Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
True Hotrodder
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm tearing apart my '55 Chevy 210 to build a new bracket car.

As I have gone along on this project, starting last year, I have sold off most of the decent parts off of the car. Front sheet metal, doors, windows, moldings and other pits and pieces.

The latest item is the original rear end, drum to drum. I have no use for it, I don't want it cluttering up the place and it's out of here - either to someone that needs it or to the dump. So I put a short ad up and a few pictures in Craigslist. Drum to Drum, nothing leaking, nothing that I can tell is wrong with it. It rolled okay when I pulled the car up to the shop last year and rolled okay getting into the garage. This is all I know about it. $10.00 is what I'm asking for it because I want it gone.

Had a guy call me yesterday and wanted to know what gear ratio it has. I told him I did not know. He proceeds to inform me as to how I can turn the rear pinion and count the drum turns - (yep, I was in class that day when we did ratios) - so that I can give him that information and he can decide whether $10 is too much or not. I did not commit to doing anything and he hung up.

An hour later this guy calls again and wants to know if I did what he said. I said no and I'm not going to because I don't care if I sell it or it goes to the dump by this weekend. "Well then, guess you missed out on $10!". Okay pal.

A few hours later I get a call from a guy in Baltimore, MD - that's about a 3 hour run to get to my place. He's coming tomorrow morning to pick it up - liked the pictures and the price.

Mr. Dummy calls about 7:00 or so last night and say's he will come get it - too late pal, already sold it. He then tells me that he already told me that he wanted to buy it. I told him he had a strange way of communicating that fact. Good-bye.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Works both ways. I replied to an ad for a truck Dana 80 for too-much money, asked about the ratio and limited-slip etc. He could tell me nothing, he would do nothing. He said it wasn't possible to find out the ratio, he'd have to pull the cover and didn't want to. I said that if he just went out and lifted up one side he'd find out if it was limited slip...if not, if he then turned the wheel twice and counted pinion revs he could get the figure and it would be really helpful to his ad, i.e. it would benefit him in dealing with any buyer, not just me. If it was posi then both sides would have to be lifted. Noooo, 'way too complicated.

I had to drive an hour, up a tiny dirt road, past a gate, wade through his dogs, listen to his conversation, so I could pull a little floor jack out of the trunk of my wife's Toyota to lift one side and count turns. It took maybe two minutes. Wide-eyed at first, soon he was the expert and offering suggestions. It was nowhere near the ratio I wanted. Having wasted all morning I returned home to find his ad already had the ratio I'd found listed with it now.

Some buyers need to know what they're getting to make it worth the trip, I suppose some don't, some in the hobby of saving old junk need and offer courtesies, some don't.

BTW I picked up like ten old 55-57 small blocks and a half-dozen auto trans's that had been in a fire for free a couple years ago...what was I thinking? They still sit, anyone I've spoken to doesn't actually show up. Crate motors, LS motors, the interested population ageing-out had made this stuff worth little now. Using the classifieds is always a crap-shoot anyhow, I've also had some amazing experiences and met awesome people who I never would have otherwise.

·
True Hotrodder
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@kso I agree with you and if I was asking some serious money for this I certainly would have posted the information in the ad to start with but as I said it's a $10 bill. The guy that's coming for it is happy to get it - the rear he has in his car now has welded up spiders in it making it a lousy rear for the street cruiser he is building. He's also asked about other parts but initially I didn't want to get into all of that but I went ahead and put some stuff that I'm not going to use in the truck. I'll probably sell the stuff for dimes on what I paid for it but at least it might get used along with the $10 complete rear. Shoot, the drums on it are worth more than that amount. I might be the one selling but my time and efforts have additional value too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
At $10 I'd say the only clear way of indicating intent to buy is to communicate that fact with a small portrait of Alexander Hamilton. Or perhaps two of Abraham Lincoln.

Hell, at $10, you could probably make a profit just taking it and scrapping it. At that price people should know better than to make it into a hassle.

I pretty well knew I was in that boat buying my '56 Mercury for $200, I feel bad I keep having to go back and ask the guy I bought it from questions because Secretary of State is making it such a hassle to title the car... I knew it was a good deal even if I got nothing out of it but a pair of fenders, but I am trying to make it into a car instead of scrap.

·
True Hotrodder
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the gentleman from Baltimore showed up and we loaded the rear into his truck. I had a box of stuff that I wasn't going to use and as he is building his car from the ground up he purchased everything I had. Like I said I let the stuff go for little to nothing but hopefully it will find a new home on his ride. Mike was his name and he was a very nice person to deal with on the transaction. I think the right person ended up with that third member.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts