Hot Rod Forum banner
35661 - 35680 of 35686 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Been talking on pirate about the best methoud to weld my heims. The guys over there slapped me around a bit and pointed out something I missed.

This is bad. Tie rod would not magically compress and extend as the IFS cycles in a arch. Anytime my springs would go down the thing would toe out.
Not good:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

How I orgionally thought this up. This works.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire Crankset

Getting the title in my name for the jeep tomorrow(today actually) and will pick up a chop saw and blade to cut the tubing for the heims on the 94.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Put a driveshaft in the 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (SJ) this morning, put the title in my name, gave it a healthy wash, then made a video showing it runs, drives, etc to help in selling the thing. 87 AMC so it still had a carburatior, V belts, and Ford stuff mixed with GM stuff with that classic 60's body style. Video is of course horrible and not edited in any way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Replaced the rear windows on the ITW work truck, started the intake for the pile( I did not take any photos sadly).
Boat Plant Hood Water Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I also found these tires that probably wish they were still at the junkyard.
Tire Shoe Wheel Automotive tire Tread

Did a successful burnout therapy session at the parts store, I am sure the owner will be real happy about it.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car

Automotive lighting Sky Street light Cloud Building

I smoked out everything for blocks. There is a quick run down on what idiocy I have been up to.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Lots of measuring to get my toe dang near perfect then even more measuring to make sure my pitman was centered between the locks. I have 1/2" of exposed threads per side and around 1 1/4 threads inside the bung per side. Lots of room for adjustment.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Double checked everything again before putting the bungs in the freezer. Cut my .25 wall tubing. Chamfered it and reamed the inside slightly. Pulled the bungs out of the freezer and they slid right into the tubes without hammering.

Bumper Office supplies Cylinder Missile Automotive tire

I need to set up the welder by burning a piece of the extra .25 wall tube looking on the inside for that bright orange. Then I am going to weld 1/3 of each side, let it cool for a hour, another 1/3, wait another hour, then the final third, wait two hours then come back and go around a second time(same deal) starting and stopping in the middle of the lower weld.

Not doing that tonight. That will be this weekend.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I pull, a local junkyard did an all you can carry for $75, so I got some stuff. I have now got a system to be able to change the front end panels in just a few minutes. This way the truck can have 2 looks, got a rusted cowl and fenders from a b2600i which have the wide body fenders. The passenger fender looks to be a bit more dent side to me though. I also have the b2600i hood I will find something to do with it once I get the blower mounted next week end hopefully. Also got a small push bar I might put on it. Going to order headers for it, I am now just going to adjust the budget, 300 for the engine. And junkyard parts for the rest of it. The motor I was going to put in, a 1970s 350ci chevy, the owner does not want to sell anymore. I will probably go outside the budget giving the motor a much needed refresh.

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive parking light Hood Car Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
932 Posts
Took the cool car to the local cruise in on Wednesday evening. I've got to take it back to the house exhaust shop. Not enough room over the axle. I felt a bump on my way out so I pulled it back up on the lift when I got home. Busted some part of the brake line on the axle. Brake fluid dripping off the axle housing and onto the floor. I had talked to the exhaust guy about moving the tab and the tee over when I replaced the lines to make room for the original bump stops. Forced my hand on this. Have to fix that before I can take it back to have the pipes tweaked. Always something. Those lines and a couple up front under the hood were going to be my winter project. New rear hose and T block on order.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I was at the junkyard I did get a new valve cover and polished it up and painted it to match the rocker arms. Shot some flat black paint on the exhaust heat shield along with gold on the bolts. I have a new valve cover gasket coming tomorrow. It will be nice not having to smell burning oil on my way to work.
Wood Metal Hardwood Fashion accessory Rectangle

Hood Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Water Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
932 Posts
After dealing with getting a couple of replacement tires for the hooptie van I got to work on the cool car. I dropped the sway bar down to get access to the brake line bracket. Chiseled that off and ground it smooth. Fabbed up a new bracket for the tee on the poor man's milling machine. (Drill press, clamp, and carbide Burr bit). Got it located, and tacked in place. I used a section of electrical wire as a template for the brake line on the pass side. Next up will be the driver side brake line. Tomorrow. My neck is pretty tight tonight.
Light Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust Vehicle brake
Wood Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive tire Flooring
Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fixed the dailies valve cover leak and I left the hood off the truck because I hate wrenching on rigs with a hood. They get in the way. Anyway a lot of folks gathered around it at the gas station when I just went in for a drink. I will do the intake a flat black here soon, about time I clean the engine bay up. About 30 minutes of driving a coolant bypass hose blew and started the loop of fix one thing and another thing breaks over again. While fixing the split hose I went and fixed the final hose that I had not replaced the one that I had to take the top part of the intake off. The next few days I will put to the daily.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Tore out my old steering as I am using a rack. Getting everything else done and will do the steering last.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Moved onto the wheel tubs which are are going to be a bit tricky as they are attached to the door and close against the floor and frame.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

The doors open 90 degrees to allow easy entry despite the tubs. Note the true dual exhaust will mount on the outside of the frame rail. You can see I step on the tire and lean forward to get in.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Played around with cardboard until I found a rough shape I liked.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am only going to use that filter if I am going to race or want that tiny bit of top end power. I will be getting a new oem style filter hear soon. The reason is because these cone filters don't do anything to keep dust out and they really only help in the higher rpm.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, I'm a little disgusted right now. I'm having to do some brake work on the '57, and the rear brake hose I ordered has me a little bit perturbed, I guess you could say. I ordered an AC Delco Professional brake hose, because, well, AC Delco. What I received is a Sunsong hose with an AC Delco part number in an AC Delco box. It's printed right there on the hose itself: DOT SUNSONG SAE J1401 1/8 HL 2021.08.25. The Sunsong part is $6.12 and carries a 1 year warranty. The AC Delco part is $16.26, and carries a 2 year warranty. It seems that I just paid ten bucks for a box that will go in the burn barrel and an extra year on the warranty. It's sad when the box costs more than the part that comes in it. I've never really looked into SUNSONG, so I really don't know anything about their quality. I'll do some digging and see if it might be worth the hassle to exchange it. I've never had a problem with things that I order from Rock Auto, and I know that this isn't their fault, but I'm still disgusted. I should have bought the Raybestos part for $14.82. It at least has a lifetime warranty.

At any rate, I have started on the driver side line on the axle. I have one on there that goes from point A to point B, but I'm not happy with it. I don't like the way it looks.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
One of those alot of checking and measuring with not much to show for it days.

I got a backing plate installed for the door to press against once it is closed. Lots of clean up and a second pass of tacks then will do the other side.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Metal

I was playing with the 78 c-161 wheelhorse on and off today. Thing has a govener issue and is backfiring through the carb so maybe a valve.

Hood Electronic instrument Gas Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior

The briggs govener involves dang near a full rebuild to fix. It is a opposed engine from 2000 that they dont make parts for anymore. I been flirting with repowering this with a harbor freight setup. No starter, tank on engine simple. But also dragging my feet looking for a deal.

I found a honda tonight for a few hundred with a new clutch on it. The clutch is worth a few hundred and the engine runs good. Worst case the still good wheelhorse clutch gets used.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Rim

35661 - 35680 of 35686 Posts