Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Home Built Rods No Rules
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 8

1956 What's In A Name

On this day, the Ford Motor Company decided on the name "Edsel" for a new model in development for the 1958 market year. The new addition to the Ford family of automobiles would be a tribute to Edsel Bryant Ford, who served as company president from 1919 until his death in 1943. Edsel Ford was also the oldest son of founder Henry Ford and father to current company President Henry Ford II. The designer of the Edsel, Roy Brown, was instructed to create an automobile that was highly recognizable, and from every angle different than anything else on the road. In the fall of 1957, with great fanfare, the 1958 Edsel was introduced to the public. With its horse collar grill in the front and its regressed side-panels in the rear, the Edsel indeed looked like nothing else on the road. However, despite its appearance, the Ford Edsel was a high-tech affair, featuring state-of-the-art innovations such as the "Tele-Touch" push-button automatic transmission. Nevertheless, buyer appeal was low, and the Ford Edsel earned just a 1.5 percent share of the market in 1958. After two more years, the Edsel marque was abandoned, and its name would forever be synonymous with business failure.

1992 The Fastest Wheelie

On this day, daredevil Jacky Vranken of Belgium set a record for the highest speed ever attained on the rear wheel of a motorcycle. At St. Truiden Military Airfield in Belgium, Vranken reached 157.87 while performing an extended "wheelie" with his Suzuki GSXR 1100 motorcycle. The year before, Yasuyuki Kudo of Japan had set the record for the longest wheelie when he covered 205.7 miles nonstop on the rear wheel of his Honda TLM 220 R motorcycle at the Japan Automobile Research Institute in Tsukuba, Japan.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
This date in history

Being a Ford man, I have always wanted to forget the Edsel, especially since I remember when they hit the market.

Glad to know the guy survived his wheelie attempt.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Edsels

Well Edsels did have some pretty honkin engines in their time.

That is one CLEAN looking 60. Just wish they had done something a little neater with the tail lites.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Definitely a wierd unit......

The taillights are the same as those on a 60 Comet.....

Originally the Comet was supposed to be a small Edsel, but when the powers that be pulled the plug on the Edsel program the Comet became the small Mercury.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
BattlestarOne said:

Definitely a wierd unit......

The taillights are the same as those on a 60 Comet.....

Originally the Comet was supposed to be a small Edsel, but when the powers that be pulled the plug on the Edsel program the Comet became the small Mercury.
Cool, an Edsel Starliner. Those 60 models are scarce.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
This day in history

Always had a thing for that roof line. I had a 61 Ford Starliner back in 65, was an awesome vehicle. A real babe magnet.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Hey BattleStar...Can you snap a couple of pics from the front angle. The car looks super but I for one would like to see more. Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts

The front is just as ugly as the back!:thumbup:

That's my daughter driving it at the All Ford Nationals at Carlisle. It was her first time down the track and she went 4 rounds in eliminations. Not bad for a newbie!:cool:

Yeah, I know it's sick to race and Edsel, but I just can't help it....

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Nice Edsel! I like it! What kind of times was your daughter running? Dare to be different certainly applies here. :thumbup: Too cool. Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've only run that car on the 1/8th Mile. Best was a 9.45 which comes out to around a high 14 in the 1/4 Mile.

It's the original Cruise-O-Matic with column shift so we just leave it in Drive and floor it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I DONT KNOW WHY EVERYONE HATES EDSELS! mabey its just that i have grown up with cars that look like boxes, or every other car looking like the one next to it, but I think that the edsel is one of the hottest looking cars out there, of course i would chose a hemi mopar anything or 440 or quite a fiew over that car, but i like it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Edsels

Honestly, I never had a thing against Edsels, other than the grill. I have often wished I could have gotten my hands on some Edsel engines over the years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts