Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
I nominate the ford 255 V8, hollow crankshaft, and 119hp stock then they stuck it in my thunderbird :( and the 2.3L I4 is useless.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
They forgot to mention the first Chevy V-8's.............. No boys and girls, put away the tar and feathers, I'm not bad mouthing the '55 small block Chevy!!!! They built a V-8 from 1917 to 1919 and it was an absolute disaster. It was SO bad it took 'em almost 40 years to get up the nerve to try again. BUT it was worth the wait.

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
Hyundia Pony and Stellar 4 cylinder.............made in 84-87......still used points, heads cracked................piece of crap.

The Vega motors also stunk............the cylinder inserts dropped down into the aluminum block causing the head gaskets not to seal anymore. A friends car did this after 29000 miles. I fixed it with a big flat bastard file across the block....

and, you thought that I was gonna say....HEMI

·
Registered
290 Posts
Engines

The GM HT4100. Came with a warning label explaining coolant leaks and using stop leak tabs in it. And not to forget the first few North Star engines with their bottom end oil leak that required you to pull the engine to fix it.

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
poncho62 said:
Hyundia Pony and Stellar 4 cylinder.............made in 84-87......still used points, heads cracked................piece of crap.
HEY! my first car was an 87 hyundai stellar! hands down the best car I've ever owned and the only one I regret selling. Had it a little less than a year, gave it fresh plugs and filters and drove the snot out of it had 387 000 km on it when I sold it. Found it a few years later in an autowrecker with 435 000 km on it and it was there because it was t-boned. Also experienced an 85 pony they are crap! different engine from the stellar and practically had to push it up hills so no arguments there...

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Wow, that is a great list of disasters. Still I think the Caddy 8-6-4 has to be the poster child for the "Just because you have an ME degree, it doesn't mean you can't be a consummate imbecile" club.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
They forgot to put the Pontiac 301, Ford 255, the early Ford 3.8 and I would have put the Chevy 307 on their list.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
coldknock said:
Oldsmobile 350 diesel.

Larry

convert one back to gas, put a lightweight crank in it, and you have a wicked base for a racing engine. The reinforced block makes it capable of withstanfding abuse

in stock form, pos

·
Registered
13 Posts
onebadmerc said:
They forgot to put the Pontiac 301, Ford 255, the early Ford 3.8 and I would have put the Chevy 307 on their list.
The 307 wasn't that bad man. Definately not bad enough to warrant being on the worst engines ever list.

My nova had a 307, ran fine....blew a little smoke and whatnot but was and probably still is reliable. The only reason I got rid of it was simply the fact that I had cheap access to a 350 and wanted a bit more power and an easier time getting aftermarket parts.

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
My dad has a caddy with the
CADILLAC V8-6-4

you can diasable the "6-4" part and make it run really nice as an "8"

How about the 3cyl engines they stuck in the first generation chevy sprint?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
crazygutgut said:

My wife had one of those in her '88 Sprint. It was bad, but the 267 Chevy was a lot worse. I'm also with Lindsey on the 307 deal. Not bad engines, just down on power compared to 350s and decently maintained 305s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gotta say that 8-6-4 engine was a bad thing for it's time. They just could not get the thing to know how many cylinders it needed.

NOTICE********** No Mopar engines on the list********** Bow down to mother Mopar infidels!

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts

We had a turbo sprint at a Buy Here-Pay Here lot I worked at.It was our parts truck,We took a Sawzall and hacked the roof off.I pulled out of the lot one day and a cop hit me up on the roof being removed by cavemen.We junked it after that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They put the little 2.2 in there just to be equal opportunity, but even then they had to say it was nice in the shelby and daytona.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When ever I was asked for advise on a used or new car my answer was. "Never buy any American car with the following"

1- 4 banger engine
2- Diesel engine
3- Any engine in production less then 2-model years
4- Turbo engine

Always stick with a V6 or V8

·
Registered
13 Posts
In response to the "4banger" statement.
4 cylinder american engines aren't that bad....a woman I work with has a 95 cavalier with over 200,000 on it and it is still running strong.

Granted, there are bad engines but most of it comes down to how they are cared for.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts