Hot Rod Forum banner
35021 - 35040 of 35059 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Tech support was closed again today. Yay. I went up to Lowes to see if they would let me purchase another opener to swap out the power head and return the defective one. Manager gave me the green light there, so that's what I did. It's working fine now. Door openers are buttoned up, now we're just waiting on new doors. They say 90 days out...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,141 Posts
Hey Congrats John! A damn fine looking scooter it is.. I am jealous of people that have legs long enough to ride a dresser! I had to stretch a bit riding my Softail and always wanted a Electra glide.. but alas I am just to low profile to reach the ground. at 5'6" with short legs I would fall right over. :cool:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Hey Congrats John! A damn fine looking scooter it is.. I am jealous of people that have legs long enough to ride a dresser! I had to stretch a bit riding my Softail and always wanted a Electra glide.. but alas I am just to low profile to reach the ground. at 5'6" with short legs I would fall right over. :cool:
LOL, I have not ridden since Barb became ill. This is an "Electra-glide Ultra Limited Low." I am 5’10” but have short legs too. My old bikes were not "Lows" but since I have been away for a few years I felt it made sense to be sure I can "flat foot" it until I get back to being comfortable with it.

This is the last year for the Twin Cam and it just has 13,000 miles on it. Should be a good bike I hope.

Thanks for the incouragement.

John

·
Registered
801 Posts
Nice try, John. We all know that you would buy the most beat-up, rusted out bike you could find and rebuild it from the ground up. Right? Nice looking bike!

·
Registered
8 Posts
FINALLY reassembled my power steering gear box (1967 Firebird). One Teflon seal was kicking my butt until I pulled out the ring compressor and let it sit compressed overnight. I had to resort to my special words and phrases to complete the rebuild.

The power steering pump rebuild wasn't terribly difficult except getting the pump back into the housing.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Finished up my doors then started working on my engine/transmission mounts.

Mounted up my smaller front (mockup) 195/75R14 tires it dropped the front to my final height

Should be just enough to slide the picker legs under and still be able to roll the truck back once the suspension is loaded.

Played around with engine height. Ended up deciding to go 4.5" under the transmission and around 5" under the back of the oil pan. Once I slap a 1/8" skidplate under the plan it will end up around 5" by the front of the sump and 4.5" at the rear.

Bit steeper angle then I wanted. But it is where it needs to be.

Should line up fairly well once I play with the angles.

Pulled my exhaust and installed the egr block off deletes. All the exhaust bolts came out except for one on the drivers side. I went through 3 failed nuts and might need to buy a extractior to get this thing out.

Slapped up my exhaust to check clearences. I have a issue with the slave.

I tried a "wedge" to angle it closer to the block. While better it is still not enough to keep a cheap factory slave.

Will search for a fix tonight. Part of me is flirting using a pull aircraft "cable clutch linkage" and building my own floor mounted pedal. Whatever I use its going to stay external.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Ok a few hours playing around then I look over my parts list. I knew there was a reason I did not get my clutch yet.

I need a pull style clutch:rolleyes:
One of those things I figured out then forgot I figured it out..

This lets me run any steel sm465 bell I want and more importantly puts the slave on the side of the transmission away from the hot manifolds. Not a issue at this stage but those manifolds may glow with a future engine.

My brakes are from southwest speed.

But speedway makes a floor mounted clutch kit clutch for around $175.
Southwest cost $215 but then my pedals match
or I could splurge and at $232 get a wilwood kit.

Same pedal ratios just up in the air on what to run.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Are those naked?
No lettering or anything?
Yes and no. Towel City buffs the sidewalls smooth of any lettering on the outside, so they look like old school pie crust slicks. All the DOT, date code, etc. are left on the inside. And they write "inside" in white grease pencil on the inside sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I decided today was a good day to tune up the '39 Chev coupe. Wife and I celebrated our 42nd anniversary by driving it to Beaches Wed. night cruise and drags yesterday. It was opening night, and probably 1600+ cars there last night! But on the way home my wife said, "The '39 is kinda stinky at idle?" So figured she is right, and better tune it up.
I put a vacuum gauge on and the bog roller cam was idling at around 9" vacuum. Not a surprise, but maybe it could be better? I tweaked the 4 corner idle air screws on the Quick Fuel 650, and actually got it up to around 9" vacuum. And the idle went up enough I had to turn it back down.
Checked the timing also, and bumped it up about 4 degrees, and it sounds crisper, and still starts easy hot or cold.
Decided to tackle putting the spacer in my mechanical fan to get it closer to the radiator, and had three thicknesses to choose from. Tried the thickest, as it appeared to have plenty of space. But once I got it tightened up, the tips of the blades nicked the fittings for the trans cooler. I don't use them, but they're welded in, so have to clear them. Pulled it back off and went for the next thinner spacer, and bolted it up. All clear, except then it was back just enough to just hit the stainless catch can! So had to tweak those brackets, and rebuild the top bracket to have an offset and give a good 3/8" clearance.
My quick little jobs ended up taking me 3.5 hrs., but the time I finished! Good thing I'm not getting paid to do this stuff!

