Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, I just got in from working on putting new speakers in the Caprice. The rear 6x9's went in perfect, but the front dash 4x6's did not. The huge magnet hits the hard plastic duct that goes to the air vent. This problem occurs on both the driver and passenger side. What do you think of this solution: use a heat gun to get the duct hot enough that I can push the area thats to high down, I need about a 1/2 inch more depth. Do you think that plan will work?

To be fair the place I bought them, Crutchfeild, said there were no quality aftermarket speakers that would fit in the front. I had my mind made up I would by the Infinitys and told the guy send me them anyway, I'll make them fit. I did hook them all up and had an Areosmith cd blasting, the sound quality is unreal, but for $250 for the rears and $150 for the fronts it should.

Thanks

Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Heat gun works great, just remember to make lots of clearance so the speaker doesn't rub anywhere.

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
The worst it can do is drop the CFM airflow of your blower motor a bit, i doubt it will be noticeable. Which duct is it hitting? the defroster or dashboard outlets?

Just reread your original post, if you block off a couple of dash vents, it will just make the unblocked ones blow harder. Same as if you shut the vents on the dash. Path of least resistance....

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are stand offs?

Fat50 I know, but this in the one vent that I aim at my steering hand when I'm driving in cold weather. Can't sacrifice it.

·
129 Posts
If ya dont mind hacking in to it, you could cut that section out and reroute it with some flexable duct of about the same size? Or close the vents that you cant feel (passager side), would bring the CFM back up to the resricted ones. Good luck getting it out if you need to remove it, they are one of the nastiest parts to get out from under the dash.

C

·
129 Posts
Heres a panel duct from a project we are working on, Cant say what it goes to but, it is a future GM product. Our requirements are to keep a certain amount of cross-section (like 9 square inches). We'll regularly run into situations where we have to go under the target, due to steering column, brake pedal, etc. It usually gets the okay from the GM engineer, so collapsing your duct a 1/2" shouldn't effect flow too much.

C

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or a half inch sheet of MDF or something and you could make the spacers for cheap too.

Home Depot should have some scrap laying around that they will sell/give to you.

Just a thought. Not sure if it will work for your job though.

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't use the stand offs, I don't have enough clearance between the speaker top and the dash board top.

Fat50 that picture you have is pretty close to what my set up looks like, and I think I can get away with some flexible duct.

All the speakers are going back, I took out the Areosmith cd out and put in a Linkin Park cd to see how the bass sounded. My old speakers have better bass then these new ones, I was mad, the Infinitys performed very poorly. I drove to a local car stereo place that has an excellent reputation, I walked in and the owner was in there. He asked if he could help me, I asked him what he thought of Infinity speakers, he basically told me he thought they were junk. I told him what I bought and what I thought about them, he took a look at them, listened to them. He said to send them back, he showed me some Kenwoods, they cost 1/2 the price I paid and he claims will sound excellent. He asked me to come back tomorrow and talk to his guy who is the speaker expert. I took the Infinitys out and put the old ones back in, well see how everything goes tomorrow.

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
Are you running the stock radio- what year is your caprice

·
At a loss for words
364 Posts
Hmmm...... I have Infinity separates (mid-bass and tweeters) in the front of my car and they sound great. Probably would sound even better if I put an amp to them, but I don't want to mess around with them anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts