Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 81 datsun 4x4 that has a 350 in it. Had to use block hugger headers to get it to fit. Any way when i start the truck and let it run for a while wheater idling are driving it around the yard shaking it out. Once i kill it the starter just drags. I can let it set for a while and starts right up. I swaped out the starter with a spare i had still the same and swaped out my optama battery with my trailer winch batter. Same thing. Today I would not do anything turn the key and nothing. Let it set for a while and it was happy. So Im thinking the header is heating it up. So I was thinking of eather a starter warp are header warp. Is this a posable solotion are am I barking up the worng tree? While I would love one of the small hight tq starters thats ust not in the buget at this time.

skeeter

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
The header on my cutlass rode on the starter. How I fixed the problem was by adding grounds. I ran one from the battery to the block, from the block to the frame, from the firewall to the intake. The result was no more hot starts, brighter headlights, a steady amp gauge that didn`t dance around anymore.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
nskeeter99 said:
I have an 81 datsun 4x4 that has a 350 in it. Had to use block hugger headers to get it to fit. Any way when i start the truck and let it run for a while wheater idling are driving it around the yard shaking it out. Once i kill it the starter just drags. I can let it set for a while and starts right up. I swaped out the starter with a spare i had still the same and swaped out my optama battery with my trailer winch batter. Same thing. Today I would not do anything turn the key and nothing. Let it set for a while and it was happy. So Im thinking the header is heating it up. So I was thinking of eather a starter warp are header warp. Is this a posable solotion are am I barking up the worng tree? While I would love one of the small hight tq starters thats ust not in the buget at this time.

skeeter
Use the late model mini starter and put a sheet metal heat shield between the header and starter. This will protect the stater from the heat and will not result in overheating header tubes as happens with wrap. The smaller 1990's style mini starter GM went to buys some space from the headers and is a whole lot easier to R&R in tight installations like your Datsun.

Bogie

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some 2 gage cables. I took advantage of the optima and rand grounds from the top post and side most. However they are a couple of years old and have been exposed to the sun a good bit so I plan to replace them this week end. I'm not sure what starter I have but it is tiny compared to the one on my 95 silverodo. I don't understand what a ford type solenoid would work. How would you hook that up. So what just run the hot wire to the for solenoid then the starter and run the starter wire to it instead of the starter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.