Hot Rod Forum banner

34761 - 34780 of 34795 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Came off a 12 hour(overnight) shift.
Was able to lay down for a hour and a half.
Drove 70 miles and grabbed a sm465 with a aluminum hydro bell for the s10.

Drove back and had 2 hours of sleep.
Went to work trying to remove the cable on the Western plow on the 79 F150. Gave up on that after a hour and tore the control box apart and popped cable off then fed it through the firewall.
Went to playing removing the 10 bolts holding the plow to the frame. Eight 5/8 bolts and two that were 1 1/8. Two were rounded off and I said screw it. I pulled out my grinder and just took the heads of the bolts off then punched the bolts through. The thing should have just slid off at that point. They wedged it on there or the frame became tweaked. After another hour of pulling and prying I was able to inch it forward and despise being careful the thing fell forward on me. Lost one of the square glass lights but nothing else was damaged.

Stood the plow up and will post that for sale to recoup some of the cost of the truck. I really only want to keep the 9, 4speed, and 205. I believe I can sell the rest so those parts cost me nothing in the long run.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,394 Posts
I actually worked on a hot rod today! And YES it's a "hot rod" my son's turbo charged auto crosser that would blow the doors off every car I have ever owned! We shortened his roll bar a little to clear the hard top. Damn that car is cool!

Brian
Miata rollbar.jpg

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just finished my fourth day on the garage. It is good to see it becoming a place I want to hang around in again. I am not done but have really made good progress. You would not expect this small shop to generate 5 55gal drum liners worth of junk but it has with more to go.

John

View attachment 615449

View attachment 615450

View attachment 615451

My sister in law gave me this metal cabinet. It is perfect for my paint material.

View attachment 615452

View attachment 615453
Looks great John,,very well orginized,i need a cabinet like yours all my cans are on shelfs and exposed

·
Slow but willing learner
5,281 Posts
Today I switched from cleaning and organizing to doing a little playing with the car. I made and attached the mounting tabs for the rear upholstery panels. If I finish installing them tomorrow, I can mark off the door panels and start to upholster them.

Precious sat out in the sun again today. It has really made the top stand tall. I am excited.

John

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Finished tearing up the bed/burning the wood. All the banging and such freed up some gunk where the bracket rubbed through and the gas tank with it starting a 1 drip every 10 seconds leak.

Threw a bucket under that, shot some pentrating lube on the straps and started on the interior.

All basic stuff. But that plastic speedometer clip refuses to be squeezed. So I am going to see if droping the steering shaft will give me better access.

·
Registered
745 Posts
More progress on the 57 this evening. I picked up my flywheel from the machine shop on the way home from work. I installed that, the clutch, bell, starter, and even got the trans shoved up in place. The driveshaft that I was hoping would work is about an inch too short. I found two more driveshafts that I had tucked away over in dad's shop, so I'll bring them home tomorrow. If neither of them fit then I'll have to have one of my others shortened. I'll need to cut the hole for the shifter and patch the hole from the other one. Progress is good, but still lots to be done.
IMG_20210406_172313510.jpg
IMG_20210406_173559381.jpg
IMG_20210406_182147361_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210406_183508242_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210406_183521617_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210406_183531608_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Played with the 79 a bit.
Took out the back sliding window and removed the very thick fiberglass Lund windshield visor. No cracks in the visor so that's cool. Back window needs weatherstripping and I only will ask $20. But the visior is going for $ 600 used online. I will be happy to get $200.

