Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. On my projext car, I am making my own high mount (third brake light) and don't know yet if I will be using LED's or small bulbs yet. My question is. How do I wire it to where it comes on when the brake pedal is depressed and not when I use my turn signals. I know it probably is an easy fix, but I need to know how it's done

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I can only tell you what I did which is assuming that your set up is like mine. My M/C is under the floor so I can't use a mechanical switch (out in the weather). Maybe some have had more luck with them. I use in line pressure switches like found on a '46 Ford (Rock Auto $3.80). I use two switches, one in the front brake line (for the regular brake lights) and one in the rear (third brake light and TCC). Using a relay for the rear so that power is to the converter but when the brakes are applied power switches to the 3rd brake light.
Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Pattern

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only tell you what I did which is assuming that your set up is like mine. My M/C is under the floor so I can't use a mechanical switch (out in the weather). Maybe some have had more luck with them. I use in line pressure switches like found on a '46 Ford (Rock Auto $3.80). I use two switches, one in the front brake line (for the regular brake lights) and one in the rear (third brake light and TCC). Using a relay for the rear so that power is to the converter but when the brakes are applied power switches to the 3rd brake light. View attachment 619186
OK. On my projext car, I am making my own high mount (third brake light) and don't know yet if I will be using LED's or small bulbs yet. My question is. How do I wire it to where it comes on when the brake pedal is depressed and not when I use my turn signals. I know it probably is an easy fix, but I need to know how it's done
Thanks. But I am a little confused. On my project, my master cylinder is also under the floor. I have dic brakes on front and drum on rear, dual master cylinder, if that helps

·
Administrator
8,476 Posts
Tap an extra wire at the brake light switch output , anywhere BEFORE it goes to the turn switch. You can pick it up at the turn switch at the base of the steering column

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The third brake light circuit in my example is completely separate from the brake light circuit that goes thru the steering column and incorporates the turn signals. Note that I said that I used TWO pressure switches, one on the front brake line and one on the back brake line.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tap an extra wire at the brake light switch output , anywhere BEFORE it goes to the turn switch. You can pick it up at the turn switch at the base of the steering column
Won't it create a feedback into the turn signals? And, by the way, I dio not have a turn signal switch in my column. Total old school set up

·
Administrator
8,476 Posts
pick up the brake light wire ( from the brake switch) as it goes up to the aftermarket turn switch. Tap in right there BEFORE the turn switch. send that to the CHMSL
( Center High Mount Stop Lamp) which is what it is called b most every car maker

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
That may be the answer. I will have to contact them. As I said, I may be using an LED light or one with small bulbs. This project I am doing is a one of a kind ride
i have a new one you can have for the cost of shipping
i bought it before i bought a painless harness with 3rd brake light wiring built in

Handwriting Font Rectangle Transparency Soil

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pick up the brake light wire ( from the brake switch) as it goes up to the aftermarket turn switch. Tap in right there BEFORE the turn switch. send that to the CHMSL
( Center High Mount Stop Lamp) which is what it is called b most every car maker
i have a new one you can have for the cost of shipping
i bought it before i bought a painless harness with 3rd brake light wiring built in

View attachment 619198
Be more than happy to take this off your hands

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.