Hot Rod Forum banner
35241 - 35260 of 35263 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts
I worked on changing the tensioner and belt on CURSE. This of course was on a small country road, miles from nowhere, after it exploded. Seeing chunks of stuff on the road in your rear view mirror is never good.....
Luckily I had both in stock along with some tools.

·
Grand Prix user
5,443 Posts
I worked on changing the tensioner and belt on CURSE. This of course was on a small country road, miles from nowhere, after it exploded. Seeing chunks of stuff on the road in your rear view mirror is never good.....
Luckily I had both in stock along with some tools.
First serpentine belt I ever changed was on the shoulder of I-20. Sometimes theres just no warning I reckon. Give me carbs and V belts or give me death! Hope there wasn't a real bad mess or other damaged stuff. Besides young person opinion of old car. Good on you for having the parts.

I mourn summer each year. Your scenery is getting that fall look. Winter, yuck.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts
No damage to top of hood skin, so any other dents or dings under the hood won't matter.

I hate winter also, almost as much as vent windows, I'd say. It gets almost as cold here as where Mitch lives.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Started on the s10 Yesterday morning at 4am. By sunrise I had the clutch and transmission together. I got a break in the rain around 8 and put the engine/transmission in the truck. Had all the electrical looking nice by 11 and the crossmember up by noon.
Swpped all the sensors and vacume lines by 2 and had the radiatior and all the front acessories on by 4. Had a issue with rerouting the fuel lines but by 10 they were all in and I was good with it.

By midnight all the fluids were topped off and at 2 the shifter driveshaft and all the small stuff was done. Had the hood on by 4 and after checking everything turned the key by 5 am.

Well its idling high. I think one of the new sensors is junk I need to look into it later.
But the real bummer is I did manage to hit that front brake line. So. Yea.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts
Damn, have a nice snooze now....or are you going to work? :unsure:

Reactions: 95 Truck

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
After a week, the radiator I ordered for the granddaughter's Mazda finally arrived today! Had everything else done, and painted, so dropped in the radiator, fans, and brackets. Filled all the fluids, and installed healamps, turn signals, and grille. Started it up, and checked coolant and trans fluids, and calld it done.
Actually looks better under the hood than it has in years. The outside is all straight too, but since I didn't want tp move my '39 outside, I chose to rattle can the gold donor hood and bumper Navy blue. So not as shiny as the rest the car, but at least it's straight, and back to being a clean, good running work vehicle for her.

Going to go pick up a "new" car for my wife tomorrow. Our daughter's coworker wants to sell her late mother's 2014 Subaru Legacy. Almost 8 years old, and only has 8,000 miles on it! An almost new car for a dirt cheap price.
Wife doesn't need a new car, but I told her we couldn't pass it up for the price, and low mileage. Plus I will keep her old Ford Fusion as my daily driver, and stop racking up miles on my '69 Suburban.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts
I got the new bracket that adapts the new tensioner to the custom AC brackets that I made when I did the 5.3 swap. I got a tensioner that's from a 2009 Crown Vic.
A bit more welding to do but I started her up and the tensioner is rock solid. The last one was bouncing quite a bit. Got lucky and the same belt length is working.

Getting ready at work today for the Hogtown Metalshaping Meet. Only a few guys coming but that's OK.

Reactions: cerial

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts
I got the new tensioner bracket made up and a different tensioner form a Crown Vic installed. Tested it today and seems good. Does not even wiggle a bit.

Machine tool Gas Bumper Machine Engineering

Table Automotive tire Wood Gas Flooring

I dropped the one I was running down in there with the new one. The old one was a toy.
It was designed to tighten up a belt that was for only the AC compressor, not the AC, ALT, WP and PS.
Live and learn.......... I don't mind posting my stupidity. Perhaps someone will see it and save them some grief.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Carbon Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wasn't today, but my son-in-law and I worked on the daughter's '02 Solara. I've been chasing an intermittent P0500 speed sensor code for a while. I have a factory service manual for the car, and I ran through the diagnostics a couple of weeks ago. All tests came up clean. Narrowed it down to the speedo itself, or really a specific component on the speedo's circuit board based on other cars with virtually identical problems. I ordered up a replacement 'resonator', and we soldered it in yesterday. So far, so good. Speed sensor feeds a square wave signal into the speedo, and the 'resonator' cleans it up, uses it to drive the speedo and sends it to the ECM. And now we wait to see if the problem comes back.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Today I got to install the starter on stepsons 05 Honda Element, I was not able to to it from the bottom as shown on line, due to jack stand height. I was able to do it from the top once I removed front half of intake manifold. Overall it was not that bad but it did take about 3 hours. It was a learning curve. My guess is I could do it in about 2 hours or less. If I had to do it again.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
All I did was clean up cars. Our daughter called us last week to ask if we wanted to buy a "new car". Her coworker's mother passed away, and had a 2014 Subaru Legacy AWD with just 8,000 miles on it! The asking price was a fraction of a new one, so we jumped on it quickly.
Got it home, and spent a few hours washing, waxing, and spiffing up the interior. Didn't need much, as it still smells new inside. Then I inherited her Ford Fusion, and got all the girly stuff out of it, and repeated the same process on the Ford too.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
237 Posts
Worked on a lot of miscellaneous things on the Thunderbird today. Most notably the ignition switch. Previously, it wouldn't crank with the key, so I rigged up a temporary push button to jump power to the solenoid. Today I took the switch out and apart, put it back together and it works! Well, sort of. It cranks now, but accessory doesn't work anymore. A new switch will be ordered tomorrow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On Friday got to watch a standard Ford vs Chevy moment. A Ford in the left lane towing a camper passed a Chevy also pulling a camper in the right lane Chevy passes Ford, then ford passes Chevy, Chevy passes, Ford goes to pass and drops a valve. Greatest cloud of smoke I have ever seen and Chevy wins again.

35241 - 35260 of 35263 Posts