Hot Rod Forum banner

34921 - 34940 of 34988 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,390 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
More work on the hooptie van this evening. Front struts, and sway bar bushings and end links replaced. I got started on the rear hubs, but did not finish them. That's a tomorrow problem...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Learned that dollar store electrical tape works as an inner tube patch kit. Took an old inner tube that had 10 holes and patched them. Lasted long enough to get to Walmart for a new tube they still don't have a 29-inch bike tread so I have the original paper-thin tread on it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hooptie got new rear hubs with new alignment shims to tweak the rear toe setting a little, fresh oil & filter, and a trans fluid drain and fill this morning. Took it out for a drive and it's amazing how quiet it rides now. Go figure. It still wants to drift left a little, but not as bad as before. Hopefully the alignment shop will be open on Monday. 291K on the odo and counting.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Learned that dollar store electrical tape works as an inner tube patch kit. Took an old inner tube that had 10 holes and patched them. Lasted long enough to get to Walmart for a new tube they still don't have a 29-inch bike tread so I have the original paper-thin tread on it.
I've done that before. It will actually hold for quite a while if you put enough wraps around the tube. On one of my old dirt bikes I would partially inflate the tube, wrap the hole with electrical tape and then deflate to reinstall in the tire. I tended to get creative when I was a broke teenager. Money for gas or a tube patch? Gas it is, lol.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Did a brake job on my granddaughter's Honda Fix, and then repaired the muffler hangers at the rear of my '39 Chev. They were stamped steel 90's and both cracked. Made a pair from angle iron, and painted them to replace the crap ones.

·
True Hotrodder
1,662 Posts
Spent the last two days cleaning out (best that I can) my storage shed. Along with a nice in-habitation of mice and their buddies the snakes - it was a mess - and really still not much better of a mess. I did however take an entire truck load of garbage and junk to the dump yesterday. I have a small ton of parts stored for my '55 project and decided that it was about time I opened all those boxes and tried to sort stuff out a bit. It's better and at least I have a real idea of what I have and what I am missing. What really bothers me is that I have a new set of Autometer gauges somewhere and I have not located them yet. They are not in the shed - at least I know that now. I also have a full width workbench in this shed that is still covered with a lot of stuff that needs to be put somewhere. I guess I'll go back and see what I can do about some of it here shortly. One corner is too far gone at this point to worry about it but it's mostly brake stuff for the car. I guess the good news is that I can actually open the door without running into something and I can walk to the bench unimpeded. That is an accomplishment. I am also thinking about opening a small engine repair business to supplement the retirement so that was a motivating factor too. I have been doing more and more of that type of work on the side so maybe it's time to hang out a shingle and see what happens. I also have a small handful of various parts that I'm never going to use so I'll be taking some pictures and putting that stuff up for sale soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Polished the old tires for you Pugsy still has a 20th of an inch left, soon there will be no cracks, just need to adjust the drive system and glue the rimes to the tires.

Did some more work on the honda mower and the Suzuki's exhaust and clutch linkage.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------No more cracks in the one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Waiting on parts for the s10 still.

My 01 must have sensed I had some time because I have a missfire. I threw some new plugs in and ordered a new regulatior tonight that will be here Tuesday. I have a bucket full of coil rows I can throw on if the regulatior does not fix it.
I am 95% sure it is the regulatior though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Waiting on parts for the s10 still.

My 01 must have sensed I had some time because I have a missfire. I threw some new plugs in and ordered a new regulatior tonight that will be here Tuesday. I have a bucket full of coil rows I can throw on if the regulatior does not fix it.
I am 95% sure it is the regulatior though.
Most likely.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Headed back out to the garage to clean the bugs off the front of the 57 before they turned to concrete. I finished that up and decided to take care of one of the quirks in my HF 20 ton press. The moving part had a lot of slop in the ends. A C-clamp and a hammer took care of the overwhelming majority of the slop. Clamp one side, smack the other with the hammer. Lather, rinse, repeat. I may wrap a thin piece of aluminum around one ear on each side to get a little more slop out if needed. I noticed some movement when I was pressing parts of the T5 trans, but it was really noticeable when I was pressing the front bearing for the Hooptie van. Maybe a strip or two from a drink can will do the trick if needed.
IMG_20210531_151141893.jpg
IMG_20210531_151338763.jpg
IMG_20210531_151347887.jpg
IMG_20210531_151519763.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Headed back out to the garage to clean the bugs off the front of the 57 before they turned to concrete. I finished that up and decided to take care of one of the quirks in my HF 20 ton press. The moving part had a lot of slop in the ends. A C-clamp and a hammer took care of the overwhelming majority of the slop. Clamp one side, smack the other with the hammer. Lather, rinse, repeat. I may wrap a thin piece of aluminum around one ear on each side to get a little more slop out if needed. I noticed some movement when I was pressing parts of the T5 trans, but it was really noticeable when I was pressing the front bearing for the Hooptie van. Maybe a strip or two from a drink can will do the trick if needed. View attachment 616669 View attachment 616670 View attachment 616671 View attachment 616672

Bug cement is the worst to clean off. Those little kamikazes are annoying just about need sandpaper. The worst is fresh varnish and paint, When my grandparents built their house who knows how long ago they had to redo all the varnish on the hardwood floor throughout their home, there were too many bugs stuck in the varnish and paint, Had to sand all varnish off and redo the window screens and still, there were lots of bugs stuck in everything. The paint was painted over.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Threw the regulatior on the 01 and the 94 u bolts showed up also.

Painted them trimmed them down.

Then installed before doing a suspension test.

I finally get to see this thing with the new stance and I like it. The rollers on the front are 205 and the final will be 195. So with the engine weight I expect the front (and oil pan) 2" lower.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I went to a auction trying to get some new wood for the trailer. No luck getting that for a steal. So I just dropped $50 on some things.

I picked up 5 gates for $2.50 ea. They will close off the back of my property and will make temporarily bedsides on this trailer.

In the bed is some steel, what may be a rear hitch(bumper) for the s10, pin jacks, extension cords, battery charger, some interior stuff for the house, some 45's, and a box of 70's motorcycle magazines.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,415 Posts
I went to a car show today and it fired me up to come home and do something on the truck. I didn't work "on" the truck but I made saw horses to get the hood done. This hood has kicked my ever loving butt! I have said it before, I have chopped many tops, sectioned bodies, made suicide doors (before they had hinges you could buy) and just about every other custom thing you can think of, fender flares, shave door handles, what ever. This hood makes chopping a top look like making a PB&J sandwich! It's been swirling through my head for the past year how in the hell am I going to weld this hood together? Then it hit me recently saw horses! Seems simple and a lot of you will go "duh" but it just hit me, funny how the brain works. So I made them yesterday and will be getting at this baby! DAMN I want to drive this truck again! It's been 25+ years!

Brian
Saw horses.jpg

34921 - 34940 of 34988 Posts