Hot Rod Forum banner

34901 - 34920 of 34988 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
My bride's van has been making a roaring noise for the last few days. I ASSUMED that it was one of the rear hub assemblies, so I went ahead and ordered two from rock auto. I had to replace one a couple of years ago, and they're not too awful bad. I picked up a couple of alignment shims too, since the rear has been just out of spec for quite a while. The roar turned into a rumble today. Bad timing as I am working a lot of OT this month, and don't really have the time to deal with this right now. Plan was to work it next weekend. Ha. Not the rear hubs either. Double Ha. Pass side front wheel bearing, and it's not easy like the rear. Hub is pressed into the bearing, and the bearing is pressed into the knuckle. From opposite sides. I got the knuckle off but could not come up with a workable stack of stuff to be able to press the hub out. Tomorrow project. After work. At least O' shows the bearing in stock. With 291K on the odo I guess I can't complain too much.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Slow but willing learner
5,335 Posts
I tore the rear seat down today and was amazed to find the spring assembly was perfect. Hard to tell much in a picture, but they are really good.

I covered the springs with some old tweed material and figured out my pattern spacing.

Believe it or not, poor old Precious had never even had a seat cover put on her. She still had the origional upholstery throughout.

John

I also replaced a rear axle snubber. The rubber bumper had fallen out of it.........Good day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Worked on the intake for the Suzuki just about to throw the carb on and wedge the Suzuki between the dunes again and go bombing down a dry creek bed. As if the bent frame, broken body mount, motor mount, radiator mounts, bent traction bar, suspension blown into oblivion along with steering, blown head gasket, trashed rings and pistons, oblong cylinders, along with everything else. Most of the problems are taken care of. The 92 Suzuki is my dad's pride and joy, mostly because it left him stuck once after the clutch and head gasket saw the pearly gates in the sand dunes. The amount of cracks in the frame that had to be welded is ridiculous, On the outside it looks fine except for the passenger mirror that is held together with duct tape, missing trim, zip-tied grill, broken led light in the grill, minor dents busted rear hub cap raked bumpers, and a hell of a lot more. That thing is about as strong as the rock the lower control arm was attacked by (He has lots of fun taking people for rides in it and bringing them back looking like a ghost, even if it means you can't go above 10 mph without getting thrown into a ditch).

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,390 Posts
Right on Mike.

·
True Hotrodder
1,662 Posts
Well I did get the oil and filter changed on Elvira today, plus after welding a bolt and a couple of nuts together I was able to remove that water pump plug and wrap it in teflon tape. I lost about a gallon and half of distilled water but that beats pulling the water pump completely out again. I also pulled the plugs, cleaned them and tried something a little different with the plug gaps - I'll let you know how that works out. Of course, per usual I have found another problem. My 4500 is getting stuck when I pull it completely open. Not a good thing at all. I had put some weaker return springs on when I was trying to correct the SLE issues, I'm going to go back to the previous ones but I am not sure if that is going to correct the problem. Still, I don't think the carb should just hang itself wide open. More tomorrow.

·
Registered
781 Posts
As usual with me, there was more drama in the Hooptie van saga... I was able to get it mostly apart, but one side of the inner race is still on the hub. There is not enough edge for me to grab with anything to press it off. I tried to cut it with my porta-band saw. It just said "Ummm, how about NO?" I think I heard it laugh a little bit, too. So, instead of a $60 bearing with a 3 year warranty I had to get the "hub kit" for $75, but it only carries a 1 year warranty. To get the old parts pressed out of the knuckle I ended up using several old parts out of my T-5 trans, including the old 1-2 slider. The way the knuckle is designed, there really is no way to press out the bearing without destroying it. At least I have some good ammo for my slingshot now. At least I will once I round them all up off of the floor. No telling where they went. The new parts went together very well, and I had it reassembled on the van fairly quickly. Test drive showed that a certain amount of the roar is still there, but I can't tell if its tires or bearings at this point. It does seem to be coming from the back, which is what I thought originally. There is no play in any of the wheels now, and the tires are just about at their end-of-life. There is some movement in the strut mounts, so replacements are on order now.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,390 Posts
Got my bushings spun for my alignment bar. Axles ordered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yesterday was a great day got to do nothing and relax for a bit and a little more work on the Suzuki. This morning however I had to walk for an hour because someone slashed my bike tire during seminary. If your going to destroy something destroy your own crap! $30 worth of tire down the freaking drain, I am not made of money. That $30 could have gone into buying another mower and selling it for $150. that $150 could have gone into the 93 Mazda.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Waiting on parts so I decided to start putting my pile of motors/transmissions on crates. So I found some free crates on Craigslist then power washed them down.

I got the 472 on a crate moved it and went to move the next crate. My palllet jack refused to go up again. Kind of a important part of the whole putting everything on pallets so after messing around filling and trying to deny the obvious I will need to replace the seals. I paid $75 for it like 10 years ago so its earned a few new seals.

On my way back from picking up the pallets I scored a like new Nuvi gps for $5. I love these things. They make a great hot rod speedometer/odometer at only 4x3" and the things are made to automatically turn on and shut off with key on power. I had a truck version I put 300k on and one like this with over 20k so this is a great find in my book.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I picked up another pallet jack for $100 with a bent front fork. After a bit of heat and a BFH I had the foot straightened.

I bought this cart at a auction for $1. Thats 700lbs on top and it rolls around easily.

2.2, 2.5 and a 5.3 on pallets before calling it a night.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Suzuki update. Sorry for the poor photo quality.
The grill is finally mounted by zip ties again, we went from 15-20 mph to zero by getting wedged between the dunes we had the front end buried in the sand. The rear passenger side tire was about three feet in the air. We found the grill disconnected and bolts ripped from the plastic.

Datsun carb on the homemade intake manifold. All that is left is ignition, some wiring, and clutch linkage. The block had been over bored .05 inches new incorrect but correct enough to work distributor.

·
True Hotrodder
1,662 Posts
My last issue was a carb that was staying open at full throttle. I ended up trying a little bit heavier spring on the throttle and that has taken care of the problem. With everything disconnected, I couldn't find any particular component that was causing the problem but when hooked up, a guess the combination needed a bit more help. I want to change the way I have the springs attached to the carb throttle and I am looking through all my containers of spare parts - it's a small "L" shaped piece that attaches to the throttle lever and has two holes drilled in it for two return springs. I know I have one - just have to find it!

I got everything else cleaned up, oil and filter changed, coolant refilled and the diaper back on. She had been outside in the driveway for the last two weeks and we still have a ton of pollen floating around so I gave her a quick bath but as the body panels are now coated in a satin black paint, I usually just use water and a soft towel. I found a new product that I want to let you know about it - it's called Rat Wax (Cleans and Protects Matte Finishes) and this stuff is fantastic for flat, matte or satin paints. They also have stuff for wraps. I picked up bottles of their wash and detailer. It doesn't take but a couple of capfuls in a bucket of water for the wash and it gently removes the grime - even the minor bit of rubber on the rear panels from the burnouts came off easily. After drying it with my modified 120v leaf blower, I went back over everything with the detailer as it also contains a UV protector. You have to use the detailer the way it says. A soft microfiber towel is needed - you spray a bit on the towel, then wipe down an area on a panel in one direction. It will start to dry, flip the towel over or use a second one and buff it. It's that easy. Then you move on to the next area. I ended up even using a bit on my lexan windshield and it turned out nice. No scratches on anything and the look of her is fantastic!

After the bath and detail, I brought the trailer around and loaded Elvira up but didn't tie her down yet - (she loves that ya know) - I need to charge the battery but she is ready for the next outing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Luck has turned around for me this week finally. The Suzuki finally runs nice and smooth.

Got a free lawnmower along with another lawnmower engine. The first is a 216 cc honda mower, the second one is a
1993 ish 6.5 HP Toro an older version of my 1998 6.5 HP Toro also known as "1 Ton".

I have cleaned the carb, burned the carbon off the plug, and fixed the self-propelled issue. The fishing wait was able to be used to increase tension. Once I get a new air filter and more motor oil I will sell it.

I am going to scrap the new Toro deck, reset the valve lash and store it for later.
I was able to get new rear tires for 1 ton, the guy who gave me the other mowers had one more mower that was
exactly the same mower as 1 ton the engine was seized up so I took the tires, The old ones are bald and paper-thin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Went to a local sign company I've dealt with previously for lettering on cars I built, and went over the signage for my '39 Chev gasser. They were extremely helpful, and very quick turnaround. Less than 24 hrs. after our meeting Chris at Signs Now sent me these mockup images for the stencils they'll make so I can paint the lettering. Should have the actual stencils today, or Tuesday. They will all be two piece stencils to do the main color, and the border.

34901 - 34920 of 34988 Posts