Hot Rod Forum banner

34721 - 34740 of 34795 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,281 Posts
Hey guys. Just wanted to jump in and say hi. I'm not doing anything in the shop but still checking in on you guys occasionally.

Don't forget to set your clocks forward and take advantage of that extra hour. I am living vecariously through you all for now. 👍

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,258 Posts
Looks great Mike.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Threw a new fuel filter on the 01 cracking the feed line in the process.
No big deal I carry some universal line that is around a foot long in a few diffrent diameters for the 01 fittings.

Just pull out the old line bend some new and run it to my low permutation 250psi fuel hose then snap it into the nylon line.

Just need to get that old line out. The clip must be swelled it happens.
Crushed the line a bit to squeeze the clip easier.

Still stuck. Started removing moved the clip in pieces after this.

Whats holding this in?

I removed all the plastic pieces and went to prying the back of the metal line trying to pop it out.
Played around with it for another hour before pulling the nylon line. Cut the clip leaving the ribbed part(where my fingers are in the above photo) of the nylon and plastic inside.

Crammed a longer section of my 250psi line over the nylon. Threw clamps on. Pressure tested it to 80psi and let it sit for 10 minutes. No loss of pressure.(y)

Threw the line on checked the thing, reved the truck to 5000rpm a couple times shutting off and starting before reving a few more times and then inspecting. No leaks, no chance of anything hitting/rubbing, all good. This fuel filter change took me 5 hours. I had enough fun in the garage for today.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I finished up the assembly of my T5 this evening. This thing is a frankenstein now... Camaro main case and internals, S-10 top cover and tail housing. I also had to get a machined piece to relocate the speedo drive gear to where the opening is in the housing. I installed that stuff yesterday, and made a little mistake. I had the gear centered in the hole when I was pulling the collar apart to lock-tight the bolts I must have moved it a little. The gear is offset some now, but it does seem to have good contact with the driven gear. I'm gonna run it as-is. The guy who machined the parts supplied red lock tight, so that's what I used. I really don't want to pull that apart...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,258 Posts
Don't sweat red locktite. Just warm it up a bit.

Reactions: cozwurth

·
True Hotrodder
1,546 Posts
Went to a TnT on Saturday - what a freakin mess that ended up being! Okay, we're going to start running at 11:00a, get there at 10:30a and stuff going down the track - nuts! Get the car out, run through inspection and no I don't have the chassis certed yet - don't bring it back until you do but okay today. Geez - more money. It's about 46-47 degrees, engine is not a happy camper, takes about 4-5 attempts before it plays nice. Check the tires, 4.75 pounds rear, 40 front. Okay hit the staging lanes. Sit, roll forward, sit, roll forward, sit - okay about 6-8 pair to go, suit up and get in the car. Been 18 months since I drove this thing, where's that damned reverse switch - can't see it. Oh well, I'll just use the brake switch instead. Okay, I like to roll the water and nail it so I hang back but new hire keeps insisting I pull through the water box - keeps waving, I keep shaking my head - I am waiting for the car in front to leave first. Okay, roll the water and strike the tires - not a great burnout but let's see what we got. Put it in reverse, hit the brake switch and keep the car lined up. Okay now drop it in 1st, check all the gauges, look for the Pre-Stage. Got it, other car in Pre-stage, start bumping up and staged. Finger on the brake switch, 1st amber and release, mat the fuel - launch, spins, I come off and on the throttle because of that spin. Head down track, car moving to the left - what the hell this thing always goes straight, cross the 1/8 mark and let go. Not great but all in one piece, get the ticket - horrible RT, [email protected] - that sucks. Start back to pit area, what the hell is that noise, sounds like the valve train - great probably broke something , fantastic. Get back to pit, shut off engine, pull off safety gear. Out of the car, the old hip doesn't like this part. Fire the engine with nothing but fuel running - huh - no noise. Flip on fans, nope, flip on water pump - oh great sounds like a box of rocks! Damn - more money. Check the tires, what - 6.0 pounds - we sat there that long? Wow - check with my son, yep his is up a pound too. Okay, I need to fix my starting line routine - that one didn't work but now I have a cooling issue to deal with. About 3 hours later, we get to go for our last shot. Checked the tires this time before leaving staging lanes. Good at 5.0 pounds, b/o still sucked so need to check the chip - staged good, but for some reason lost my mind and thought I was foot-braking so staring at 3rd bulb instead of top - stupid, stupid, stupid. Car leaves okay, stays straight, shift up to high, feels like I tossed an anchor out - that's weird, what the hell is going on now? Run the car out the 1/4, probably in the 170 range, feels okay. Bring it around the deep turn and pull over. Pull safety gear off, fire it up, drop it in 1st and head back to pits, shift to 2nd and 20 feet, feels like I dropped anchor again. Great, something is going on in the transmission - damn - more money!

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
116 Posts
Well I got done with a big calculus exam about 4 o'clock and headed over to see my grandparents for the first time in 5 days. I only live about 8 minutes away, but these professors just aren't very nice in the homework department this semester.

Anyway, the T bird's rebuilt brake booster arrived this week, so I got the bracket and pedal linkage installed on the booster. I didn't feel like crawling under the dash to bolt the booster on the car tonight, so I put Vice Grip Garage on the big screen in the basement and watched some old episodes with my grandparents. Now my grandma refers to Derek as "the pliers guy." :LOL:

·
Registered
745 Posts
My bride and I went out this morning to do a little furniture shopping. Took the truck and trailer, just in case. We were walking out of the last store we were planning on hitting and I saw a decent sized puddle under the front of the truck. Time for a little investigation. Initial look appears to be the driver side radiator tank. Yay.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Confirmed that it is the radiator. Driver side tank is cracked on all of the front ribs and several of the back ribs. I'd like to go with an all aluminum radiator if I can find one that's not priced like it's solid gold. Are Champion radiators from Radiator Express any good? They have one with the oil cooler for $252.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Since I have to pull the rad anyway, I guess this is as good of a time as any to install my trans cooler. I'll need to get a fitting for the rad, but the cooler itself was a cinch to install. I was able to use 3 of the factory screws on the condenser bracket and I only had to slot one hole on the cooler to catch the bottom screw. Quick work to fab up the small bracket to catch the other end.

On the radiator front, I may go ahead and get one locally. Murray rad from O' carries a lifetime warranty and is 150 bucks. Full aluminum rad at rad express is 250 with a 1 year warranty. Not sure yet...
IMG_20210320_192731810_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210320_192749008.jpg
IMG_20210320_192740518_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Played around with the s10 wheel wells and found a big issue. The bottom of the sliding bracket hits my wheel well with the door closed. I found a fix but it only allowed for 2" of clearence over the 225/75R15 tires.

So screw the last month and couple hundreds in motors, controllers ,sprockets and chains.

I threw up some cardboard and after climbing in and out of the thing I made a plan.

This will give me 6" above the tires at ride height allowing for a good amount of travel and letting me bag the thing later if I want to.

Ran to a junkyard and found some nice doors. I was even able to grab the key for the locks.

After a good amount of measurments I had my doors rough cut.

Scrap

Threw the drivers on to check things.

Wheel well will slide into weatherstripping on the rib of the crash bar making a watertight seal easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
I ordered the rad for the truck from O' since I really need to get this thing going by the weekend. I went to pick it up this evening and the box had been opened up before. Assuming that there was styrofoam in the box before, it was all gone now, and the trans cooler end of the box was oily. Yep, someone had at least partially installed it. Really dark, almost black oil was coming out of the trans cooler. Not goin' in my truck like that... I'll have a replacement tomorrow evening. The rad I pulled out was the original from '98 with a bit over 200k miles on it. The part number sticker has a early '98 date on it.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,258 Posts
34721 - 34740 of 34795 Posts