Hot Rod Forum banner

34401 - 34420 of 34575 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,053 Posts
Some good luck. Rocker panels are rust free.

Anyone ever seen these with a skim coat of lead from the factory? I cleaned a blob off the spot which is a different color, then stepped back and noticed the whole thing is coated.

These two holes directly beneath the lead had me nervous:

The spot in the middle that I polished off the lead:

Reactions: MARTINSR

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,382 Posts
Looks like the holes were made to push out a dent and then filled to level. The rockers were lightly galvanized, but I've never seen, or heard, of them having lead coating.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,053 Posts
Looks like the holes were made to push out a dent and then filled to level. The rockers were lightly galvanized, but I've never seen, or heard, of them having lead coating.
Perhaps it's galvanized coating on there. I will epoxy right over it then.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The beginnings of a workbench is in place. I'll need to go get my radial arm saw before I can do the back section. I want to be able to have it inset to be flush with the work surface. We went out and got our Christmas tree today as well. Might as well, at least it will be getting water inside.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
2,382 Posts
Kicked back watching the turkey hot tub in action. I should have checked my propane reserves before this morning. All three bottles are pretty low... I'd sure hate for my bird to get cold, cuz it's nekkid in there.

How did the turkey turn out ? Hope you didn't run out of propane.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,053 Posts
"Gold Rust"...........9 hours, 20 minutes including cutting out at the seller's place.
Man, I was in heaven. All kinds of old fords including a couple of deuce roadsters.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
Wow, 38-40 Ford, there is one of those bodies that is bad enough to cut it up?

Brian

·
Registered
655 Posts
Spent a few minutes poking around out in dad's shop. Since I have a dual plane intake on the way to swap in place of the Weiand X-celerator on the 57 now, I figured I would go ahead and get some comparison measurements between the T5 and the Muncie. Mainly looking at the shifter locations, hoping I will have enough clearance for the bench seat. They're actually a lot closer than I thought they would be. I'll have to get a couple of pics and measurements in the car as well. View attachment 525618 View attachment 525619
20201128_182658.jpg

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hmmm... Not sure what's going on here. Only one of my pics is showing up in one post. I tried to post 3 pics in the first post, and one in the 2nd. Probably an issue with tapatalk.

·
2,382 Posts
Yep. This feller had a veritable scrap yard in his backyard.

View attachment 525616
You're getting as goofy as me, with traveling for parts... ;)
How do I un-see the '58 Impala ?? GOOD thing it's WAAAY up there in Canada.
That's the car I was initially after when I bought the '62 instead. The '58 prices were, and still, are crazy.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,053 Posts
You're getting as goofy as me, with traveling for parts... ;)
How do I un-see the '58 Impala ?? GOOD thing it's WAAAY up there in Canada.
That's the car I was initially after when I bought the '62 instead. The '58 prices were, and still, are crazy.
As Brian mentioned about cutting out a rear window, probably not gonna happen too often, I jumped on it quick.
Amazing as it only took me two days to find it after I started looking. Opposite of "Pugsy Luck".
He wouldn't ship, no way, no how. My daughter loved the cruise yesterday, so well worth it.

I'll get the custom molasses tank made up this week and start soaking.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,053 Posts
After a lot or reading about molasses to remove rust, I'm going to try Evaporust. Many people mentioned the really bad smell from the molasses and the Evaporust is non-toxic with no odor. Granted much more expensive, but re-usable.
Evapo-Rust® Is The Super Safe Rust Remover - Stop Rust Today!
I can't smell a thing, so I'm covered.

Just checked. To fill my custom soak tank with EvapO Rust would cost 220.00 including sales tax.
Molasses, about 5 bucks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Im missing something ,,what does the molases do,

goy a few tires and wheels moved to the racks..still like 5 more sets plus a set of 6 for a dually,,they migh go on the floor under the rack,,im to old and broken for this.
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2556.JPG
IMG_2556.JPG
IMG_2538.JPG

34401 - 34420 of 34575 Posts