Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these in our 72 Stake truck at work. I just bought a 67 camaro....you see where I'm going here? :D

I am a ford/pontiac guy, and this is my first chevy so you guys gotta bear with me here. This truck at work has sentimental value because it brought our family in money at a time when we didn't have any, so I'd like to bring the motor back to life.

Now my first question has to do with stroke and rods. What would be the best combination of stroke and rod to use on this motor to make up for the extra .4" of the tall deck? Would it be better to have a longer rod/shorter stroke or vice versa? I know this is huge and there is a lot of engine theory here to make the engine perform different ways.

Second would be how much power these motors could handle. I would like to build it for around 8.5-9:1 compression and run it like that for a while then put on a roots blower. How much power can these blocks, and rotating assy parts handle?

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I would recommend a 4.25" stroke. As far as the rod length goes, that will probably depend on what you can find for pistons off the shelf. I would try to shoot for 6.385 or 6.535. If you can find a piston that would work with either one of these, I think they would work well. Do you know what the casting numbers are on the heads? I dont know for sure an exact number for how much hp these motors can handle, but I know of several in the 550-600 hp range that are fine with stock blocks. Most of these have aftermarket rods and pistons at least though.

Adam

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
firestone said:
I would recommend a 4.25" stroke. As far as the rod length goes, that will probably depend on what you can find for pistons off the shelf. I would try to shoot for 6.385 or 6.535. If you can find a piston that would work with either one of these, I think they would work well. Do you know what the casting numbers are on the heads?

Adam
I'm pretty sure it has the peanut port heads.

anybody have any reccomendations of what heads to use? I'd like to go aluminum if I can find some reasonably priced, if not I'll be fine settling with iron

·
1,742 Posts
If it was me, I would consider two options. Either use a set of 049 or 781 oval heads and get 2.19 1.88 valves installed with some port work or get a set of the AFR 315cc CNC heads. The oval heads with the big valves and porting are capeable of some big hp even on pump gas (~600 NA) and they are pretty cheap. The AFRs are capeable of quite a bit more (~700-750 NA on pump gas) but they are around $3000 a set. I have a pump gas 496 I just built with a set of ported 049 heads. Based on other combinations, it should be around 600 hp @ ~6200 RPM and 600 ft lbs.

Adam

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do these blocks & rotating assy components hold up to power? I was thinking of getting a 4.25 4340 crank, H beam rods, and some type of forged pistons that give me 8:1 to 8.5:1

Also where could I find headers that match up with the tall 427 block in a 67 camaro?

·
1,742 Posts
As for the power, with those parts, I would think your setup would be able to handle about as much as you could throw at it with a roots blower and pump gas. I would get some other opinions from people who have similar motors, but I think that would hold up to quite a bit. As for the headers, I would call Hooker and see what they say.

Adam

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
what about my options of transmissions? Am I limited pretty much to a turbo 400? What would have to be done to it to be able to withstand that type of power?

I would really want a manual though. Would it even be possible or worth it to have that much power with a manual? Would a t56 even handle it?

also are these heads any good?

BBC Casting# 3993820
1971 402/454, open Chamber Heads, 113cc - I was told they were originaly used on LS-5 365 hp 454? I want to do some more checking on them!
I got a chance at picking them up pretty cheap.

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
334 Posts
Listen to firestone. He has given you good advice. I would give the same advice.

Barry

·
Registered
36 Posts
tall deck stroker

Have some one check the thickness of the cylinder walls.You can punch these as much as .120 - .160 as long as the core shift is not excessive.Run a steel 454 shaft, stock length rods cast or aluminum .You can call Keith Black or Venolia and they have pistons available.You can make a cheap 496 stroker.You will have to run spacer plates on the intake due to the 5/8 " increase in deck height .Good luck

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was screwing around with my desktop dyno and I calculated perf of the motor with the 3.76 crank compared to the 4.25 crank.....and the 3.76 crank made WAY more power than the bigger 4.25 crank...whats the reasoning behind this?

Also does anyone know if the stock 427 tall deck 3.76 crank is forged?

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Please correct me if my math is wrong, I have never been good with trigonometry. If I figured this right the tall deck engine is going to be about 2.2 inches wider than a standard deck BBC. How well is this engine going to fit in a Camaro? Not only are the headers positioned higher but they're also going to be about an inch closer to things like the frame, steering shaft, power booster, inner fenders etc. What about the valve covers coming into contact with the fire wall?
Basically, how much modification is it going to take to make the physically larger engine fit in the car?

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Blazin72 said:
Please correct me if my math is wrong, I have never been good with trigonometry. If I figured this right the tall deck engine is going to be about 2.2 inches wider than a standard deck BBC. How well is this engine going to fit in a Camaro? Not only are the headers positioned higher but they're also going to be about an inch closer to things like the frame, steering shaft, power booster, inner fenders etc. What about the valve covers coming into contact with the fire wall?
Basically, how much modification is it going to take to make the physically larger engine fit in the car?
I'm not that good at math either, but I just try to reason what the result would be. If the deck was vertical and 0.400" longer, the motor would be zero inches wider. If the deck was horizontal, the motor would be 0.800" wider. Since the angle is 45*, the motor should be 0.400" wider, or halfway between zero and 0.800". Am I thinking right on this. Comments please.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
techinspector1 said:
I'm not that good at math either, but I just try to reason what the result would be. If the deck was vertical and 0.400" longer, the motor would be zero inches wider. If the deck was horizontal, the motor would be 0.800" wider. Since the angle is 45*, the motor should be 0.400" wider, or halfway between zero and 0.800". Am I thinking right on this. Comments please.
I think you're right, I found where I messed up. I somehow ended up with 18.6 inches for the width. I think that was supposed to be 19.6 inches. And that was just basic math that I messed up with!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.