Hot Rod Forum banner

34181 - 34200 of 34265 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,797 Posts
I paid $1,000 for my Ingersol Rand 5hp, 2 stage, 175 psi compressor new 18 years ago and that thing has thousands of hours on it and still works like new.
Yep, 18 years ago is good. Everything today is absolute junk.
I have the "modern" version of the exact same compressor that you have.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,283 Posts
Yep, 18 years ago is good. Everything today is absolute junk.
I have the "modern" version of the exact same compressor that you have.
Well that sucks. Is your wire feed heavy enough for the draw ? Seems way premature for the motor to burn out in 3 years.
Any local electric motor rebuilders who could replace the winding and get you back up and running ?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,797 Posts
Yep, Total junk. New motor arrived today.
30 amps, 10 ga. wires.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,117 Posts
Tore down a '74 Quadrajet today and soaked in cleaner. Hopefully tomorrow will see me get it back together at the kitchen table. Barb and I will be alone tomorrow so that remains to be seen.

The carb was given to me and it appears to be in super shape and is correct for my engine....Pretty cool.

John

·
Registered
582 Posts
The Z has had a problem with the air being directed to the floor and defrost only. I finally got a chance to take a look at it today. Looks like a mouse chewed through a vacuum line in two places, one of which was the connector right at the firewall. Stupid mice... While it was on the lift I took a look around underneath. Oil and coolant leak. Looks like the water pump is leaking from the weep hole, and it looks like the water pump coupling is the likely culprit of the oil leak. Yay! More LT1 fun!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Water pump COUPLING ?? What is that ? Some "special" feature of an LT1 ?
Yep. It's special alright. Small piece of pipe with internal splines. The water pump is driven off of the cam, so the coupling passes through the timing cover. I've been told that they are an absolute PAIN to get in place, and they always seem to seep oil.

·
2,283 Posts
Yep. It's special alright. Small piece of pipe with internal splines. The water pump is driven off of the cam, so the coupling passes through the timing cover. I've been told that they are an absolute PAIN to get in place, and they always seem to seep oil.

Wow, never knew Chev made such a contraption, but I've never had anything to do with an LT1 either. All I ever heard about was the problematic ignition system. Very strange engine. I can see why it wasn't around for long.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow, never knew Chev made such a contraption, but I've never had anything to do with an LT1 either. All I ever heard about was the problematic ignition system. Very strange engine. I can see why it wasn't around for long.
I got it apart last night. It's not terrible to remove, but every time I thought I was ready to pull the pump, I found 'one more thing' that had to be removed. My attitude got much worse when I found that the power steering pump is bad. AGAIN. This replacement will make its 4th pump, counting OEM. The coupling doesn't actually pass through the cover, but the spline drive does. I'm not looking forward to trying to get that seal in place as it is very delicate. If you don't get it EXACTLY right, it will leak like a sieve. The only way to get that seal is in the timing cover gasket set. Not available by itself. At this point I'm seeing the OPTI covered in oil and road grime from the leaking seal and I'm very gun-shy about it. Everything I've seen and read tells me that the OPTI is VERY susceptible to moisture, and to be VERY protective doing anything coolant or water related under the hood. If water & moisture can get in, I'm sure the oil will, too. Since the OPTI hides behind/under the water pump and balancer, now would be the time to do something with it. Oh, and the water pump weep hole is directly over the OPTI. There was evidence of a leak there, which is why I'm doing this right now. Great job there, GM engineers. Great job. With my luck, the OPTI will last about 1 month after the water pump install... Replacement OPTI prices range from $82 (Speedmaster) - $600 (MSD) on Summit with no mention of a warranty. Local prices range from about $150-175 with a lifetime warranty. None have great reviews. This car was running fine, but I know that the OPTI was getting dripped on from the pump weep hole, plus the oil leak. I'm torn here. Any advice from LT1 pros would be greatly appreciated.

·
2,283 Posts
Dang, sounds like you're falling down a black hole there. Hopefully you will come out the other side intact and maybe consider selling the vehicle ? I have never been drawn to those year cars and now will certainly avoid anything to do with an LT1 powered vehicle.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dang, sounds like you're falling down a black hole there. Hopefully you will come out the other side intact and maybe consider selling the vehicle ? I have never been drawn to those year cars and now will certainly avoid anything to do with an LT1 powered vehicle.
Yep, it's going up for sale as soon as this round of repairs is complete. I'm gonna lose my backside on this car, but nothing new there.

Funny thing... I was taking a couple of classes on youtube university this morning and saw a promotional video from Buick on the "new" OPTI system. Their claim is that it was a very simple, robust system that would not need attention for 100K miles or more. Simple? Maybe. Robust? That doesn't seem to be the case. I know, that like anything else, I'm seeing all of the 'problem children' out there. The problems get sung about the loudest, and the 1000's of others who just drive them year after year go on driving silently. Nothing new there, either. It is hard to ignore the ones who take all of the proper precautions and get multiple bad units right out of the box, though. Oh well. Time to spin some wrenches and get greasy.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,797 Posts
Day one of the metal shaping meet. Only eight of us total and maybe five tomorrow.
This is good with the damn virus buzzing around here picking up steam.
Hurting tonite. Tomorrow will be worse. :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
DD the eldest and I worked on the Z today. Man, pulling that hub to get to the seal was a real chore. I'd like to take a wrench to the engineer who decided that the old system of a keyed hub wasn't good enough for the LT1. I get that it doesn't need to be timed any more, but come on, man! That press fit was ridiculous. Anyway, power steering pump, water pump, OPTI, and balancer hub are removed. DD was cleaning up the greasy mess on the front of the engine, wiring, etc. A good bit of the oily mess is power steering fluid from the bad pump. That had a lifetime warranty, so I took it off and took it with me when I went to pick up the water pump. For some reason they could not order the replacement. Nobody there could explain it, so I stood there in the store, used my phone and ordered it on their app. What they're going to do when I take the old pump back for a "core", they'll refund my purchase price. She said that they've been having some interesting problems with their computers. Tomorrow should bring replaced seals and possibly some reassembly. I hope. Depends on how much the seals fight me, and if I can get the balancer installation tool.

·
2,283 Posts
The Quadrajet got finished this morning. I used a Cliff's performance kit and was very pleased with it. It came with a new float, complete accelerator pump, as well as the usual rebuild parts. He advertises, all parts are made in the US and ethanol safe.

John

View attachment 524544
I hope you held a straight edge across the top cover. The front bolt holes look like someone really cranked them down in the past and those covers bend easily.

Also, who is this Cliff dude ? I need to rebuild the Q-jet on my roll back BADLY. The accelerator pump is shot and the hesitation and bog drives me nuts, especially when attempting to get out on a highway with traffic coming...:eek:

34181 - 34200 of 34265 Posts