Hot Rod Forum banner
35001 - 35020 of 35059 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Appears something impacted it pretty hard there. Have you run a car-fax on it for crash damage ?
The dash? That's not impact damage. That is just one spot on the dash. There are cracks all over. It's a known problem. Toyota was actually replacing them at no cost to the owner, but my friend missed the deadline.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bad, bad day.

Went to the re-opening of Summerduck Dragway last night. Under new ownership and they have made a lot of improvements plus lengthening the track about 150 feet. I don't care for the water box situation where you have to pull around and then back in to the box - but it is what it is.

Took the Monza out for what I wanted to be a few test passes. Figured with two time shots and a first round I could make three decent hits and collect some data. If I got a bit lucky, then maybe another extra hit but luck decided not to join me for the ride last night. Yesterday was flat hot, miserable high humidity and I was burning through T-shirts - I had brought 5 extras with me. We got the car through the inspection process with them checking the belts, power off switch and the safety neutral switch. Back at the trailer, one last look at everything then put the hood back in place, topped off the methanol and headed to the staging lanes. I decided to run the right lane, may or may not have been the right choice. Anyway I pull around and my son is helping me backup into the water box - mind you we are having to rely on the track person to have the area wet enough. I pull back up to a spot to perform the burnout, pump the brakes (which I now notice are not as solid as I like them) set the linelock and start the burnout - the car twist usually meaning that one tire is dryer than the other. I stop and my son backs me into the water again. This time I tap the pedal and spin them then come out. Same procedure but the burnout is good this time. So move up and light the prestage bulb, once the other car prestages, I start bumping in and just barely turn the stage light on. I get on the brake pedal and start bringing up the RPM, figure to leave about 2500, I notice the car creeps just a touch but then holds. I'm concentrating on that last bulb - it flashes, I nail the throttle, she lifts and I think "good launch!", then a split second later about 45-50 feet out I'm into the right wall. It bounces off that wall and starts heading across the track to the other side and I remember saying to myself "F*** No - not messing up both sides of the car!! - I get it straightened out. I sit there for a few seconds, engine is still running, check the gauges no issues, look for smoke or anything resembling steam - no issues and I drive it away. (Yes I got yelled at for doing that - but I could tell the car was alright).

View attachment 617297

I spent the next hour collecting my missing fiberglass - got most of it recovered. The 1/2" tube mounting for the one-piece front is twisted and destroyed, some wiring is crushed and the right side part of the cowl got bent upwards a bit. I am still not sure what caused it to suddenly turn as nothing in the ladder bars is broken but I need to check the axles and see if the right rear is broken.

Bad, bad day.
The good thing is no one was hurt good luck with the repairs wish I could help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
X3 and it appears the front wheel may be bent as well. My guess would the axle too, for it to turn that suddenly on you. Watch vids where it looks like the car is possessed, turns hard right and slams itself into a wall.
That aluminum rim was most likely bent from the impact there is a high chance that there is suspension damage. There would be no way that tire would pass the tech inspection even by Roadkill standards, and some reason for those "possessed" cars would be broken tie rods, ball joints, bad alignment, or in special cases closing the scrub line gap causing the car to turn sharper than a knife. In drag racing you are playing with a fine line. Odds are always staked against you. It did not sound like the front end was reaching for the sky I have no idea how chasracer managed that, but During suspension travel however the steering alignment does change and it could have had just enough play to cause it to wreck, that is also another reason people lower there cars.

·
True Hotrodder
1,741 Posts
That aluminum rim was most likely bent from the impact there is a high chance that there is suspension damage. There would be no way that tire would pass the tech inspection even by Roadkill standards, and some reason for those "possessed" cars would be broken tie rods, ball joints, bad alignment, or in special cases closing the scrub line gap causing the car to turn sharper than a knife. In drag racing you are playing with a fine line. Odds are always staked against you. It did not sound like the front end was reaching for the sky I have no idea how chasracer managed that, but During suspension travel however the steering alignment does change and it could have had just enough play to cause it to wreck, that is also another reason people lower there cars.
I haven't taken the car out of the trailer yet so there are still a few things to check on.

The car was in the air and it normally carries the front tires 12-15 inches in the air coming down well before the 60' beam. This time we stayed in the air longer as the paint marks on the wall show an initial hit about 2/3rds up on the Jersey barrier about 10 feet from the 60' beam. Normally I lock the steering wheel with my left hand at about 8/9 so as to keep the car straight when it comes down. Initially I thought something had broken in the rear suspension but a visual at the track didn't show anything - I'll get more into it once I have it back in the shop.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Lots of measuring and double checking for not alot of progress. But I got the moveable part of my hinges welded up.

I am using these bolts as pins. No nuts required. I am grinding the tops smooth then cutting the bolts flush with the bottom.

It lets me slap the non moveable part right against the door/cab and weld at both sides of each 1" spacer. With 12" of welds per door these hinges are going to be very strong and using pins allows the doors to be removed quickly if I feel like running with the doors off on a sunny day.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Finished up my pins. One of those things this is not going to take that long. Then 7 hours later.

Ready for welding. But I had enough fun and once these are welded there is no adjustment. So I am done for the day.

·
True Hotrodder
1,741 Posts
Didn't want to miss anyone - I really appreciate the comments and good wishes.

Thanks!

Reactions: John long

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
What is it's function Pugs?

John
It's going to hold all my long tubes, rods, pipe clamps, drive shaft, all in a tiny space.
Will it? Dunno.
I already moved the front box down. It was too high. I can store blocks and bits in there.
More to follow.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
What is it's function Pugs?

John
Done, don't feel like painting it.

Even holds fluorescent tubes. Back slot has a "door" as one hits the ceiling with long stuff.
Would have to roll the whole thing forward to get stuff in and out.

·
True Hotrodder
1,741 Posts
This week hasn't been too good. Sunday wasn't bad, but Monday and part of Tuesday I was feeling the effects of the wreck. A bit out of sorts I guess. I still haven't gotten the car in the shop yet - just haven't felt like chasing it yet. I finally started putting the pieces of the fender back together. Used some left over angle aluminum I had and self-tapping screws - tomorrow I'll start mending the fiberglass. Thought about a new front end - $1200 is the best deal I could find and that didn't include shipping and packaging - probably $1500-$1600. I can buy a lot of fiberglass mat and resin for that money. Once I get the fender mended, then it has to be attached to the rest of the front end assembly. Not bad really, I only lost about a 6 square inch place on the upper part of the fender. My guess is that area was totally shattered. And of course I still haven't figured out what caused it yet so that's staying on my mind a lot.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I got my passenger door on and it works great.

Will open up 90 degrees allowing easier loading of stuff if I have the passenger seat out.

My drivers I have a bit off so I will be redoing that tomorrow.
After some video research I am sold on the pan below.

It has everything I need with a few extra nice features at a fair price. So that oil pan and some extra speedway mounts will be here this weekend.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I insatalled the 2nd garage door opener at moms place today. This one went quite a bit faster than the first one. But... There's almost always a "but", right? It doesn't work. I got the old opener out, got the new one in place. Stupid sensors on the door tracks had their lights on and steady. That's good. Go to program the open and closed limits, which is where I hit the road block. Set the open limit, set the close limit, and then the programming has you run the door up and down to finish programming. Runs up and stops as programmed. Good. Hit the close button and it blinks a code to tell you that the safety nanny sensors are obstructed or not installed. Hmmm, not good... Directions say that if the lights on the sensors are on and steady that all is well. Blinky code says otherwise. I go through all of my connections, all are good. I put my hand in front of the sensor, and the lights blink, just like they're supposed to. I take a chance and call the tech help line on the back of the instructions. Someone actually answered the phone! On a Sunday! Holiday! But that's where the good part ends. The lady is so soft spoken that I can hardly hear her. She takes my information and then transfers me to the chamberlain tech support people. They're closed. Sunday. Holiday. Yep... I get to call back and go through all of the stupid phone tree crap again tomorrow. Yay.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

35001 - 35020 of 35059 Posts