Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've figured it out :)

91 miata, track car. I want flat black, ala westcoastchoppers 54 or the ferrari. I want the finish to last.

I've sprayed some of SPI's black epoxy, but I'm to inconsistant to get a flat finish out of it. Some parts of glossy, some are flat, some inbetween. Very uneven, and I'm sure it's due to the fact that I've never painted anything before!

The existing paint on the car is in great condition, I've sanded through the clear into the origional paint. My idea is to spot some 2K primer and block sand the entire car, and then come back with some black BC. Origionally I wanted to do the entire car with the SPI epoxy, but the hood and roof that I have sprayed have come out like crap due to my inexperiance. Will the BC show up all uneven like this? I spoke to Barry on the phone about hte epoxy, and it's def due to my technique. I spray some on to dry, other parts to wet.

My question is, how do I spray the BC? Very wet, very dry, somewhere in between? What happens if the base isn't "even", similar to my epoxy problem? If I understand how painting works correctly, I cannot really sand the BC.

Also, what about orange peel or trash in the clear? Since it's going to be flattened, will it show up? And if it does I can't exactly buff it out, so what do I do?

Keep in mind the goal is to have a durable finish, matte black.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Spraying a flat color even can be challenging. Back in the "old days" with acrylic enamel or lacquer it was so easy. But the newer urethanes "want" to stay glossy so bad they can be tough. The base coat without any clear on it is not going to be very durable.

I am thinking, as I remember Barry suggested on a post to spray flattened clear right over the epoxy primer. But you could also spray a base coat over the epoxy (or what you have on other parts of the car) and then spray a flattened clear. The flattened clear is much easier to spray out on a large area and end up uniform in my opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, but can I sand the clear if I have problems with it?

What about the base? I've sprayed epoxy on a few panels, and so far, I can't get a very even uniform finish. If the base looks like this, will it "smooth out" after the flattened clear is applied?

Again, if I get a orange peel in the flattened clear, how can I sand/buff this out but keep the clear flat?

·
Registered
717 Posts
since you are doing a solid color with no metallic and pearl then when you put the clear over it everything will even out. problem is you cant wetsand and buff it out because you will make it glossy. a flat finish can be buffed to a shine!! nice thing is you wont notice orange peel nearly as bad because there is no gloss.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
today...

I wimped out. Lol. I painted the engine bay with centurai (sp?) dupont single stage....came out looking damn good. For the price the red was (39$ a quart), I'm just going to finish out the car in red now I suspect. I was hesitant, because the last red I looked at was 98$ per quart! I'll bc/cc the car red, the pillars and hard top gloss black.

One day I'll have a flat black car, but right now I'm not sure that I'm capable of spraying the clear flaw free, especially in my make shift paintbooth.

Thanks for the help though guys, I'll post pics of my first paint job ever here in the next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.