Hot Rod Forum banner

34521 - 34540 of 34598 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Bought an organizer a auction this summer for like $1. Bought a box of spraypaint also for $1 at a diffrent one.

View attachment 527275

I buy sockets (sometimes with toolboxes) at auctions for next to nothing. But having several sets all in one drawer is proving to be a pain no matter how I do it.

So I spent a few hours(mostly waiting paint to dry) playing with this. It will allow me to just grab and throw sockets in the bins having several of the same size without finding five 11mm's when I am looking for one 10mm.

View attachment 527276

Paint needs to dry completely then I will hang it up with some heavy supports before filling it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Interesting that looks like you use the wrench size instead of the bolt size,,or you have some really big bolts, that might be eaiser and quicker,,

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Interesting that looks like you use the wrench size instead of the bolt size,,or you have some really big bolts, that might be eaiser and quicker,,
This thing is for sockets. My current setup is not working.

I can put 4 or more of one size in a bin. I have more sockets then I have room for most in old toolboxes and several incomplete kits which has lead to dwarers and buckets of unorganized sockets. I generally throw what I need for a project into a bread loaf tray then when the project is done throw it all back. Using this bin setup I can pull and throw all all the sockets back into bins keeping it organized a bit better then having dwarers or several incomplete kits.

Hardware I tend to buy new taking the old into the store to match threads often upgrading grade etc and keep spares labled in the bags or boxes.
I do have buckets of used speciality fastners like starter or acessory bolts somewhat organized in 5 gallon buckets. I just pour it out then throw it all back in once I find what I am after.
Screws, nails, and non automotive nuts/bolts I keep in the house. Nuts and bolts that can be used on cars I have a multilayer shelf in the barn for.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This thing is for sockets. My current setup is not working.
View attachment 527291

I can put 4 or more of one size in a bin. I have more sockets then I have room for most in old toolboxes and several incomplete kits which has lead to dwarers and buckets of unorganized sockets. I generally throw what I need for a project into a bread loaf tray then when the project is done throw it all back. Using this bin setup I can pull and throw all all the sockets back into bins keeping it organized a bit better then having dwarers or several incomplete kits.

Hardware I tend to buy new taking the old into the store to match threads often upgrading grade etc and keep spares labled in the bags or boxes.
I do have buckets of used speciality fastners like starter or acessory bolts somewhat organized in 5 gallon buckets. I just pour it out then throw it all back in once I find what I am after.
Screws, nails, and non automotive nuts/bolts I keep in the house. Nuts and bolts that can be used on cars I have a multilayer shelf in the barn for.

LOL,,i guess we all have that dreaded 5 gallon bucket,,i hate to have to get anything,seems to always be on the botton,,i am thinking about taking the head bolts out there are so many,,i always replace them with ARP studs and the main also on performance engines,, probably just need to to Home depot and get another Big Orange, ,,yea i save starter bolts also all 3 lengyhs fir a chevy,

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 4 bbl.
58 Posts
I removed the power brake booster from the T bird today. Crawling under the dash to unbolt it was fun... :rolleyes: At least I managed to do it without taking the dash apart. The booster is being sent off for a rebuild since it leaks internally and applies the brakes as soon as you start the engine. We are making progress to having a solid driver. :cool:

·
Registered
661 Posts
One of the radiator fans is going out on DD 2nd's Impy. It's an 01, and the only thing available is the complete assembly. The 04 parts car has a different assembly, but individual parts are available for it. The mounting points appear to be the same, so I pulled the assy from the parts car. I'll get started on the swap tomorrow I think.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Semper Gumby
377 Posts
Got a "new" generator today
Around here, in my neighborhood,the first power failures tend to happen nearby and the last ones to be fixed. (population density means the city gets fixed first, and most city lines are underground.) Here, where it is all acreage properties, power lines are on poles and and any big windstorm (or occassional snowstorm) brings trees down, and power lines down

So, since my old standby gen was pooched, I cast about for a replacement

This morning I picked up an unusual one

While the actual gen head is fairly common (a Stamford 10 Kw unit) it is powered by a Deutz 2 cylinder aircooled diesel (German world war 11 design, still in production, not common in N America)

Got it at a bargoon price because the mechanism to shut it down was screwed, and you had to loosen the injector lines to cut off the fuel to make it stop.

My son tore into it, found the busted part, re welded it and now everything works like it should

So - took it to wand wash and cleaned it all up. Gave it an oil change, serviced the oil bath aircleaner, and flushed the fuel system. Good to go now

Now to wire it into the house system.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,075 Posts
Hey Dave57210
When I moved here to the coast I brought along my Generac 6K generator. After I was here a while I realized the few power fails here were fixed post haste as I am in the city limits and most of our stuff was underground. I decided to sell my Generator. I sold it and less than a month later we lost power for 5 hours during a storm. I have decided I am going to look into a all home generator and have it wired in so I don't have to try and start that thing by hand outside. I will have inside controls and an automatic gentran switch. BTW I am kinda familiar with the Deutz 2 cylinder aircooled diesel. It is a Kool, reliable, low fuel consumption, and it wasn't picky about the diesel or kerosene or all grades of home heating oil. ya poured into it and it was reliable!! Ya got a good one there..:cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
In my time I have worked on many a Deutz engine as they were popular in construction machinery including a 12 cylinder that came out of a German tank and was in a road planer.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,393 Posts
I had a tandem axle dump truck in the mid 80's. Another guy I worked with had a Ford truck with a Deutz engine. Damnedest thing to see coming at you, as it resembled an airplane. All you saw was a huge fan, spinning like a prop, thru the grille.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Bought another project.

79 f150 short bed. One of those deals where the asking price was very reasonable.

300, t18, 205, d44, 9". Body and floors are gone. But the bones and drivetrain look to be good.

Guy said the engine is a reman with 20k and he threw a better clutch in it. Thing sat for 2 years and now would not start. Maybe points maybe something even easier. Going to play with it later and find out.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,393 Posts
Got a good start on welding the q-panel on today. Final prepped by scotch bright wheeling the paint off the weld areas and shooting them with copper weld thru. I drilled pilot holes for the drill screws and screwed it on. Got the top seam welded and half of the front. I'm not completely happy with the lower half and rocker fit, so will tune that more next time.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Played around with the 79 F150 for a hour investigating why the previous owner could not get it to start.
This has newer battery cables, newer starter, newer solenoid, newer fuel pump, and newer points.

The coil, cap, and factory wiring look to be old as heck. I tested for voltage at the coil terminals and they are good. But the battery I used was dead dead. I did not give it enough time to get up to full voltage from a completely dead state. I really just wanted to see if I was getting voltage at the coil and get a look at the condition of things. The old style starter only was able to turn the motor over two times before the solenoid clicked.

I am going to let that battery charge for a day then will crank this thing over checking the coil which I would not be surprised if it was the issue. If the coil is bad I am just going to a entire PerTronix 1 setup that includes the coil and stuff off of amazon to get rid of the points.

At this point I don't even know if the carb is getting fuel. Before I spend tons of cash ordering stuff I don't need I will play around with it for a few more days.
I really don't know what I am doing with this at this point. I basically bought it for the rear axle, transmission, and transfer case. If I can get the motor to run that will help sell it if I part it out. But if it fires up and drives around the yard good then I might change my mind and drop a couple grand to turn it into a driver that will still make a profit when I sell it for the next toy.

34521 - 34540 of 34598 Posts