Hot Rod Forum banner

34941 - 34960 of 34988 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,415 Posts
That's great Brian.

Now you got me really nervous.
Not only do I have a top to chop, I have a hood to make.........from scratch.......damn......
With your mind blowing skills you will make me look like a caveman with rocks in my hands! LOL I wish you lived next door to walk me through this hood!

Brian

·
Registered
781 Posts
The Hooptie Van drama seems to come in waves. Hubs, and struts and bearings, and now another alternator. Pulled it into the shop to swap out one of the new hubs with an intermittent ABS sensor issue and the battery light came on. Great. Swapped out the hub and then dug into the charging issue. Key on first to see if the ABS light goes out. Check. Fire it up and the battery light stays on. Let it idle while I look for my battery tester. Go back to the van and the battery light is out. Huh. Blip the throttle and the light comes back on, and I noticed that the headlights got very bright, and the batt light comes back on. It flickers and goes out once the idle comes back down. Huh. Hook up the batt tester and the voltage is showing about 13.9 at idle. Wing the throttle and the gauge pegs out way north of 16 volts. Then began the replacement drama with AAP. This was all on Friday evening. Call them and tell them the situation, overcharging and I have a lifetime warranty. At first they say that I have to bring the old one in for testing before that can order the replacement since it's not in stock. Then they change course and say they'll go ahead and order it, and it will be there in the morning run by 0730. I swing by at about 0900 and it's not there. Now they say 1130 run, maybe. No dice. I called at about 1430 and it's not there. They say 0730 run tomorrow, which is today. I just got home from picking it up, so now I get to install it. At least it's easy to get to. I'll test the battery first, while the cables are off. The first alternator, which I have no reason to think was not the OEM unit from 2000, lasted for 20 years and about 280K miles. The one that died on Friday lasted a year and 2 days. Maybe they sold me a 1 year warranty unit and gave me a lifetime warranty? I dunno, but things usually seem to last about 2 to 3 days past the warranty. Sure wish that was true for lifetime warranty stuff...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
781 Posts
Alternator swap done. Battery was good, charging system is good now. Alternator had 10K miles on it. ABS sys seems happy with the swapped hub. I'm gonna let that ride a bit before I send the bad one back, just in case.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
16,415 Posts
Ok, so I got my five minutes in today! I aligned the front end over at the rad support/frame to then align the hood back a hair on the right side to near perfection. I using a piece of tape marked off the rear and trimmed off the spot that was too long and so I will know how much to lengthen it in the center. I am going to use the strips of metal I cut off the sides to widen the middle.
As as I am posting this I realized that I will likely be moving those pieces a hair before welding them on permanently and that will likely change how much I should have trimmed off them, CRAP! Ok, at least I got something done. LOL

Brian

Brian
Truck hood 2.jpg
Truck hood 3.jpg
Truck hood.jpg

·
Slow but willing learner
5,335 Posts
Ok, so I got my five minutes in today! I aligned the front end over at the rad support/frame to then align the hood back a hair on the right side to near perfection. I using a piece of tape marked off the rear and trimmed off the spot that was too long and so I will know how much to lengthen it in the center. I am going to use the strips of metal I cut off the sides to widen the middle.
As as I am posting this I realized that I will likely be moving those pieces a hair before welding them on permanently and that will likely change how much I should have trimmed off them, CRAP! Ok, at least I got something done. LOL

Brian

Brian View attachment 616858 View attachment 616859 View attachment 616860
WoooHoooo! ;-))))))))

·
Slow but willing learner
5,335 Posts

Brian

Brian View attachment 616858 View attachment 616859 View attachment 616860
WoooHoooo! :))))))))

John

·
True Hotrodder
1,662 Posts
Not much going on around here for the weekend so decided to head up to Eastside Dragway a couple hours away in Waynesboro. I tagged along with my middle son and we loaded up the Vette roadster - neither of us had been at this track before. Old school track but decent surface with a little bit of roughness. Nice breeze in the valley which certainly helped us as the air temp was around 90*. We had two time shots which was nice as a lot of stuff around here has cut us to a single recently. Both runs were within a couple of thousandths so we dialed her and went up for first round. Our opponent was a nice looking Nova and he was a touch better on the tree but off on his dial - always nice to get the first one out of the way. Second round found us against another later model Nova but before we could make that run, a Corvette in the other lane broke it's engine and left a rather decent line of oil from the burnout box to the starting line. That took about 15-20 minutes to get cleaned up. Anyway against the second Nova, the driver decided he wanted to play some games - at first refusing to prestage while we sat there, then after prestaging, took almost 30-45 seconds to finally move up and stage. It doesn't matter to us, this engine will sit there at idle on methanol at a cool 155* for a very long time - no problem. He ended up missing the tree and his dial badly. Third round and we were against a Fox body Mustang - this was a good race resulting in a double breakout with our opponent breaking out a bit more than we did. After this run, we had a little consult on our dial and decided to drop it down a bit. Good thing too as we ran that number with a 2 in the fourth round to take the win. Unfortunately our rabbit's foot was drained at that point as we were now entering round-robin and as he brought the car back around to the staging lanes - it suddenly shutoff. I was walking towards the car when he attempted to restart it and we had an explosion and I saw that the underside of the car was on fire. I sprinted up the hill, yelling at him to get out of the car, I then looked under the car and realized that the exhaust header collector on the driver's side was burning - almost like a torch. I attempted a couple of times to knock the flame out with my hand but that didn't work so I stripped off my t-shirt, wrapped it around my hand and held it against the collector until the fire starved out for oxygen. We pulled the hood off to see what had happened and part of the distributor cap on the side was gone.

We got the car back to the trailer and then realized that along with the cap, the rotor was destroyed as was the reluctor wheel segments were all snapped off. We use a crank-trigger but we had no idea as to what caused those segments to break off. After pulling the distributor the following day - the culprit is the Allen head screw that MSD uses between the plates that allow for mechanical advance. Ours is locked out but that screw backed out, dropping down and caused all kinds of carnage.
We were having a good day and I was rather confident that we were going to get to at least the quarter-finals - but that's racing.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Ordered a 3/4 heim crossover steering kit from RuffStuff. This should let me slightly over bore my pitman and spindles to 5/8 to fit the nice strong Ruffstuff heims without removing excessive material or adding excessive weight.
Here is the over built kit.

Then it was onto doing some surgery.
After several measurments I trimmed off the front. This is the rough cut 3/4" longer then it will end up once the bumper and lights are figured out.

Feels like 40lbs.

Checked the rough linkage layout and did not like how close the lower linkage is.

So the s10 got a nose job.

Thats better. Rough cut of course.

Cleaned up and then moved the engine and transmission to this side of the shop.

For kicks I broke out a tape measure and checked just how short this thing has become.
Overall length once I build some bumpers(4 " added) should be right at 130" with a 80" wheelbase. So this "sub compact" should be a blast to drive even with only 300hp.

·
16,415 Posts
I think I am in on this five minute a day! I got out there and did a little more alignment, pulled a few bolts, getting ready to split the hood again so I can move forward. I felt a home out there last night.

Brian

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Slapped the engine and transmission together.
Positioned it where I wanted to find driveshaft measurements.
Went to DTS and ordered my "driveshaft".

I dont have much slip to play with so I am holding off on making the engine mounts/crossmember till I have the driveshaft and can actual see my compression and make sure if the engine needs to move a 1/2 or even an inch to avoid the driveshaft bottoming out it can.

Also waiting on the steering and other steering stuff.

So I played around for a few hours on the floor getting materials(hidden reinforcement/gussets) around to finalize the seat and dual master brake pedal locations.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
147 Posts
It's to pretty. Go rub it against some rocks.
Well, just got back from the Utah/Arizona trip. @cerial While on the Jeep trails we didn't scrape my front bumper at all, but the center skid plate and rear hitch got scraped several times each. It felt good to put the first scrapes on a previously pampered Jeep. :) Now I have to make a rear bumper with a hitch that doesn't stick down as far as the current one. All in all, I have to say I'm impressed with what a stock Jeep can do. Most of the trails we went on said a minimum 33's and lockers were required, but we made it with 30 x 9.50's without getting into trouble.

Now, back to the Thunderbird!

·
16,415 Posts
Hood 1.jpg

Hood 2.jpg
Hood 3.jpg

Dove in deep waters tonight and split the hood up. Yep my wife has lost her parking space in the garage. Having the top off is making way more sense with working with the hinges and creating clearance for them. I was climbing up under the body into the eng compartment to do this. Now I can do it way easier.

And yes I put five minutes in yesterday!

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,335 Posts
View attachment 616933
View attachment 616934 View attachment 616935

Dove in deep waters tonight and split the hood up. Yep my wife has lost her parking space in the garage. Having the top off is making way more sense with working with the hinges and creating clearance for them. I was climbing up under the body into the eng compartment to do this. Now I can do it way easier.

And yes I put five minutes in yesterday!

Brian

How cool is that? Sectioning that hood is a fascinating project. I am really excited about you working on it again.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,390 Posts
I'm working on house neglect.
Man. are all the trees overgrown around my property. It takes forever to cut up branches.
Not car stuff, but that's what I worked on today......ha..........:sneaky:

Maybe one day I can get the Rod back. Need to change CURSE's steering box to a Jeep GC unit first though.

34941 - 34960 of 34988 Posts