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
I decided today was a good day to tune up the '39 Chev coupe. Wife and I celebrated our 42nd anniversary by driving it to Beaches Wed. night cruise and drags yesterday. It was opening night, and probably 1600+ cars there last night! But on the way home my wife said, "The '39 is kinda stinky at idle?" So figured she is right, and better tune it up.
I put a vacuum gauge on and the bog roller cam was idling at around 9" vacuum. Not a surprise, but maybe it could be better? I tweaked the 4 corner idle air screws on the Quick Fuel 650, and actually got it up to around 9" vacuum. And the idle went up enough I had to turn it back down.
Checked the timing also, and bumped it up about 4 degrees, and it sounds crisper, and still starts easy hot or cold.
Decided to tackle putting the spacer in my mechanical fan to get it closer to the radiator, and had three thicknesses to choose from. Tried the thickest, as it appeared to have plenty of space. But once I got it tightened up, the tips of the blades nicked the fittings for the trans cooler. I don't use them, but they're welded in, so have to clear them. Pulled it back off and went for the next thinner spacer, and bolted it up. All clear, except then it was back just enough to just hit the stainless catch can! So had to tweak those brackets, and rebuild the top bracket to have an offset and give a good 3/8" clearance.
My quick little jobs ended up taking me 3.5 hrs., but the time I finished! Good thing I'm not getting paid to do this stuff!
You know, I just hate you. ;) When I lived in Vancouver, going to the Beaches Cruise In was my favorite thing to do. In those days it was at the restaurant, before they out grew the space and moved it to the PIR. I had a '57 Olds back then.

Thanks for reminding me of those good times.(y)

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Dropped the steering box last night. What a mess of power steering fluid everywhere.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
We need a "Ah heck" button.……….

John
nah.......a cuff upside the head button. That's when a fella pulls a hose and puts it in the drain tray, but the where he pulled the hose from was still running down the frame....haa.......

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I spent the hours I had reserved for the s10 looking at and negotiating a purchase of a 89 square body C/C one ton pickup that a tow truck will drop off at my house Monday.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
You know, I just hate you. ;) When I lived in Vancouver, going to the Beaches Cruise In was my favorite thing to do. In those days it was at the restaurant, before they out grew the space and moved it to the PIR. I had a '57 Olds back then.

Thanks for reminding me of those good times.(y)

John

View attachment 617469
I heard the count was 2000 cars Wed. night! Not a surprise considering it was opening night, and we had no cruisin's last year at all! Guessing this Wed. will be smaller, but probably still a great turnout with mid 80's weather!

Love that '57 Olds John!!!

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
I heard the count was 2000 cars Wed. night! Not a surprise considering it was opening night, and we had no cruisin's last year at all! Guessing this Wed. will be smaller, but probably still a great turnout with mid 80's weather!

Love that '57 Olds John!!!
Sure wish I could meet you over there Wednesday. 😋

·
Registered
801 Posts
The water pump on my aunt's Nitro that she just bought took a dump on her yesterday. Bearings were shot, it threw the belt and ran hot on her. I found out after she bought it that those 3.7s and 4.7s have a nasty habit of throwing their valve seats when they get hot, so I was worried about it. When I got to where she was I took a quick look and saw the belt all wrapped up on stuff down low, and the pump was pretty hard to turn. Oil was full, and not milky. She said that it never went over 3/4 of the way up on the gauge, so that's good. The temp was back down to about 1/4, so I cranked it back up to see how it sounded. Sounded good, no apparent problems. Had it towed back home and I replaced the water pump and thermostat today. Runs good, temp stays right at 1/2 where it should. Whew...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

35021 - 35040 of 35059 Posts