patches punched out with the proper shaped slots for the lights to weld in the oversized holes. Losing the big rear maker lights as well.

Track uneventful. Couldn't break into the 12's.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
I keep getting a banner asking me to allow the forum to use "push" notifications which means they can send you all kinds of crap you don't want, besides the new posts. I keep checking the NO box, but still get post notifications.
I believe they are to tell you every time another new post is submitted, no?
Anyhow, I didn't hit Never, I hit not now and I have no issues.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
1500 would be for a nice quality Baldor or such.

·
2,272 Posts
More, SLOW, progress on the shop. Got the knee wall studs in, insulation and the top girt. Then put the last 4 vent chutes so I can put up the last row of ceiling panels.

Got enough ceiling panels up to start installing the tube heater. Got the burner and first tube up and level.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
Right on Mitch. Check that level you're installing the tubes at. I believe they are supposed to slope.

34161 - 34180 of 34221 Posts