·
Registered
745 Posts
More progress on the 57. I marked the tunnel, pulled the trans and got the hole cut without setting the carpet on fire. Bonus points there. Trans is back in and bolted in place, clutch linkage is installed and roughly adjusted. I put the S-10 shifter in just to see what it was like, and darned if it isn't pretty good. It's no Hurst Competition Plus like what came out, but the placement of the shift ball is pretty close to what was there before. I think I'm gonna button up the shifter and keep my eyes open for another S-10 shift lever with good chrome. I'll put an extra spring or two from the Camaro shifter in it but will otherwise leave it stock for now. I still need to patch the old shifter hole and come up with a way to cover up the hole in the carpet. I have an idea, but will have to work out the details. The two driveshafts that I found in dad's shop were even shorter than what I already had, so no dice there. I'll either have to shorten one that I already have, or have one built.
IMG_20210407_193743385_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
745 Posts
The parts came in for my washing machine repair today, so I got that put back together and tested. Just in time, too. I put on my last pair of clean socks this morning, lol. Tomorrow brings more work on the '57.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I dropped off one of my too-long driveshafts at a shop today to be shortened. They will also be replacing both U-joints and a new slip yoke as well. I got my reverse light plug wired in, crossmember installed, and I have the shifter lubed and put back together. The only thing left on the shifter is a tack-weld or two to hold the top plate in place. Shifter install, and clutch linkage adjustment tomorrow. I'll install the just-a-little-bit-too-short driveshaft to get that done since I'll have the rear wheels up off the lift.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got my shifter tacked up and installed, and I got the short-shaft in it so I could fire it up and row the gears. The trans is quiet and smooth shifting, just like it should be. It did seem to be a little stiff going into 5th the first couple of times. I'll know more once I get the actual driveshaft in it. Almost getting to the cosmetic part of this swap...

·
Registered
745 Posts
The shift lever from the S-10 was kinda rusty, so I sanded it down and put a coat of primer on it last night. I sprayed the first coat of black on it just a few minutes ago. The floor patch is in with self tappers at the moment. I'll be swapping them out with rivets and sealing the joint before I cover it up. The Shift boot cleaned up nicely and will do the job until I figure out what I want to do permanently.
IMG_20210411_113638823.jpg
IMG_20210411_113857583.jpg
IMG_20210411_113950046_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
745 Posts
I experimented a little with the shift boot. I think it works. I picked up a set of floor mats with the same loop style carpet as what is in the car now. I used the metal base ring as a template and cut a hole in the mat. I used a lighter to melt the ends of the cut loops and then pushed the boot through the hole and dropped it in the car. Still waiting on the second coat of paint on the shift lever to dry and then I can put that on. The blue loctite is drying on the shift ball insert. It's coming together. Its not John Long's work on Precious, but I think it'll pass for now, eh?
IMG_20210411_113950046_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210411_131013942.jpg
IMG_20210411_132127403.jpg
IMG_20210411_132208272.jpg
IMG_20210411_132345427_HDR.jpg

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,394 Posts
Didn't get anything "done" on the truck but I got out there and started the plan on finishing up sectioning the hood.

Brian

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Played around with the 79 f150.

I took up a collection of bolts throughout the day.

Front clip is off. Firewall is bare.

Interior is gutted and cab is prepped to be cut up.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I didn't do much car-wise except for cut a shifter hole in one of the front floor mats that I bought for the '57 the other day. The front mat is longer (wider?), and I was able to tuck the ends under the rubber mats, which leaves only the front exposed. The rear is tucked under the seat. I think that makes for a bit cleaner look. The shift lever was dry, so I was able to install that and the shift knob. No pics yet since I didn't take my phone with me, but with the black shift lever the ball seems to be floating. I also discovered why my mower has been running a little erratically lately. High RPM, no load, it has been surging. Idle was steady, and under a load it was steady. Today it was more erratic, and it died when I cut the throttle back to idle. Apparently there is some sort of welch plug missing from the top of the carb. I saw a bit of smoke/vapor puff out of a hole in the top when I squeezed the intake hose. I hosed it out with brake cleaner and fired the mower back up. I put my finger over the opening and the engine smoothed right out, and even idled again. That welch plug is probably not available on its own... I think it had been loose for a while and finally fell out today while I was mowing.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
IAC on the 01 was acting up and by the rusted shape I was not surprised one of the torqx stripped.
I have around a dozen throttle bodys kicking around so I cleaned and swapped a newer one in throwing a new IAC sensor in.

I dont pull the hoses at the throttle body. I pull them at the other ends. The factory clamps can be a bit of a headache to get off/on so I swap to hose clamps.

Makes it much easier to loosen and pull next time.

34761 - 34780 of 34795 Posts