Hot Rod Forum banner

34741 - 34760 of 34795 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Speaking of trucks... It looks like I finally finished up the radiator swap and trans cooler install this evening. Last piece of the puzzle was a fitting to go from the male inverted flare of the trans line to a 3/8 hose barb for the cooler hose. Why not just slip the hose over the flared end of the trans line you ask? Wouldn't fit without too much stretch for my liking. I couldn't find the exact fitting that I wanted, so I used a union and another male fitting. What's another potential leak source, right? Fired it up to check for leaks and all looks well so far, but the cooling system is not building pressure like it should, but the temperature is staying steady right where it should. It was pushing some air into the overflow, so I'll take it for a short drive to see what happens. I need to pick up some front turn signal bulbs now too. Busted one putting the grille back on. Figures...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quick trip to the FLAPS to get light bulbs has the system pressurized like it should be. Oh, all of my lights work now, too. Now I get to do more gravel in the driveway tomorrow.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,258 Posts
More slinging.............

·
Semper Gumby
385 Posts
I have been having an electrifying time lately.
Due to the local power company (in our case, BC Hydro) having periodic outages due to ice storms, wind storms bring trees down on lines and various other issues, it was necessary to revisit my standby power.

First, I got a SUPER deal on a Multiquip Whisperwatt 10 Kw unit because the engine part was very unhealthy
Took it home, and found that the 3 cyl Isuzu had essentially zero compression on number two. Tore it down to discover that piston rings were structural!
Piston was split into 4 pieces, held together by the rings. Zero damage to the cylinder walls. Not even a scratch
One new piston plus rod, and while I was at it, all new rings and bearings, a set of gaskets and engine was good as new.
Hook it up, run a power test, under load and the Lucas magic smoke escaped from the generator end.

Took the whole works to a gen shop for an assessment. They said I needed a whole new gen head - estimated cost to be approx $4,000.

OK, abandon that project for a bit

Found an industrial 15 Kw unit for cheap. An oldie but a goodie, powered by a Deutz air cooled industrial diesel.

While we had it on the trailer, bringing it home, we stopped at a car wash to give it a bath. And that's where we screwed up.
Got it home, hooked up a load and, well, the wet gen head didn't like it and the Lucas magic smoke got out of this one, too.

So - took it to a different gen shop. Highly recommended in the field.
3 weeks later, they got back to me. Estimate of $4k.

So, I tried once more (I must have some masochistic tendencies?) Called another shop to see about "is it savable"?

This new guy came here, service call.

He pulled the 3 mechanical voltage regulators out, put in a single solid state one, buttoned it up, and ran a load test. Voltage stable at 240, 60Hz (stable), 12.5 Kw (That was as big a load tester as he had with him on the service truck). $250.00 in parts, 4 hours labor.

I have been told that I can fix a SBC in the dark.
I can go on line and get the manuals to rebuild that 3 cyl Isuzu on the first gen and have confidence in my build

But those spinny-around things that make sparky stuff? Nope. Not a clue. I know just enough to know that I gotta hire a pro

Now to get him to have a "boo" at how the smoke got outta the first one, so I can maybe sell it. That's a 'next week" project.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I have had a busy day, doc appointment at 8 am. Then I changed a little rubber o ring type gasket that leaked really bad on daughters car, that was quick and easy. Followed that up with oil change on wife’s car. Then I moved cars around in barn, pulled 80 Camaro off lift and put Saturn Sky on, that’s next on the list. After that I worked on my 95 Chevy Truck, had to pull steering gear box off. Then it was time to play with Grandpa and let grand kids drive the riding lawnmower. Now I am all tired out

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Cheaned out the garage a bit. Picked up a complete 01 5.3 with 198k for $500 for the s10.

The guy sent me video of the dash showing good oil pressure/mileage and then video under the hood running the camera over the valve covers.
I did not hear any slap so I will throw some gaskets on it, pull the ac, remove the vats, and run it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I changed the oil/lubed the Dixie Chopper and cut a little grass, then worked in the yard a little. The cooling system in the truck seems to be doing just fine. No leaks from the coolers, etc. Now I just need to track down that pesky oil leak.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Went to the state office and was able to finally get the title for the 79 f150 I bought in January in my name. I will begin tearing that down here starting tomorrow. I am using the 9" for the s10, keeping the granny 4 speed and the 205, then selling the rest(I need to watch several videos to remove the plow and save the frame, worst case I cut it).
I drove a hour over to Swap Specialties and the guy was able to do a vats remove etc to run the 01 5.3 standalone. They are a great company that does tuning and builds custom harnesses to take the headaches out of swaps. Highly recommended.

I have a walboro fuel pump, pieces to build hinges for the s10 doors, a deaver 9"/2.5 spring under kit, some new s10 leafs, and a few block off things for the 5.3 coming over the 2 weeks. I figure by the time I have the Ford tore down I will have the stuff to swap the 9". Once that is loosely mounted I can figure out engine/transmission placment to axle angle, build a rough tank, and fire the engine to check things over. The kid sent me video. But I want to get the thing running and can watch what it does in real time. I have another 200k 5.3 shortblock sitting on the shop floor as well as a ton of parts to refresh. I am about 3 months from this thing moving. But things are moving much faster now that a majority of the things with the custom cab are figured out and the weather is warming up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
U have been trying for weeks to log in again,,everytime we have a storm and loose power , i get logged out someway,anyway i hopes this works ,not sure,
i would like to brag on my grandson for a minute,,he weighes 138 pound and set a record last year for 310 pounds,,he broke it yesterday in his weight class with an amazing 405 pounds, ,,if video plats read coaches coment, he is a sophmore
,i will be back on after while if this.works,

Pickens Dragons Strength on Twitter: "Rising SR ATH @dominic_perry_ weighing 138 pounds and squatting 405. This guy is a MINI-HORSE! Pound for pound strongest kid in the school. Go Dragons! #MakeItHappen https://t.co/TxWrIlTMkq" / Twitter

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Shot a video of it working then went to shoot the truck down with liquid wrench then started pulling the plow off the 79.
I had a set screw that holds one of the lever cables sheer off. I got out the welder and tacked it and the screw sheered off further down.

Ok. Tacked it a 2nd time and it shered off flush.

I am getting pentration the screw is just in there.

The other one came right out without issue. So I drenched it with more liquid wrench and will try removing it on Saturday.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,281 Posts
U have been trying for weeks to log in again,,everytime we have a storm and loose power , i get logged out someway,anyway i hopes this works ,not sure,
i would like to brag on my grandson for a minute,,he weighes 138 pound and set a record last year for 310 pounds,,he broke it yesterday in his weight class with an amazing 405 pounds, ,,if video plats read coaches coment, he is a sophmore
,i will be back on after while if this.works,

Pickens Dragons Strength on Twitter: "Rising SR ATH @dominic_perry_ weighing 138 pounds and squatting 405. This guy is a MINI-HORSE! Pound for pound strongest kid in the school. Go Dragons! #MakeItHappen https://t.co/TxWrIlTMkq" / Twitter
That's cool David. i know you are proud of him. It's good to see you got logged back in.

I have spent the last two days cleaning up the shop. Lots of stuff is getting thrown away. Hopefully, I can get the shop cleaned up and organized enough to enjoy being down there. I ran out of shelf space and have ended up with stuff stacked on top of other stuff. Progress is being made but I am far from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

John

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's cool David. i know you are proud of him. It's good to see you got logged back in.

