Hot Rod Forum banner
35261 - 35280 of 35320 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,696 Posts
On Friday got to watch a standard Ford vs Chevy moment. A Ford in the left lane towing a camper passed a Chevy also pulling a camper in the right lane Chevy passes Ford, then ford passes Chevy, Chevy passes, Ford goes to pass and drops a valve. Greatest cloud of smoke I have ever seen and Chevy wins again.
Awesome......some things are still right in the world today..........

·
Slow but willing learner
5,390 Posts
I started chasing electrical gremlins in the Town and Country today. Had no power to the front lft park light or rear lft tail light. Found a missing fuse in the tipm 🤨. The fuse fixed the parl ight but tail light is still out. I am afraid I have a bad TIPM but it is too soon to know for sure. tomorrow is another day.

This is not fun. but I have found a Pinout for the TIPM a few minutes ago, so that will give me something to go on tomorrow.

John

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
After getting my wife into her new car, I inherited her old car. Actually I wanted it as I've always enjoyed driving it, and it's been a very reliable car. But I hated the phony fake "mag wheel" hubcaps Ford put on these Fusions.
So I took them all off today, and after a good washing, cleaning, and scuffing the steel wheels; I painted them with VHT graphite color wheel paint. I happened to have a full set of 16" polished stainless trim rings, so after the paint dried I snapped them on too. Then hit the local custom tire and wheel store and ordered a full set of M12-1.5mm chrome lugnuts.
Once the lugnuts come in I'll replace all the stock metric nuts, and call this good enough. I like the stock wheels painted much better than the plastic fake mag hubcaps.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I piddled out in my garage for a bit yesterday, got a little cleaning up and straightening out done. Gotta make room for more stuff from dad's shop. I also got a little more done on the Chevelle. A little more picking in the wheel well. Last night and this morning my bride and I have been working on an antique chair that has been in her mom's family for a LONG time. We have no idea what the original seat was made of, but it looked like someone had used cotton rope from a hardware store and it was falling apart pretty bad. My bride bought a spool of natural sea grass to use and we got it done. Middle section is still damp in the pic. Her mom is going to be happy to get it back.
Furniture Wood Outdoor furniture Chair Comfort
Furniture Chair Wood Comfort Flooring

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,696 Posts
I piddled out in my garage for a bit yesterday, got a little cleaning up and straightening out done. Gotta make room for more stuff from dad's shop. I also got a little more done on the Chevelle. A little more picking in the wheel well. Last night and this morning my bride and I have been working on an antique chair that has been in her mom's family for a LONG time. We have no idea what the original seat was made of, but it looked like someone had used cotton rope from a hardware store and it was falling apart pretty bad. My bride bought a spool of natural sea grass to use and we got it done. Middle section is still damp in the pic. Her mom is going to be happy to get it back. View attachment 619727 View attachment 619728

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Nice, you guys have some patience. I woulda chucked it out the door after the first 3 rows.... :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Last few days was a few projects, Wednesday night was motor mount on Honda Element that I found while doing starter replacement, found a second mount bad as well, that will be done this coming week. Also had to trouble shoot a no start on 07 Silverado, turned out to be a bad fuse providing power to both ecm’s. Then oil change on daily driver. Last thing to do today is power wash underside of my truck, so I can start working on suspension rebuild

·
Registered
84 Posts
I piddled out in my garage for a bit yesterday, got a little cleaning up and straightening out done. Gotta make room for more stuff from dad's shop. I also got a little more done on the Chevelle. A little more picking in the wheel well. Last night and this morning my bride and I have been working on an antique chair that has been in her mom's family for a LONG time. We have no idea what the original seat was made of, but it looked like someone had used cotton rope from a hardware store and it was falling apart pretty bad. My bride bought a spool of natural sea grass to use and we got it done. Middle section is still damp in the pic. Her mom is going to be happy to get it back. View attachment 619727 View attachment 619728

That's really neat!!! I remember my parents had stool like that and was frayed and falling apart. I had thoughts of redoing it but didn't have clue what type of material it was or where to start. I'm sure it got thrown out years ago.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Played around for a few hours on the 91 s10 and found my vacume leak that was causing the high rpm.

Just a undersized O ring from China. I put the old IAC sensor in and it ran better. Turns out my new MAP sensor is junk also and threw in the old one. The 2.5 is now running strong.

I know better to buy the IAC's with the metal collar. But it does not help the O ring itself was smaller.
Here is a old IAC(off diffrent tbi)next to the new Delphi part and you can easily see the diffrence.
Material property Gas Audio equipment Cable Auto part

·
Grand Prix user
5,471 Posts
Oh yesterday changed oil in the GTP and piddled with it a bit aside from that. She'll have 300K under her belt when I dump that oil but she is thriving on neglect and thats why she's my style. All three Big Races are still at the ready though and the Model J is still loud enuf to cure what ails a weary bodyman. When it turns cold, carbureted sanity preservation sessions get few and far between.

Tonight I scribbled an idea that might catch. 51 F-1 inner fenders made perhaps with old fender sections. The existing panels are coyote ugly but flank a pretty Coyote.

Wood Font Slope Tree Art

You may need to get out your IDJ decoder ring to uncipher my words. Its Sunday nite. :)

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I played with removing the front brake lines on the 91 s10.
The stuff came out easy and I am pretty confident the lines are orgional with 130k on the dash.
The thing stopped great having "new" brakes. But a quick inspection had me heading to the parts store.
The flexible lines are sketchy and junk.
Wood Helmet Automotive exterior Metal Soil

Hand tool Wood Scaled reptile Metal Pliers

But if they are orgional thats a big thumbs up to the orgional quality.

