Hot Rod Forum banner

34541 - 34560 of 34598 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am trying. I promise. You met Steve, David when you were up here. My car would not be where it is if it weren't for him.. I also drove him to have Cataract surgery today. (y)

John
644139_1408319686063971_517538584_n.jpg

Just raggin you,,i cant say anything i havent touched my truck in quite a whi;e,,i am working on my Z28 changing wiring harness,will probably sell it or trade for a tahoe when i get finished,

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,393 Posts
YOUR Z28 ??? I thought that was Anne's ?? :ROFLMAO:
Drove 630 miles R/T today to get my 2 hoods back from stripping and edp coating. BOTH are a freakin MESS...got screwed again. I gotta stop trusting people and buying their crap for huge money....:mad:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
Drove 630 miles R/T today to get my 2 hoods back from stripping and edp coating. BOTH are a freakin MESS...got screwed again. I gotta stop trusting people and buying their crap for huge money....:mad:
Damn.....body panels from southern states covered with surface rust are the key. Nothing hides that way.
Worth a bit of coin to have them shipped.
Any pics?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No one within 5 hours?
I would be looking to start a business if no one even close could gently remove the old and have edp applied to the new.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
No one within 5 hours?
I would be looking to start a business if no one even close could gently remove the old and have edp applied to the new.
I bet you wouldn't be able to start a stripping company anywhere these days. Probably only let the existing ones continue.
Tree hugger mentality now.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There are over 30 small businesses within 50 miles of me that do blasting and coatings.
Over 10 that do plating within a hour.

Now I understand you may need to drive a hour or two because you can't go over the bridge.
But 4.5 hours?
I would be looking for a new place. Nothing wrong with the 4.5 hour away place. Just having one closer is something I would be looking for once the repairs are made to these parts.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
There are over 30 small businesses within 50 miles of me that do blasting and coatings.
Over 10 that do plating within a hour.

Now I understand you may need to drive a hour or two because you can't go over the bridge.
But 4.5 hours?
I would be looking for a new place. Nothing wrong with the 4.5 hour away place. Just having one closer is something I would be looking for once the repairs are made to these parts.
Not me, Mitch.
I have a chemical stripper half hour from me.
I do believe he was talking about chemical stripping?
Blasting doesn't get everywhere and you can't trust them not to warp your panels.

·
2,393 Posts
Not me, Mitch.
I have a chemical stripper half hour from me.
I do believe he was talking about chemical stripping?
Blasting doesn't get everywhere and you can't trust them not to warp your panels.
Exactly, EPA regs have shut down all but the safest stripping now and the cost to start a business, let alone find a city that will allow it is crazy. He has a process like Evapo-rust, that is environmentally friendly. It's like trying to get approval for a drag strip. My god, the people will run your ^$$ right out of the county for suggesting such a thing around here. PC epicenter here, remember George Floyd ?, yep 30 miles away.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ahh, the joys of working on middle aged junk... One of the cooling fans on DD the 2nd's 01 Impy is shot. It spins, but squeals like crazy. No problem, says I. We have an 04 Impy parts car. Simple swap, right? Wrong-O. Wrestled both assemblies out, and compared the two. Upper mounts are different. Simple mod to drill a new hole, no problem. Mid mounts different. No mods can fix that without swapping radiators too. Lower mounts very similar, but just a hair different so that they don't line up. Again, can't fix that without swapping the rad too. 04's rad is bent from the wreck. Not bad, but bad enough that I don't want to swap it over. Motors on the 01 are not replaceable, so can't go that route either. Dang...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
2,393 Posts
Doncha love that crap ??? My son crashed his '06 Malibu 2 years ago in one of the coldest winters we've had in a long time. I bought the '07 Malibu and he came down and swapped. 1 week later the thermostat stuck open on his '07 Malibu, so I told him it was a simple procedure, the thermo housing is right on the back of the engine...20 minute job for a beginner. He looked for 2 hours...no thermo housing on the engine. Same engine in both cars, but Chev decided to move the thermo into the fitting on the block for the lower rad hose...under and behind all sorts of crap. WTF Chevrolet !!! He had to bring the car back down and it took a DAY to get at and change the thermostat !! This, and many other reasons, like thier problematic electric assist steering, is why I'm done buying GM vehicles. They have gotten far too removed from sensible repair methods, in favor of saving a buck on the assembly line. Manufacturers always have but they have lost me now. I've owned WELL over 100 Chevrolet's in my life and have 9 of them titled in my name at this time. My '08 HHR has been a mojor PITA fopr the last 6 months with sensors failing, lights on the dash. electric assist failing while driving. I'm looking at tracking down a clean, low mileage 2016 Honda CR-V to replace it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yep, I think I'm done with them, too. The difference in repairs needed between our '00 Sienna and the '01 Impala is amazing. I've got a stack of paperwork over an inch thick with receipts from all of the things that have been done to the impy, starting at about 6 months out. We will be looking for another car for my bride soon, it will.most likely be either a Camry or an Accord.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
Wow. Taking you guys a long time to catch on.

Hopefully, our 09 Silverado shop truck lasts another 6 years til I retire.
Hate to have to buy a newer model.

Reactions: cozwurth

·
Registered
661 Posts
What do I have here... I got the busted 5th gear pressed the rest of the way off of the mainshaft, and the adjacent gear slipped over some. This thing has fiber synchronizers in it. At least for 1-4. 5th is all brass. The countershaft has tapered roller bearings, too. I thought the tag said it's too old to be a WC. Tag numbers are: 10142026 on the top row, and 1352-195 on the 2nd row, followed by 33402. I'm glad I didn't buy the rebuild kit already...
20210115_150753.jpg
View attachment 613785
20210115_150831.jpg

·
2,393 Posts
Wow. Taking you guys a long time to catch on.

Hopefully, our 09 Silverado shop truck lasts another 6 years til I retire.
Hate to have to buyer a newer model.
Tried to stay loyal to the brand, but they don't seem to be returning the feeling. Toyota lost me over the rusty truck frames several years ago. They had way to short of a list of trucks that qualified and too short of a period to claim it. We have 1 guy at Centerline and that is ALL he does, is rebuild rusted out truck and SUV frames. The majority of them are Toyota. It's so bad, there are companies cutting kit pieces to rebuild the Tacoma from bumper to bumper. Toyota needed to stand behind their inferior steel frames much better than they did, from my point of view. My wife's '07 TSX has been absolutely flawless for 13 years and a 137,000 miles. The car still looks near new. The Honda legacy of quality is drawing me in, even though they have their fair share of rust issues in the salt states too.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
LOL,,the 77 Z28 is hers,,she has had it since 77,and titled and insured in her name,,i guess this could be hers if she wanted it,,she dont like driving a 6 speed ,but she can even drives a 3 on the tree and a Fuller 13. She is a keeper
Piegon Fordge drive by photo ,,,Winners..jpg

34541 - 34560 of 34598 Posts