I have spent the last two days cleaning up the shop. Lots of stuff is getting thrown away. Hopefully, I can get the shop cleaned up and organized enough to enjoy being down there. I ran out of shelf space and have ended up with stuff stacked on top of other stuff. Progress is being made but I am far from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

John
John, that's one thing that I am still dealing with here, too. I still have a LONG way to go in getting stuff out of dad's shop and into mine. Lots of shelving to build in mine, too.
I did make some progress on my 5-speed swap this evening. I had to pull the Camaro tail housing off and replace it with an S-10 housing to get the shifter out from under the seat. Shifter, driveshaft, and most of the fasteners in the rear mounts are removed. I was planning on unbolting the starter and strapping it to the headers but I can't get the upper bolt. What is in there now is a through-bolt, but I have no idea if that is what is supposed to be there or not. The head of the bolt is jammed in tight to the bellhousing, so I can't even get a socket on it enough to get a good bite on it. The other end is buried behind the header tubes. It looks like I have room to pull the bellhousing with the starter still attached, so that's what I'm going to try. The engine was installed on the frame before the body was set back in place, so it's a bit more of a challenge now. I wonder if I can fit a regular gear reduction starter on the block with the stock '57 Bellhousing...

·
True Hotrodder
1,546 Posts
Well after a weekend off getting rained out we went back to the track this past Saturday. Mind you this is now opening day for the first points race of the season, we have lost a long time race track in the area so a lot of those racers have now moved to this track. Classes are Jr. Dragster, Pro (non-electronics), Super Pro, Bike. In Pro we have 104 entries and Super Pro 162 entries - the place is packed plus some areas are marked off as they are installing new LED lighting in the parking area. This is also the first weekend for registration, safety inspections and express tech purchases. The line for safety inspections is roughly a 1/8th mile long with 2 lanes of vehicles - all trying to get their race credentials. After getting that accomplished it's back to our pit space to do final setup on our cars for the first of two time runs. As I mentioned previously Elvira was an absolute ***** the last time out, giving me problems with a water pump noise, burnout, launch and feeling like high gear had an anchor attached to it. Over the two week space, I had the water pump rebuilt, we adjusted some settings for the burnout and launch, then pulled the transmission pan to check that issue. The trans really didn't show any issues; fluid was clean, no burn smell, minimal particles in the bottom of the pan from the clutches and the inside of the case looked absolutely spotless. Even the Chrysler filter was clean. I washed everything up and reinstalled it along with plenty of fresh synthetic trans fluid. My guess is that I was a bit low on fluid causing the high gear issue. First disappointment was after warming the engine up, the water pump started getting noisy again - not as bad as before but darn it - still not working right. I have also decided that I am going to work on my SLE - starting line enhancer - this allows me to stage my car at idle with my foot holding the throttle completely open. My son is running both classes and runs the Pro class first. His car moves just slightly to the right but makes a decent pass. The track at least seems to be working pretty good. S/P is finally called and we both head up for our 1st time trial. I make a decent burnout, pre-stage, set the SLE and then bump in to stage. Top bulb and release the transbrake, delay counts down and the car drives away like I'm at a traffic light. About 500 feet out, I encounter some tire shake but stay in it to finish the run. Nothing to write home about due to the lousy start. Taking a look at things, the SLE is having a difficult time pulling the carb open. I'm not sure at this point if the carb is binding, the linkage is binding or the SLE is having an issue. I can't pull it apart as that would mean no throttle control so we decide that's the end of the SLE deal for the day and in the 2nd time shot I will go back to my previous routine of launching the car. We now have Bike, Jr. and Pro to sit through so I head up to the tower on my bicycle to get my Express Tech sticker. Another $30 bucks but I don't have to sit in the inspection line the rest of this season. While I'm up there I hear the announcement that there is a weather front coming in and they are going to cancel the 2nd time shots for all classes. Great - just great. So we are now going to eliminations with one bad time shot, no idea of what the car will run and probably no chance of winning the round. And that's about how it works out. I dial a fairy tale 4.97 on the car, pre-stage, stage, leave on the top bulb, redlight and the car moves out about 100 feet and dies. Dead as a door-nail - dead. I put it in neutral and can spin the starter but no ignition, no gauges, nothing. They push me off the track and while looking for the problem I notice that my dead-man safety switch is activated. It sits on the left side of my dashboard and is an aircraft style switch, my left hand never comes off the steering wheel so how it activated is completely beyond me at this time. All I can say is that Elvira never ceases to amaze me in finding ways to screw up a pass!
Anyway, my son has gotten gifts in both of 1st rounds of Pro and S/P so I load up my car but plan to hang around and help him out but before we can even blink, here comes the rain storm. We get his car loaded up and the rain is getting heavier. They finally call the event a completed race and will send checks out to everyone that had won their 1st round. Heading home, I now have to figure out the SLE, the water pump and where did that tire shake come from? This coming weekend is another race but right now on Thursday evening, temperatures are not looking great for Saturday. I have managed to correct the SLE issue - I think. The Biondo air regulator is supposed to be factory set at 100psi but rigging up a poor man's test deal, I only had 80psi. I shimmed the valve in the regulator to get 105psi and the SLE is now ripping the carb to full open. The water pump I will have to live with and tomorrow I will check the balance on the front tires to make sure they are not part of the tire shake problem. Til next time.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,281 Posts
Just finished my fourth day on the garage. It is good to see it becoming a place I want to hang around in again. I am not done but have really made good progress. You would not expect this small shop to generate 5 55gal drum liners worth of junk but it has with more to go.

John

My sister in law gave me this metal cabinet. It is perfect for my paint material.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I made some progress on the trans swap in the 57. Saginaw 4 speed is out, bellhousing is off, and the clutch is off. I was surprised at the hot spots on the pressure plate and the marks on the flywheel. I'm guessing that it came from when we had the Muncie 4 speed and the original rear axle in it. I have no idea what the gear ratio was, but it was definitely numerically lower than the 3.73s in it now. The Saginaw is a 3.55 first gear out of a Vega, so that made for an easy take off for sure. I'll be looking for a new pilot bushing in the morning. We had a roller bearing in it, and the bushing in the clutch kit is magnetic.
Now I have a question for the tri-five guys... We're running the original bellhousing in the car, and I'm having a slight issue with the starter mount. The upper holes on both the starter and the bellhousing are threaded 3/8-16. Is there a difference in 55, 56, 57 bells and starters? I think the bell is from a 55 if I'm reading the date code right. I think it's J1855. October 18, 1955? Dad had a 5/16 bolt passing through, which was a bear to get out. I ended up having to grind the head down on a wrench to get it in there. I think what I'm going to do is drill out the snout on the starter and put a short stud in the bellhousing. The 3/8 stud will make it harder to get a nut on the top, but I can bring another wrench down I guess.
IMG_20210402_195934653_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210402_195954649.jpg
IMG_20210402_200027658.jpg
IMG_20210402_195925671.jpg

·
Registered
745 Posts
A little more progress, and yet another wrench in the works... I did get the bellhousing modded to work better with the '57 starter. From what I found this morning, 55-56 starters are different than 57's. I did a little digging to try to get a good look at a '55 starter, but couldn't find anything but parts. No complete starters for some reason. I did a little clearance grinding on the back of the bell to give me room for a socket head cap screw to feed through and thread into the starter, then I drilled out the threads in the bell. I started cleaning up the flywheel and noticed that there was noticeable wear where the clutch disc rides. I can feel a step where it should be flat, so it's off to the machine shop to get it surfaced. I did get the new pilot bushing installed, but that's about it until I get the flywheel back from the shop. I'm guessing that dad didn't get it surfaced when he put it together all those years ago. I'm pretty sure that the car doesn't have more than about 7-8k miles on it, tops, since it was assembled, so there really shouldn't have that much wear in it. Oh well, at least it will be all new when I get it back together.

34741 - 34760 of 34795 Posts