Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 67 Lincoln Continental Conv. I currently have the stock 462 MEL engine that puts out 340hp @ 485 lbs-ft torque with the 3 speed C6 Transmission Gear Ratios of 2.46, 1.46 & 1
The Lincoln is a tank at 5500lbs curb weight
I'm looking for driving performance not racing times

I'm thinking about swapping in a 5.7L or 6.4L Dodge Hemi and 8 speed trans from a salvage purchase.
The 5.7L hemi puts out 375 hp and 410 lbs-ft of torque.
The 6.4L hemi puts out 485 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque.
The transmission is an 8 speed automatic with Gear Ratios of 4.71, 3.14, 2.1, 1.67, 1.29, 1, 0.84 and 0.67
I'm considering other swaps but I like the 8 speed trans.
Am I sniffing too much exhaust here or do think either of these would be a good swap? I think the trans will make up for the lower torque of the 5.7L hemi. The 6.4L are harder to find so I'm hoping the 5.7L will work.
The MELs have nothing really in performance options or I'd consider that and keep it simple

I want to swap from a salvage b/c I'm also going to swap in the UConnect 8.4N radio/control panel, keyless entry system, remote start, seats, heater, a/c system and HVAC switches, mirrors, temp control panel and a few other goodies into the Lincoln behind the stock dash and get a Dakota Digital ECD-100 to get the stock speedo to work with the swap.

Maybe a 'stang transplant would work; I need to do some homework
yea, kinda ambitious...I know
Thoughts

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
In my 67 Lincoln Continental Conv. I currently have the stock 462 MEL engine that puts out 340hp @ 485 lbs-ft torque with the 3 speed C6 Transmission Gear Ratios of 2.46, 1.46 & 1
The Lincoln is a tank at 5500lbs curb weight
I'm looking for driving performance not racing times

I'm thinking about swapping in a 5.7L or 6.4L Dodge Hemi and 8 speed trans from a salvage purchase.
The 5.7L hemi puts out 375 hp and 410 lbs-ft of torque.
The 6.4L hemi puts out 485 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque.
The transmission is an 8 speed automatic with Gear Ratios of 4.71, 3.14, 2.1, 1.67, 1.29, 1, 0.84 and 0.67
I'm considering other swaps but I like the 8 speed trans.
Am I sniffing too much exhaust here or do think either of these would be a good swap? I think the trans will make up for the lower torque of the 5.7L hemi. The 6.4L are harder to find so I'm hoping the 5.7L will work.
The MELs have nothing really in performance options or I'd consider that and keep it simple

I want to swap from a salvage b/c I'm also going to swap in the UConnect 8.4N radio/control panel, keyless entry system, remote start, seats, heater, a/c system and HVAC switches, mirrors, temp control panel and a few other goodies into the Lincoln behind the stock dash and get a Dakota Digital ECD-100 to get the stock speedo to work with the swap.

Maybe a 'stang transplant would work; I need to do some homework
yea, kinda ambitious...I know
Thoughts
I might be interested in such a swap if I had the entire car as a donor. There will be so many little doohickey parts and pieces you will need to complete such a computerized swap that you'll make yourself crazy trying to locate them and get them into your posession. Cheapest and easiest engine swap is always begin with a complete donor car or truck using all the mechanicals and electrical parts, including the wiring. When you're through with the swap, you can sell off the sheet metal, glass, interior and any mechanical parts that you have left over to help offset the cost of the swap.

What would I do in this case? Turbocharger. More power and far cheaper and easier, not to mention resale value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at buying an entire car from a salvage that had been rear-ended. There are several available and the 5.7L hemi is used in the Challenger, Charger, Grand Cherokee, RAM P/Us; any one of these would be a good donor.

Even though the 5.7 has a lower torque output, the trans would cover that, ya think?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I had at one time a Mercury station wagon with a 460 and C-6. The best investment was a set of 4.56 gears and a gear vendors overdrive that I got from a wrecked motor home. that worked great and saved me from a lot of hassle with a hot rod engine.. Just a thought..

Sam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts