Hot Rod Forum banner

34681 - 34700 of 34703 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I played around in the garage for a bit cutting up the door some more and making a rough wheel cut. The arch will end up around 3" taller then this to account for suspension travel and larger tires.

The door was thrown against the cab tight enough for me to start measuring for the linkage.

I was concerned about weatherstripping. But once the door was up it became apparent that I could run the weatherstripping in front of the linkage. Hiding the linkage while keeping the cab water tight.

I went up town and bought a bag of hardware that would allow me to build a roller out of washers and steel rod.

But when I started trying to roll the washers along the track I found they were digging and dragging more then rolling. I tried using smaller washers but they still would dig in.

I grabbed a piece of 2'x2' hdpe and cut some 1.20x4" pieces then threw some 1/2" bolts in. They slide easily and will be a cheap consumable to replace when they eventually wear down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I played around in the garage for a bit cutting up the door some more and making a rough wheel cut. The arch will end up around 3" taller then this to account for suspension travel and larger tires.
what are you building with the s10 cab? is there a build link?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Just a fun build out of a s10 I bought for scrap.

Shortened the wheelbase to 81"
Threw the cab above the rear axle
Built(ing) a new floor that is raised
Currently working on making the doors slide forward. Because why not? It is a fun build and I have never done/seen it before.

Photobucket destroyed build threads for me. I don't do them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I see that you say its a fun build, curious are you going to run it around as a rear steer vehicle, sound interesting.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Picked up some angle and went to work planning out the hinges.

Was a bit complicated but it came together rather well.

Played around with possible pull locations for the motor.

Then started playing with how to keep the back side tight to the crash bar while still sliding easily.

What I have now works good. But it pulls back on the hinge when the door will be moving forward. I can improve on it and fix the issue easily. But I had enough fun for today.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
It will pop out.

It should work just like a van door. But won't have a track in the front. How I have it built sliding forward it wont droop. Sliding back it might drop at the very rear after the hinge swings in. But a simple slide will realign it.

I am looking at window motors currently because they lock in position avoiding me having to build a claw latch. This will also hold the door in position keeping the hinge out till the track it gets to the front(door all the way to the rear) before closing.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,376 Posts
What a project there Cerial, wow.

Brian

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Well I fixed the back of the sliding hinge in half a hour. Then started thinking of ways to have a single motor swing open and slide forward the door.

I want to have the door open 1/4 or 1/2 of the way and stay open despite the door travel direction. Only having the thing close when the hinge reaches the end of travel.

Oh and to further add some fun I dont want use a cable or drum I want to use chain and sprockets allowing for a high torque motor and speed/gear ratio adjustment.

So this proved to be tricky. I thought up several setups that would use some kind of stop or lever/cam. I still had a issue with the hinge wanting to close if I changed direction mid travel. 6 hours later of "that might work".

I finally settled on using a 90 degree torsion spring.
The spring will hold the door open and the chain will pull the track forward or backward stopping exactly wherever want it to at all times. Simple and it will work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I got the headlights and grille swapped out on the Solara this morning. My daughter bumped someone just hard enough to break the plastic tabs off. Yay. After that I changed the oil in mom's car, and I got the output shaft for the T5 assembled. Locking up and going in.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
True Hotrodder
1,459 Posts
Over the weekend, the weather momentarily broke and we got a race car on the track. Out of the box the Camaro was nicely consistent - running a string of 6.08's save for a 6.078 that tripped us up in one round - but then it returned to 6.08s. Now just need to get rid of that bothersome red-light!

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Over the weekend, the weather momentarily broke and we got a race car on the track. Out of the box the Camaro was nicely consistent - running a string of 6.08's save for a 6.078 that tripped us up in one round - but then it returned to 6.08s. Now just need to get rid of that bothersome red-light!

View attachment 614701

Very cool.

What's the speed on a time like that?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Made a good amount of progress today on the doors.

Checked the gap several times and placed the door up before figuring out where the hinges would land.

After half a dozen times throwing the door up I have the hinges close enough to where I can figure out the swing.

Only 3 bolts in at this point when there should be 9.

Finally at the point where I can shorten the hinges that swing and extend the brackets back. I am going to start by cutting it it to that line and if possible go one hole more reducing the angle so the thing will slide easier.

The 3 bolt ones will become 6. I still have to drill holes and weld spacers to the cab for the middle and lower ones.

Attachments

34681 - 34700 of 34703 Posts