Hot Rod Forum banner
35301 - 35320 of 35320 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Under that valve cover looks nasty, I have never saw anything that bad other than bent push rods and a blown apart lifter.
Thats just a bit of burnt oil and condensation.
General light caking due to neglect.

I will wipe everything down, install new pushrods, bolts, rockers, and after the 3rd oil change it will be nice and clean.

A tbi 2.5 is a $300 air cleaner to oil pan engine to replace. That and they take a ton of abuse. They dont make enough power and have enough slop to run in some very abusive situations.

I have a 86 2.5 in the barn that I could run if I need to. I wont have to much of a issue finding another 91 longblock. They were put in several s10's and many of those aluminum bodied mail "trucks".

I had a 78 6.6 pontiac where the valve covers were packed with cake. The oil pan weighed around 10lbs when it came off. I never rebuilt that engine or pulled the heads. I just cleaned up the heads and oil pan. There was alot of gasoline involved to loosen and dissolve the oil. Once everything was good enough I filled it with fresh oil and fired the engine.

I brought it up to 180F and let it sit for 10 minutes while watching the oil pressure sit at a solid 30 psi. Then changed the oil and ran it for a week putting around 200 miles on it.
Changed the oil again then changed it every 3000 from there.
Thing never burned any oil or leaked.

I have saved several engines in the same manner. Do a general cleaning/gaskets then a short oil change before doing oil changes every 3000 from then on.
The valve covers are often clean within a year of driving.

Some oils advertise 10,12,or 15k oil changes. I often buy those full synthic or mixed synthetic for 5 quarts from $15-$20. The main reason I change the oil at 3k is not the oil it is because thats when the filter starts to get blocked.
A 2.5 is easy to work on. $25 and 10 minutes I can have the oil changed with 1 to 1.5 quarts left over.

This engine will be clean inside soon enough.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
We finished up the brakes today on the '78 Nova. Gave me fits as I tried to get the front calipers bled, but nothing came out. Finally pulled both bleeders and fluid ran freely! Plugged bleeders, so hit the parts store and got two new ones, and they bled fine.
Then we couldn't get a decent pedal or bleed at the rear! I had bench bled the master, and after rebuilding the wheel cylinders and installing new shoes I just couldn't get any good amount of fluid to flow at the wheel cylinders. I finally had him pump and hold the brake pedal down, and broke the line loose at the master. A spurt of air came out, and then fluid! Headed back to the rear bleeds and they bled just fine!
Buttoned it up, and installed his 4 new tires and wheels, and we headed out for a drive! It ran fantastic, and is actually pretty quick for a little 305 V8 and four speed!
A couple small tasks to do tomorrow, and he's ready to start enjoying it again!

·
Registered
839 Posts
So far this morning I have worked on getting the fridge trim for the camper finished. I got the pieces planed down to a more respectable thickness, sanded, and another coat of paint. I tinkered on the 57 a little, too. The pass side dome light switch has been causing some issues over the years, so I finally removed the temporary fix and installed a more permanent fix. The door was not pushing the plunger in far enough to turn the light off consistently, so I had been using some small pieces of self adhesive foam to make it work. I removed the foam from the door and installed a plastic spacer behind the switch to space it out a little. I ended up having to pull the kick panel out to retrieve the live wire that got unplugged when I pulled the switch out too far, but all is well now. Works like it should. These doors were reskinned and had the bottom of the inner door replaced at the same time, and on a work table. Not on the car. This is just a small part of that lesson...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Finished up my buddy's Nova by changing out the shifter arm, and installing a new boot. He had someone swap out the factory shifter for a Hurst Competition Plus, and the guy butchered the floor! So I couldn't get all the screws in the new Hurst oversized boot, and I'll need to address that later.
I'm going to make up a sheet metal cover that will support the new boot, and adapt the cover to fit his tunnel, and close in the gaps. His car needs new carpet kit, so we'll wait until he gets that, and then build and weld in the sheet metal to make the shifter boot a clean, sealed base to screw to.
But he's driving it now, and can enjoy it again on days when the weather permits this winter!

