Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

2433809 35753
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.
Reactions: drive til its broke
35701 - 35720 of 35754 Posts

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Played in the garage on the 91 metro.

Seat mechanism needs to be realigned. Its really messed up and to fix it right the seat needs to come out. Thing has 3 cams and front is lower then it should be so the seat needs to tilt further back to allow rear cam to move back further back so the middle one can go down. Fing fun playing with this.
Hood Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Plastic lights for this pile are a PITA to find and of course will yellow. So I am switching to sealed beams I can find anywhere. The replacements showed up today.

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car

This thing has 4 screws that hold that black trim piece on above and below the headlight to make replacing the light a pain.
Motor vehicle Gas Font Machine Engineering

But there are 4 bolts that hold the entire assembly in.

1 of those bolts is going to be a pita it is tucked up inside the fender and. So screw that one.

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light

I remove the 2 marker light screws, pull the marker and headlight plugs, remove 3 nuts and the entire assembly comes out to remove those hard to reach lower screws without me laying on my back once.
Yea 3/4 bolts will be just fime with me.

· Registered
1,741 Posts
First step of the rock chip rust repair on the hood of my truck. Gouged it out to clean metal, cleaned, primed and metal glaze below this. There are a couple of other spots to fix, but this one is the only that broke through to the metal and started rusting. First coat of SPI epoxy, next coat in a few minutes. Final repair probably not until spring as I want to paint the camper shell and my mirrors too.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Finally have everything here to do my narrow width to standard width 14 bolt axle swap on the 91 R30.

Cut off some wide bump stops and prepped the standard 14 bolt to be welded.

Automotive tire Tread Gas Automotive wheel system Fender

These U bolts were rusted bad so out came the saw saw.

Wood Gas Auto part Metal Machine

I needed to use the 10tpi narrow morse blades to fit next to the backing plate.

The blue blade is my go to for cutting up frames or thick steel. Worth every penny.
Font Wood Line Asphalt Bumper

Saving the slightly dangerous part for tomorrow. I need to jack up the frame enough and position my stands on the front of the leaf spring perch . Then I can wheel the axle out under the dot style bumper. Before anyone asks. The 14 bolt with the drums etc weighs over 500lbs so rolling it across the shop floor vs dragging it is going to make things much easier.

I need to wheel out the narrow and move it out back for spare parts/cores after taking measurments/marking the narrow perch spacing from the side of the differential carrier.

Position the standard width making sure to maintain the old 14 bolts pinion angle.

Let weight on the standard width and after checking the pinion again tack the perches.

Wheel out the standard for final welding.

Then finally get the axle in its new home and torque down my new U bolts and (expensive) upper/lower plate kit. The old plate kit is still in good condition. But being a 91 its a good idea to replace them and have the old ones as spares.

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Fought getting all the lugnuts broke loose. 6' of prybar and questioning if my breaker was going to snap a couple of times. But they came off eventually. (Strike 1)

Then the outer wheels needed to come off and inner wheel flipped around so that the tires would clear the bumper drop thing.

Drivers wheel a came off easily enough. But the passenger inner was stuck stuck. 2 hours of pentrating, cleaning, slide hammering, prying, repete and it finally broke free. Took a shot before cleaning the inside. (Strike 2)

Brown Water Wood Snout Metal

Put the tires on snugged down some lugs then jacked up the axle. Put the stands in place and lowered the axle.

Passenger side is good.
Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Automotive wheel system Artifact

Freaking drivers side leaf pack did not stay compressed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Tire

I can compress it slightly against the frame with ratchet straps to swap axles. But thats the 3rd strike and I am done for the night.

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Yea they were cut at some point. Just a huge PITA to do the breaks with the narrow axle and leafpack so its worth the cost and headache to go standard.
The entire truck needs to be gone through.

Frame is tough and rated for towing, cab has been fixed wrong(they slapped repair panels over rust and welded :rolleyes: ), 5.7 tbi runs ok but will eventually be replaced with a 5.3, needs a new fuel system installed, and so on.

I paid $1000 for the thing initally (easily half that in the newer tires). Plan on putting "just" another $1500-2000(windshield) into mostly parts to have a squarebody towpig to pull/partout cars and trucks starting in the summer. I have always loved doing it. I just never had the room to do it right. I bought a place to do it right a few years ago and have slowly(loan free) been building everything towards my goal.

Some peoples idea of retirement is to travel or junk.
My idea is to tear apart cars selling parts and having toys. This is my 3rd or 4th C/R30 square. Not as nice as a 80k diesel with heated seats. But stupid strong and easy to work on when needed.

Jumping around between 3 projects and maintaining 2 drivers currently. Basically work on one while waiting for parts for the other. Lots of work to do. But I have realistic goals. Working on my moneypit hotrod off and on. But thats on the back burner for a bit while the weather in the unheated barn is nice.

· Registered
27 Posts
Making some sparks, I have moved the steering column, for better angle inside, and actually get to use the tilt wheel. With the new crate engine going in I am also installing headers. We ended up going over the top, moved the vertical shaft support forward, powder coated the steering shafts, and both sets of motor mounts, and ground off all the old weld. Some other odds and ends productive day.

Attachments

· Registered
219 Posts
Have not done much other than work. But here is what I have done:
Went over a bunch of options for the scrap pile, the official plan is Mustand II front end, clutch posi rear end out back. Will stretch the pile 2 inches just behind the front fenders to keep out of the fire wall. And move the cab back another 2 inches. 28x10 inch slicks out back and donut rims with half decent tires. 6 speed tremec. 10 point cage, and I will also twist the bed to give the rear passenger side corner an inch lift.
Goal make it barely pass tech.

Because winter is around the corner I pulled the shell off the pile and threw it on the daily. Sortened it the not so proper way and threw some flat black on it. I will do a bit more but for now it will work.

Soon I will likely be going and picking up the LS2.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Plant

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Played around with the tow pig.

Turns out a 91 narrow 14 bolt and a 98 standard width 14 bolt have totally diffrent shock positions. Going to need to fabricate something later to fix that issue.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

I have the axle all ready to weld. Everythings perfect (double checked) and the things sitting with full weight on the axle. I just need to get groceries (need pre covid hours) and dont feel like welding when its 40 out. Save it for 60+ on Saturday.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Gas

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Nice sunny 60 degree day that I could not waste. Shut everything off by 8 and was ready to play by 1.

Moved the welder, welded up the perches, shot some paint on them, and installed the driveshaft with the new hardware.

Finished up earlier then I planned and did some yard work before cleaning up for work.

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Played with the metro today. I fixed a bad sensor pigtail, replaced the pcv, air filter, cleaned out the pcv hoses, and started it up the thing sounds mean for a 1.0.

Tore out my passenger seat fighting 3of the 4 rounded bolts(PO). But they came out then played around with the seat trying to fix the mechanism. Turns out I and missing 3 pieces of the mechanism that is all rivited together. So yea, another ebay item is headed my way. Had time to kill so I ripped out the 90's mazda cd player and replaced it with a no name $35 radio that has bluetooth so I can listen to spotify. Its a soft top. I am not locking this thing and having someone taking a knife to the top or busting out my side glass for anything that they could pawn. $35 radio will be enough to listen to radio or use the Bluetooth.

Still have some time to kill so I ran a 10 gauge wire through a grommet. I will use that wire to pull through a positive and negative 10 gauge wires and have a lighter hidden behind the radio for connecting a heated seat thing to. The lighter wire is fused, the heated seat (cover) is also fused.

Waiting on parts that should all arrive around the 15th. I have a soft goal to have everything safe, running, and legal by Thanksgiving. Going to be a bit close. But still a realistic goal.

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Put 250 miles on the old s10 tonight picking up parts for the metro vert.

The metro currently has 3 different 13" rims on it now with new tires a upgrade from the 12" stock ones.
But 13" tires are still a pain to find and call me strange I want rims that match at least on the front.

I picked up some steel 14" rims with good tires to use as winter tires. I will run them till December when it actually starts to snow before replacing the like new eco tires with some snow tires.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

I also scored a deal on 4 Mustang TRX rims in hopes I may find some tires. They would look cool on the metro(hub and bolt pattern match) with some new rubber. Or I may just hang onto them and double my cash later. The tires all hold air which means the rims are good. But obviously I am not going to run the tires.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Played with the metro. Tore out the drivers seat and vacumed the floor.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior

Water Liquid Fluid Cylinder Composite material

Motor vehicle Hood Light Vehicle Car

Installed working seatbelts and new 10.9 seat hardware. Installed the working passenger seat mechanism and installed that seat. Also installed a shifter off amazon.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Put on the 14" wheels the tires. All 4 match now. They are just a bit big and rub at complete full lock. Just by 1/8" or so. But still they rub. A smaller tire will be ran eventually.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

I fixed a group of wires that was crushed by the plastic headlight being forced back, installed winter wipers, then started fitting my sealed beam headlights.

Lots of back and forth fitting these headlights to have them tight with the hood(aero). I have them where they need to be. Just need to swap in my new xtravisions add spacers then tighten everything down.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Grille

· Registered
4,855 Posts
The used tires I picked up were just a bit to big and they rubbed at full lock.
Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

Threw some new winter rubber on the steel winter rims.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Installed some heated seat things then threw some cheap seat covers over the seat. Its a driver .

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Car seat cover

The controls just sit behind the center council out of sight when I dont need them but still easy to grab.
Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Carbon

The electrical in this is cheap so I am running an additional fused lighter that runs directly to the battery to run the heated seats as well as the wire for radio memory. They shutoff after 45 minutes. Still need to clean that up.

The plastic lights on this are a PITA to find($80-250) so I am switching to the cheap easy to find sealed beam setup.
Wired up the sealed beam plugs. Then installed some new H4666 😈 Xtravisions(xtravisions are worth every penny) . Also some new side markers that came with new pigtail plugs and bulbs off rock.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

When installing the steel rims to check the rims would fit I also checked the bearings and brakes.

The front brakes are dragging a bit. Still lots of pad left. But pads are stupid cheap so I am just replacing them. Guessing the dragging is either bent/stuck pins or soft lines. I picked up new pads, pins, boots, and lines off rock with the last of it hitting my door tonight. I will do some new calipers, rotors, pads, install new bearings, seals when I do the cv shafts(preventive). Make a nice weekend summer project. But for now I am more then ready to drive this pile.

Letting things soak then playing with the brakes in the early morning. NO leaks at all on this pile. I just soak all my bolts with pentrating lubricant when first getting a car and it can make it look like things like the oil pan shown is leaking.
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

35701 - 35720 of 35754 Posts