Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Heart Breaker and Life Taker
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Went to move my mothers truck today,put the key in the ignition and did'nt even move,so I took thde key out,and the * broke in two. So unless we try and have a copy made which will be kinda hard,or jump the silonoid,It's stuck. Cheap *** GM keys.

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
oh?

you mean you have one of those rare chevy's without the disease?( where u can turn the ign switch with out the key)?

·
Banned
431 Posts
Cruiseomatic said:
Went to move my mothers truck today,put the key in the ignition and did'nt even move,so I took thde key out,and the F-er broke in two. So unless we try and have a copy made which will be kinda hard,or jump the silonoid,It's stuck. Cheap *** GM keys.
sounds to me like the steering wheel was locked and you tried to force it. all it takes is a slight turn of the wheel and the key will turn.......... so i guess what i'm really trying to say is YOU BROKE IT :p :D

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea 53,You can take the key out while the engine is running,but can't crank it without the key,tis an '89 Jimmy. And lets see,I barely turned it so unless it was that bad,I didnt do it,lol.

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
Any good locksmith should be able to cut you a key from the remains. Theres one local place thats been in business for about 30 years (same owners) that has cut me keys from 3 pieces before.

You have to be careful with some keys they are easy to accidentaly twist off, I've done it before and boy is it fun to get the rest of the key out of the ignition! :smash:

·
Banned
431 Posts
i think a brand new switch is only $8. hell just rent a puller if you don't have one and put in a new switch. it sounds like you need a new one anyway if you can remove the key while its running.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Pull off the steering wheel, I use a harmonic balancer puller for that (works good and they are cheap), remove the turn signal shaft (threads right out), remove the emergency flasher button (phillip's screw). Now comes the hard part, remove the lock plate (this is the part that makes your steering wheel lock). I own a lock plate puller for this purpose, I have pulled them without one but it gets kind of aggravating. Remove the turn signal switch(three phillips screws).
From here there is only one torx head screw holding the lockset in place, remove it and you can pull the lock out.
Now you can start it with a screwdriver until you get a new lockset.

I have bought many vehicles with lost keys.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,I think were gonna get a kew made tommarow. before she has to leave. But if worse comes to worst,then Looks like im ripping the collom apart.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
tbirdscott said:
Jeez you do it the hard way!, whats wrong with a pair of ball pein hammers and your knees?
Yes, the hammer method does work, but I have found it much easier to use a puller. And there is less chance for damage. I have done this a lot. Occasionally you will run into a stubborn wheel that you have to rap on the puller to get it off.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would just follow crashfarmer2,s directions.They are right on the money.Last week I installed one in an 82 chevy truck.Some of the parts stores lone tools now, you might be able to borrow a lock plate puller.I think it was $11.00 with two new keys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts