·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Smooth as glass. Almost can't see it.

Reactions: John long

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
It looks so clean, the only thing that makes the window visible is the reflection of light on the rights side. It seems like everything is going well with this build.
Yes. I am excited. I was not sure how well I could do with this top. So far I am pleasantly surprised.

Of course, I’m not done yet either.

John

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,048 Posts
Hey Pugsy, I haven't left permanent like.....Yet... Just having "one of those Black cloud months. Everything from another pain in the A?? with the city over permits to add heat to my shop. Add that to electronic dooms day and it is a wonder I can still think.

Then Public utilities came by to change out the house power meter. It wasn't showing my true amount of energy I was using. The guy just yanks out my meter with no warning! The replacing of the meter threw a big surge or spike which played hell with my electronics.

My computer system has had a periodic backup that kept all my data safe in case of a Network storage server major failure. Well turns out the back up was not backing up and I hadn't given much effort to make sure the backup was running.

The surge that wiped me out was created when the public utilities guy changed my electric meter, That took out my backup power supply and thus took out the Network attached Storage when everything went down and back up. The NAS is a separate box server that control the drive away and shorted the back plane for the drives. I have been forced to send the unit and drives to a data retrieval company and after being accommodating, extorted a significant amount of money from me they were able to salvage all my data from one of the striped sets of drives. Now I am trying to get everything on a master backup before restoring the data back to a New Network Attached Storage array.. Oh and we had a storm blow in last night and left me without power till about 2 hours ago... Hey I am still here but I am beginning to wonder just where is here? I hate these "Black Cloud Months"

There is nothing to say about the coupe except I did the major work on my flipped firewall, built front floors and toe boards, Sat back and got nauseous. the whole thing did not flow and was impossible to seal along the sides of the firewall. I spent a few hours staring at what will fix it and decided to start all over from scratch again. I will make a flat firewall set back 4 inches from the front of the cowl. I had my local steel company make me a 4 inch X 1 inch angle iron (so to speak) out of 18 ga and make it 75" long. I am going to roll this into the rough opening in the cowl and I will use my shrink-er to bend the 1 inch flange to the shape of the cowl opening. I will make a flat panel for the firewall and it will be attached to the 1" flange. For lack of a better explanation just think of taking a big round barrel sticking into the cowl 4 inches and cutting off the excess. Right now the T has slid back on the priority list to take care of these domestic issues that have popped up and it's only getting colder.. I am keeping up with 5 minutes a day each week though with all the interruptions it is getting hard... Sorry no pictures as I seem to be electronically challenged this month..:cool:

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,320 Posts
Damn, RIP, have you had a "talk" with the utility company about their guy causing all this mayhem ? I sure would.
What kind of heat are you contemplating ? I REALLY like the infrared tube heat. I had it in my previous shop and now the new shop too. The new heater is very quiet. I question if my other heater was installed correctly, as it always made a lot of expansion and rattling noise from day one. My wife and I installed the new one.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Hey Pugsy, I haven't left permanent like.....Yet... Just having "one of those Black cloud months. Everything from another pain in the A?? with the city over permits to add heat to my shop. Add that to electronic dooms day and it is a wonder I can still think.

Then Public utilities came by to change out the house power meter. It wasn't showing my true amount of energy I was using. The guy just yanks out my meter with no warning! The replacing of the meter threw a big surge or spike which played hell with my electronics.

My computer system has had a periodic backup that kept all my data safe in case of a Network storage server major failure. Well turns out the back up was not backing up and I hadn't given much effort to make sure the backup was running.

The surge that wiped me out was created when the public utilities guy changed my electric meter, That took out my backup power supply and thus took out the Network attached Storage when everything went down and back up. The NAS is a separate box server that control the drive away and shorted the back plane for the drives. I have been forced to send the unit and drives to a data retrieval company and after being accommodating, extorted a significant amount of money from me they were able to salvage all my data from one of the striped sets of drives. Now I am trying to get everything on a master backup before restoring the data back to a New Network Attached Storage array.. Oh and we had a storm blow in last night and left me without power till about 2 hours ago... Hey I am still here but I am beginning to wonder just where is here? I hate these "Black Cloud Months"

There is nothing to say about the coupe except I did the major work on my flipped firewall, built front floors and toe boards, Sat back and got nauseous. the whole thing did not flow and was impossible to seal along the sides of the firewall. I spent a few hours staring at what will fix it and decided to start all over from scratch again. I will make a flat firewall set back 4 inches from the front of the cowl. I had my local steel company make me a 4 inch X 1 inch angle iron (so to speak) out of 18 ga and make it 75" long. I am going to roll this into the rough opening in the cowl and I will use my shrink-er to bend the 1 inch flange to the shape of the cowl opening. I will make a flat panel for the firewall and it will be attached to the 1" flange. For lack of a better explanation just think of taking a big round barrel sticking into the cowl 4 inches and cutting off the excess. Right now the T has slid back on the priority list to take care of these domestic issues that have popped up and it's only getting colder.. I am keeping up with 5 minutes a day each week though with all the interruptions it is getting hard... Sorry no pictures as I seem to be electronically challenged this month..:cool:

Permit? For garage heat?
Just find "a guy" to run the gas line and done.

For a guy who is electronically challenged, you sure sound like you know about stuff.
You used words I've never heard before.

Forget the cloud.....you don't have one. You've got a hiccup....think back to the stuff you were posting a couple of years ago.
Homeless, storage, bought a property on a swamp and couldn't build....well, actually a 6' diameter puddle deemed to be wetlands, ha.....A power surge and permit are cake now for you.

Reactions: John long

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
I have to tell one on myself.....

I woke up at 2:00am this morning thinking "I did not see a zipper pull on the rear window. I'll bet they forgot to install the zipper pull and I will have to remove part of the window to install it AFTER I find one."

I laid there stewing about it for 45 minutes and finally got up and went to the garage in my shorts to check on it.......It was there.

Went upstairs and back to sleep. Life is good.

John(y)

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,320 Posts
I guarantee, it will not be perfect. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

I will be excited if it is very good. 🙏🏻

John
I have to tell one on myself.....

I woke up at 2:00am this morning thinking "I did not see a zipper pull on the rear window. I'll bet they forgot to install the zipper pull and I will have to remove part of the window to install it AFTER I find one."

I laid there stewing about it for 45 minutes and finally got up and went to the garage in my shorts to check on it.......It was there.

Went upstairs and back to sleep. Life is good.

John(y)
You're "very good" is most people's perfect...:)

Dontcha' HATE when that laying awake thing happens ?? I ran a repair shop out of my home garage evenings in the 70's and I was learning mechanics from a Motors manual and hands on training. There were times when I had a problem I couldn't figure out and would wake up midnight to 3 am with a new idea and had to go out in the garage to see if it worked, or I would forget in the morning, similar to a dream.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I fired up my top loading burner made out of junk I had laying around. I burned off some paint with the doors open. I need to spend cash on a gasket and fire it a couple more time before I can call it done. It is more about staying out of the wind and stray ambers then heating. Easy to fill, easy to clean, and when I am sick of it easy to scrap.

While that was going I replaced the thermostat in the 01.

My disc brake kit containing new rotors and pads arrived 2 days before expected. But that is still a weekend job.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,048 Posts
Here are some answers to the latest dilemma's . The utility had hung a notice on my walk in gate saying on the next day they were going to do this at 9:00 am. I never saw the notice but found it after the fact. The worker was supposed to knock on the door and tell me it was happening then. The worker says he knocked and there was no answer. I was setting less than 10 feet from the door and never heard my doorbell or a knock, but the utility stands behind him. I had been warned via the card on my gate that they are not responsible for any electric appliance in my house from loss of power and for any surges when power is restored. ( I should take the appropriate action buy turning off appliances and shut down sensitive electronics. When You read the terms of use they literally tell you you have no rights... of course I never remembered them rules when I signed up but they insist I did.

Oh the permit thing will get you into a catch 22. I had planned on a Reznor Ldap 60K BTU propane furnace. There is no natural gas so everything is propane. I had a couple of companies give me a bid on the furnace, Flue, and gas piping from the tank to the furnace that alone is a budget buster at 5 grand. Now here is where it gets sticky The propane companies here will not deliver a propane tank and connect it to the furnace without seeing a Heating permit. Oh this gets better. The city won't let me ad heat to my shop because it is not insulated! It has to meet some stupid energy requirements and they won't waive the insulation requirements. Now the furnace guy will install a furnace sans permit and that is ok but the gas suppliers won't deliver or fill a propane tank here without a permit and gas permit tag.... This tiny little city likes to put you right in the middle of frustration. They have so many stupid rules.... I thought about buying two 125 gallon tanks and take the tanks to be filled and rotate them but then I have to drag them out and load up and unload and due to my limited mobility the best I can do is swap 5 gallon tanks and that wouldn't be fun trying to heat with 5 gallon tanks. So the big takeaway from this is it is gonna be a chilly winter with my propane torpedo heater but at least I have it. It gets cold and wet here on the coast I am not going to give up on this heater thing easily. I have a good friend that knows some low people in high places and there is still a trick or two I can try but it just doesn't look like this winter it will happen. I have been overspending my budget and it looks like costs are going to be a big factor this winter so I will cut loose till I am ready for part 2... Ya know when ya follow the rules you wind up getting screwed.

Electronics and computers were my previous vocations. I was an Avionics Engineer for 22 years then moved into IT technology and spent the last 6 years of my employment before retiring early as the IT Coordinator for my companies Pacific Northwest Support center.. One thing I learned about computers was if you didn't stay right on the cutting edge of computer technology you were quickly obsolete and outpaced. When I retired early in 2003 I was up on the latest stuff and by the time 5 more years moved on I had forgot more than I could remember and so far out of the game I had to call my grandson to help me do some real simple things.. Although servers storage arrays routers and such are pretty generic but to be able to do all I used to do fluently in this day and time I feel like I am drowning at times..

And speaking of my Black cloud that has been following me for the last two years just lurking around the corner. I am hoping to loose this cloud in 2021. I figure everything I can think of has gone sideways over the last 2 years I should be due some good luck..... Least that is my take.:cool:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Well, unfortunately, experience tells me the city is correct this time.
I had my furnace running when building my house. It was a month or two before the end of the year when things changed here and insulation and drywall were required to turn on the heat. Just got in under the wire.
What happened was the heat inside caused frost and condensation on the insides of the walls which ended up growing black mold. it was everywhere on the second floor walls.
I spent over $500.00 on mold killer spray and had a fella cleaning it all off for over two days.

Who woulda thunk?

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
I ran into the same thing RIP. My uninsulated garage sweated so badly in the winter, you would think it was raining inside it.

Insulation may need to be in your future budget.

John

34341 - 34360 of 34400 Posts