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,696 Posts
So far this morning I have worked on getting the fridge trim for the camper finished. I got the pieces planed down to a more respectable thickness, sanded, and another coat of paint. I tinkered on the 57 a little, too. The pass side dome light switch has been causing some issues over the years, so I finally removed the temporary fix and installed a more permanent fix. The door was not pushing the plunger in far enough to turn the light off consistently, so I had been using some small pieces of self adhesive foam to make it work. I removed the foam from the door and installed a plastic spacer behind the switch to space it out a little. I ended up having to pull the kick panel out to retrieve the live wire that got unplugged when I pulled the switch out too far, but all is well now. Works like it should. These doors were reskinned and had the bottom of the inner door replaced at the same time, and on a work table. Not on the car. This is just a small part of that lesson...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
I siliconed a dime to my door....or was that a nickel?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I goofed off. The weather was fairly cold at mid 40's, but a bluebird clear sky! So I went out to the back shop and fired up my '39 Chev coupe, just to run it until it got to temperature. Then planned to do the same with my '37 Austin sedan. But after firing it up, I moved a couple cars and told my wife I was going to run some errands. Stopped to fill the tank, and then drove around picking things up for a couple more hours.
It was a great day, and the Austin was running well in the cool air!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Thanks for that. The old Austin certainly looks nice.
Thanks! I can't believe it's been 11 years since I built it now? It's been a very fun car to build, and drive. Way more power than a tiny little 2200 lb. car needs, but tat's part of the fun.
This was the day back in 2010 when I first saw it and brought it home:

And this was it's first reincarnation 6 months later:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I prefer the look of the Austin to the Anglia of that period and later ones. That style of front end did come out over here till 39, must have been export only as our 37s had a the old style flatter front end.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I prefer the look of the Austin to the Anglia of that period and later ones. That style of front end did come out over here till 39, must have been export only as our 37s had a the old style flatter front end.
Yes, I've been told by a few British friends that the body and grille on my Austin appear to look like early 40's they had in England. My car was left hand drive, and imported originally to Canada. So not sure how it ended up being titled as 1937? But I have a friend who owns what appears to be a left hand drive 1948 A40, and his title states it's a 1941! Which as you know should look like my car's body style.
My car came out of a local automobile museum where it was scheduled to be restored. But the museum decided to auction off about 300 cars needing restoration, and mine was one of those. I bought it from a guy who got it at the auction, and just wanted to try and turn a profit. Unfortunately for him he paid too much, and finally lowered it to a price well below what he paid and I bought it.
I get people constantly calling my Austin an Anglia. Of course most here see far more Anglias and assume mine is either an Anglia, or a Prefect. I finally had the pinstriper who did my gold pinstriping paint, "Not an Anglia" above the trunk handle in letters about 3/4" tall. That gets a lot of chuckles from those looking at it, and discussing Anglias, and then seeing that on the body! Not sure why they miss the Austin grille emblem, or the Austin metal plate on my license plate frame?

·
Grand Prix user
5,471 Posts
I only mostly know anything about stuff made during my life but I read hot rod the first half. British is all I'd guess. If it makes you feel better, the vast majority cannot identify a '69 Grand Prix.

Finished mud on the F-1 job and its all primed. Getting started on making those inner fenders. Well, I'll use the existing top edges so not making the whole things. Thinking they will be one piece with just that to weld. Gonna put a little body mount type bushing on a frame bracket at rear. Fab beats sanding but I been all morning just getting bolts in all of the front clip.

Equally blah blah blah is the fact that I have now driven my daily car over 100,000 miles. Almost entirely just getting to and from work. Thats catching up to the loud car fast. But I got the GTP 7 or 8 years ago with 196K on it and it has 296 now. Still rips, still whines about it. Good car. FWD POS, but a noble mount.

Random recent art below, as an obligatory periodic color injection. Feels like a naked post without a pic.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel Car

·
Grand Prix user
5,471 Posts
Replaced a wheel cylinder on the '69 yesterday. Fitting stuck to brake line only came loose after buying a new line. Had made an attempt weeks ago but stopped there. This time the drum was stuck. Hard. Deep groove in drum around stud hole, no explanation found. Had to chop off stud and grind drum around hole until it came loose. Typical IDJ... no gains possible, loss management is all I can muster. Nobody around to help bleed brakes and can't find my hand MityVac. It was used up anyway. But I am a step closer to a simple objective. No idea what caused the drum problem. Looked like I had run a lug nut down on the drum with no wheel on but I wouldn't do that and nobody else touches the car. Thats just how it goes when I try.

I should get an inner fender going today on that truck at work. Thinking I'm done with it after that and have to put a rusty junkyard quarter and door on a 300ZX. Yuck.

35301 - 35320 of 35320 Posts