Hot Rod Forum banner

34661 - 34680 of 34703 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had to start using distilled water since I moved out to the country, my well has a lot of iron in it, here it’s really cheap a grocery store, I think 2 gallons is a $1.
My days project was converting house from elect stove to gas, nothing hard just time consuming.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,088 Posts
Well I survived another Pacific Northwest Storm. We had cold air from Canada (Thanks Pugsy) and rain off the ocean that made for a hell of an Ice storm here on the coast and Snowmageddon for Seattle. Power went off in our town of 6000 and didn't come back till about 2 am this morning. The power outage affected everything including the city sewer system as no power to run their pumps. Our local Cell service was out and Kaput till this morning. Oh and not so smart me sold my generator last summer so it was quite cold! The town had more wire on the ground than still in the air but finally early this morning we got our power back. The south end of town was almost completely devastated from the ice storm and they should get their power back this afternoon. This is not how I envisioned spending a weekend but for only 2 days without power it wasn't all that bad but it was cold as the temps only crawled up to 34 degrees today. I had an inch of solid clear ice on the side of the van and it is melting as I speak. I hope the rest of this winter is warmer. Forecast is for some slowly warming temps till things get back to normal about mid week... :cool:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Glad I could send some of our classic weather your way. Mitch has worse weather than us though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Cooling system on the 57 should be buttoned up. Topped off the coolant this morning, and of course I spilled a little. That got sucked up by the fan and sprayed a mist through the engine bay. Yay. More cleaning.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Played in the garage for a few hours. Tons of measuring before finally welding up the seat brackets.

Still around 60 hours left on the cab. But thought I would see how the transmission would line up and shifter felt now that I could finally sit in the seat.

The location of the transmission is correct. I am going to use a slip yoke and a cv joint(double cardan) with 2 u joints with a engine setback around 8 degrees.

8 degrees will let me use a 31" long transmission and a 34" long engine. Which lets me run a large variety of engines.

Someone will say you can't have what amounts to a 6 "driveshaft" on with a solid axle. But I am not going to be making tons of torque down low and want to keep this thing light. I am starting out with a (dime a dozen) 90hp 2.5. Later on a lighter audi 1.8T (only weighs 300lbs wet) will easily double the hp while still mating up to a T5.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My new 11 inch clutch for the 57 and the distributor for the truck both came in today. Double checked the bolt spacing on the pressure plate and I'm good to go there. The distributor in the truck is fighting me. Double checked to position of the broken one before I pulled it, and dropped the new one in the same way. Or at least I thought I did. No dice, though. Gotta let the battery charge some at this point. I did get the T5 cleaned up and washed out.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Played around in the garage for a few hours. At the point I can start playing with the doors on this.
Now I like sliding doors. Because the cab is located in the rear I have a fun idea on how to slide the doors forward. I won't need the old hinges so they were ground down and the bottom of the cab rough cut.

Now this little corner of the windshield is going to cause a issue.

I am considered grinding the glass. But after looking at it closer, what it would require to make a substantial diffrence would weaken the windshield frame. Plus I like the idea of just calling a glass guy and dropping in a stock windshield. So I will just need to tweak my design a bit.

I need to throw the door up against the cab and see what it will take to get around the corner. But my butt forgot this little catch. So I shot it with some deep creep and called it a day.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I started playing with the doors. Lots of careful cutting and still a good amount to do.

Now I want to keep the glass. But glass breaks so I need to still drop the glass if that happens.
I cut the door keeping the regulatior until I was able to weld a bolt to the crash bar then I cut out the regulatior.

Sometimes the simple things work.

Now the bottom of the door will arch up with the highest point being at the bottom of the crash bar. This will give me around 5" of clearence "at rest" with a 28" tire.

The crash bar is something that needs to stay. So it is being used to hold up the window, will be a "fender" flare mount, and will be used as the track for the rollers to slide upon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well today I had the pleasure of blowing snow for about 4 hours, I am going to feel it tomorrow, but then I got to go install the last 2 pistons in the small block, Now I get to really start to put it back together.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Got the truck finished up tonight. I had a couple of plug wires crossed which caused some pretty loud backfires. Loud enough that my wife hear them in the house. We'll, it's done enough until I decide to pull the intake to seal up the leaky front china wall.

·
Semper Gumby
380 Posts
Got the truck finished up tonight. I had a couple of plug wires crossed which caused some pretty loud backfires. Loud enough that my wife hear them in the house. We'll, it's done enough until I decide to pull the intake to seal up the leaky front china wall.

That's my trick! And then there was the time that I stuffed a new distrbutor into one engine. I was "one over" on the wiring. It started good, ran smooth as silk and put out about a millionth of one horsepower. Couldn't move under its own power at all. :mad:😡

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not much tonight, picked up a new balancer, got it, the oil pump and pan installed. Tomorrow I will get a head or two installed

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,412 Posts
Glad I could send some of our classic weather your way. Mitch has worse weather than us though.
Actually,I have been quite warm in Florida...:p
FINALLY, got logged in with a laptop down here. ALL my login's are saved on the home computer and I had to remember how to log in....:rolleyes:
We picked up the 2016 CR-V on Monday.

34661 - 34680 of 34703 Posts