Think the rear line is orgional also. So that will also be replaced.
Wood Fender Gas Water Snout

The truck has new lines from the master all the way through to the distribution blocks on the axle and engine crossmember. But, thats where they stopped and they just let the rest rust.

I had enough fun for tonight. Bending up the nicopp this weekend.

·
Grand Prix user
5,471 Posts
Speaking of sketchy junk... Hi, I'm 'junk and have another couple options, as above. So below is the sketchys. :)

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Hood Aviation

That was the first idea. No real input recieved yet but I bet we end up doing something like this:
Plant Art Font Tree Handwriting

Looks a little like the bed rail angle and boxes the engine in a little tighter than just flat.

I just spent two days mudding the featureless blind flat firewall. That I put in. :rolleyes::whistle:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,696 Posts
Speaking of sketchy junk... Hi, I'm 'junk and have another couple options, as above. So below is the sketchys. :)

View attachment 619846

That was the first idea. No real input recieved yet but I bet we end up doing something like this:
View attachment 619847

Looks a little like the bed rail angle and boxes the engine in a little tighter than just flat.

I just spent two days mudding the featureless blind flat firewall. That I put in. :rolleyes::whistle:
Flat with bends looks "crisp". Seems to mesh nicely with the modern engine even though it goes against the roundy round of the truck. Make any sense?

I've never mudded flat before but I imagine it must be the hardest shape to do.

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Grand Prix user
5,471 Posts
Like your sketches. Wish I could do as good.

Thanks. If you trace it off a desktop monitor, its a snap. As you see, crude shading works if the shape is good. I did try freehand first but that was going to be a mess.

I got some art ability but suck at lots of things. I'm gonna put a vid below that I found this week which helps me get my mind around that and maybe theres insight for you there. I was somewhat enlightened by it.

Flat with bends looks "crisp". Seems to mesh nicely with the modern engine even though it goes against the roundy round of the truck. Make any sense?

I've never mudded flat before but I imagine it must be the hardest shape to do.
I was thinking just in terms of qwik-n-ez-est. Rounded with hidden bolts mmm. But I think you are right, due in part to your eloquent observation. Good man. Now, howzabout flat clear in the engine bay? Body color. Hmm.

Flat firewall? Yeah naw, shes not flat flat like that chick in Smokey and the Bandit but close. Straightedge horizontal, beautiful. Vertical, uh-oh. Somewhere along the way a pond formed in the upper half. I mud fudged, not wanting to start beating on it. Well, slapped some down by the toe board. In the morning I may spray degreaser on it to see with wet shine. But I feel like a shook baby from all the sanding. Stood all day running big air tools on vertical surface yesterday and its a toss-up whether machine or hand sanding is more destructive to me.

Dig this vid, you two and whoever else. 16 minutes. Might offer insight on people you know. I found it right during a text discussion with one who I suspect might be one of the affected few. Providence style. I on the other hand, lean to the hyper side and as you've said before... I see stuff good. Sometimes too. Now you have to watch to decode my comment lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here my ugh of the month, as you may have read over last few post. I have had a Honda Element starter go bad and stand us, then 07 Silverado no start stand us and now I was taking friends 68 GTO with LS1 home for winter storage and while driving the lifter or lifters start ticking bad, so I am waiting on my 3 tow in less then a month

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Here my ugh of the month, as you may have read over last few post. I have had a Honda Element starter go bad and stand us, then 07 Silverado no start stand us and now I was taking friends 68 GTO with LS1 home for winter storage and while driving the lifter or lifters start ticking bad, so I am waiting on my 3 tow in less then a month
At least its not snowing yet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep I totally agree Cerial, I don’t think I have had more then 3 tow truck calls in in my 40 years of playing with cars and now 3 in a month. Hopefully I am done for the next year, My AAA membership only covers 4 a year.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Had one of those stick your foot in your mouth moments with my wife recently. I noticed while washing her new to us Subaru Legacy that the front urethane bumper cover was dented in! What the heck!
So I walk in the house and ask her when she bumped a curb and put a 2" deep dent in the bumper? She looks at me and said, "Didn't you see that was there when we bought the car?" Oops!
So I'm the picky guy who went over the whole car before paying for it, and missed it big time! And then accused her of bumping it!

The weather was gorgeous Sunday, so decided I'd see what it took to remove the cover. Only took me a whopping two minutes to realize I better go check Youtube, and find a video! 22 push pins later, I have the entire front, including the grille, off the car!
I walked it over to where I'd laid out pads I use to stand on at the bench, and turned it upside down on the pads. I cut a 2x4 to shape of the good side, and began whacking the back with it using a 4 lb. sledgehammer to force the dent out. Nothing happening, and after numerous tries I gave up.
Walked into my shop looking for something that might assist me, when I spotted my heat shrink gun! Took it out to the cover, and began applying heat to the inside of the dent, and testing with my 2x4 to see if it was soft. Suddenly it went pop when I pushed on it, and no more dent! It had reversed itself, and looked like the dent was never there!
Slapped it back on and pushed all the pins back in, and done! Maybe this new crap isn't all that bad after all? Sure wouldn't have done that to metal!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only problem I have with plastic is once it is damaged it looses so much rigidity plus it cracks. I can not have something that is cracked dents however, I am just fine with.

35261 - 35280 of 35320 Posts