Hot Rod Forum banner

34361 - 34380 of 34400 Posts

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,320 Posts
My new shed was built during a cold spell last fall and then we had a warm up in December, after i had all the cars inside. Same thing, with the sweat rain. I asked the Wick rep and he said they could have put an insulation layer between the girts and tin, but I never asked for it...DOH !! Maybe he should have mentioned such a thing to prevent the rain ??
The existing building we just finished insulating is 25x36 with another 9 ft of unfinished back room. I have about 3k in insulation and the ceiling is r52 or better ( 18-24"). It holds heat very well.
I hear the frustration RIP. You planned to work out there and be warm. I had to wait last winter too. It will be worth getting yours insulated for next year. Even your portable propane heater will warm it then, if you have to wait for a ceiling unit. We were using my 50,000 portable before we had the overhead unit working and it warmed that space up in 30 minutes.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Just make sure to keep a CO alarm while using portable propane please.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,048 Posts
Yeah the insulation and drywall is gonna set me back in costs. That is not to mention the difficulty in accessing the walls and ceiling with my shop now full of stuff.. Ah the webs of difficulty we weave for ourselves.. This is what I get for trying to play by the rules. So for the time being I am stuck with the torpedo heater. At least without a ceiling I have plenty of ventilation and with all the rooftop vents I was required to install when building, there is good ventilation. I guess when I work in the shop this winter I will just have to be more active and work a little harder to keep warm. Hey Pugsy good idea about the CO alarm I think I will go today and get one and get it installed asap. :cool:

·
True Hotrodder
1,328 Posts
Finally got the wife to do something for the racecar - it's only been about 40+ years!

We have diapers on everything except the Camaro and we just don't have any space on that car for one. Anyway, on the Monza, the backside of the diaper had been chewed into a 1/2 moon shape by the flexplate. Looking at it, I figured out that if I could bring up the backside maybe 3", then it might not get chewed up as badly. So the wife picked up a yard of canvas material and after I cut out the piece I wanted and showed her where it needed to be stitched, she took care of it. I haven't put it back on yet, but the top of the replacement piece should end up just under the crank flange. I can of course adjust the straps to let it hang down a little bit if needed. So, tomorrow through next Tuesday is supposed to be a decent bunch of weather days and I will install the diaper plus a new set of safety harness belts. Then move over to the JDM and get that thing into some epoxy primer plus I have a set of new door locks for the truck (modded them myself) and it needs an oil change, trans fluid change and some steering wheel alignment work. Sounds like fun!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Fairly busy morning so far... I got the tube put in one of the back tires on the dixie chopper, and got the oil changed in the Solara that we just picked up. Off to my next adventure winterizing the water system in my friends camper since he's on deployment. His wife has no idea how to do it. I'll have to figure out the system on that camper since it's bigger than mine. Should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
2,320 Posts
Fairly busy morning so far... I got the tube put in one of the back tires on the dixie chopper, and got the oil changed in the Solara that we just picked up. Off to my next adventure winterizing the water system in my friends camper since he's on deployment. His wife has no idea how to do it. I'll have to figure out the system on that camper since it's bigger than mine. Should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
You tube, that would show you how to winterize nearly every make, model and year of camper...crazy what is in there.
I spent another 2 hours "winterizing" the yard. I worked at Centerline till noon yesterday and then came home and made a run to the recycle center with trash and recyclables from the shop remodel. I, also, dragged out the hose reel I had drained and put away a couple weeks ago, when the temps were in the teens overnight. The 2 white pines we planted this summer looked dry again, since it hasn't rained for a while, so I am soaking them good yesterday and today and then draining and storing the hose cart, again.
Yesterday was a gorgeous day and I took today off to do the rest "thinking" it was supposed to be as nice today. Clouds, 39° and a 10 mph wind aren't near as pleasant to work outside in, but it needs to get done. I hauled most of the porch furniture and the fire pit to the back shed for inside storage and picked up the left over wood for it and threw it back in the little shed. Turned on the hose again for the trees. Put Sea Foam in the lawn tractor while I was pulling the snowmobile trailer around for the furniture, so all that is left to do with that is clean the deck off and pull the battery.
Gonna take the camera out to the shop and take a bunch of pics of stuff I'd like to sell and list it somewhere, CL, 37-39 Chev page, etc. If it gets into the 40's, as predicted, I have a job on the honey do list to put the Christmas lights up.
Shoulda stayed home yesterday and worked on this all day, when it was 60 degrees !!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I spent most of the day yesterday and today,,cutting up trees that the power company cut down off the power lines so the rest of the county would have power,,they normally grind up the limbs ,but they were so far behind from the storm they left them,,so i got out there and cut up the trunk in firewood and hauled the limbs down in the woods on my property,,i have a limb grinder but it takes to long,,,this is the last load for today,,hauled 10 loads,,im about half done with these 2 trees,Yep that is Annie (my Wiffie ) helping me,,tried out my new Craftsman saw it works great <But it is not like a Stihil,,but much cheaper, Stihil on stand by for the heavy stuff,

Attachments

·
2,320 Posts
I brought home the first section of pallet racking on Friday and my wife helped me get it set up. I threw the pallets that were stacked on the floor up there for more floor space. I will be bringing sheet metal panels home from the locker and getting it on the pallets.

Saturday, I moved the Harley to it's winter home. I can't find the cord protector I use to wheel the trolley over the zipper for the bubble, so it will wait a while for that. We reversed the 2 shelving units from the first pic, so I could stack the upper cabinet and not have it under the heater tube. It doesn't get very hot at that end, but this is just a little insurance.

I'm trying to get wall space to, eventually, move the Camaro in and work on it. I moved a small tool box and the welder and plasma cutter over by the door. Today, I emptied a cabinet I had in the basement since we moved here. It was FULL of paint supplies that couldn't freeze last winter, with the shop being unheated. I moved the cabinet and all the supplies out to the shop and started organizing "stuff". Organizing, there's a foreign word for me... :ROFLMAO:

I had moved this tire rack from the other wall when we were putting up the last of the ceiling panels, with NO intention of using it, as it isn't really secure the full length. Yeah right, summer tires from the HHR and TSX got thrown up there, instead of hauling them up to the loft. Guess I better find a way to anchor it better, so it doesn't fall down.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Alright! Working on the car time is coming.
I had to expand one of you pics because I thought I saw a bale of straw??

·
2,320 Posts
Alright! Working on the car time is coming.
I had to expand one of you pics because I thought I saw a bale of straw??
Yeah, I bought 2 bales of hay to cover perennial flower plants my wife put in this summer to help protect them the first winter. I only needed half of one. Guess I'll be giving the rest away, or put them at the back of the property for the deer later this winter. Don't want to encourage them to be in the yard, eating all the stuff we planted this summer.
Yep, I went nuts last winter sitting here for 6 months, unable to advance the Camaro restoration. I still need to replace the right q-panel, skin the left and replace the tail panel and rear brace. Be a few less parts sitting around too. I have a 1 piece cabin floor and trunk floor along with full quarters and various smaller parts for the '70 in the storage locker.
Got a LONG way to go to empty that place out...

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,325 Posts
Your hot rod stuff is looking good guys, nice to see someone getting something done. Me, still nothing but my mechaNICK changed the water pump in my hot rod Caravan that blew on Friday so that was nice.

Brian

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Is that your garage? I don't see any pick up stuff going on in there.
What's up with the project these days?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I brought home the first section of pallet racking on Friday and my wife helped me get it set up. I threw the pallets that were stacked on the floor up there for more floor space. I will be bringing sheet metal panels home from the locker and getting it on the pallets.
View attachment 525494

Saturday, I moved the Harley to it's winter home. I can't find the cord protector I use to wheel the trolley over the zipper for the bubble, so it will wait a while for that. We reversed the 2 shelving units from the first pic, so I could stack the upper cabinet and not have it under the heater tube. It doesn't get very hot at that end, but this is just a little insurance.

View attachment 525495

I'm trying to get wall space to, eventually, move the Camaro in and work on it. I moved a small tool box and the welder and plasma cutter over by the door. Today, I emptied a cabinet I had in the basement since we moved here. It was FULL of paint supplies that couldn't freeze last winter, with the shop being unheated. I moved the cabinet and all the supplies out to the shop and started organizing "stuff". Organizing, there's a foreign word for me... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 525496

I had moved this tire rack from the other wall when we were putting up the last of the ceiling panels, with NO intention of using it, as it isn't really secure the full length. Yeah right, summer tires from the HHR and TSX got thrown up there, instead of hauling them up to the loft. Guess I better find a way to anchor it better, so it doesn't fall down.

View attachment 525502
The racks really make a diference in floor soace ,i finally got 2 set of mine up still need 1 more set,,my tire rack is home made but it keeps from taking space from the pallet racks,,i have to get my forklift repaired,so i can use the top sheves,it runs great but it will only idle,,i replaced the throttle cable ,but didnt change anything,,i guess i will have to break down and call Yale their labor rate is $125 per Hr,,so i trying everything else first.
IMG_0906.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
They will be when they grow up..lol..actually they are on the other end of thr building to the left the pallett rack.the tire changer is made for short people. and yes i did hit my head,,while putting an engine on the engine stand my socket bursted i fell forward and hit the corner of the stand, i think there is a message in this picture,

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Man, have you bin nogginized a bunch of times.

Reactions: Dave57210
34361 - 34380 of 34400 Posts