Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been in the market for a mig welder and I've been trying to make up my mind on what to buy, I ran across the Hobart Handler 210MVP Mig earlier today and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it? I have 220 in my shop but it's powering my air compressor right now and I don't want to switch back and forth between the two. I could run another 220 later I just don't want to right now which is why I like this design, I can run 110 now and if I do decide to run 220 I don't have to kick myself for only having a 110. I'm also open minded to Lincoln and Miller, I just noticed this is a decent price.

Here is a link to the welder

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have a bridged 80 Amp Service in My Shop (2-40's), and I run my Mig, Tig, Heaters and 80 Gallon compressor off of it. I have had no issues (or circiut breaker trips), so it works ok.

As for the Hobart, there have been many reports of happy Customers with them, although the word (if true) is that they are the poorer brother to a Miller-I think in a Home Shop environement they are fine-it should have enough oomph to handle most everything you will need on a Car-I have both a Lincoln Mig (175) and Lincoln Tig (185), and haven't found anything that I can't Weld-

The bigger question to me is:do you have a Hobart Warranty Center close by in case you have a problem or need suppllies?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's something I hadn't looked into yet but it looks like the local Airgas in Ogden is a certified service center for Hobart, although I didn't notice any on their shelves when I was there the other day. I really won't be using it for much more than car projects, maybe a few other things here and there. I'll have to look into doing a bridged setup; right now my compressor is just running on a 30.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Wait a minute.......I see now that you are from Utah too (shows how well I pay attention....)-I like Airgas, they sure do price their stuff at or above Retail!), but I used to use the one in Provo, but it is now closed on Saturdays (my day to get stuff)-I also like Humphries-anyway, given your location, you could buy just about anything you want and get it serviced- :welcome:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are closed on Saturdays around here too, luckily I have Fridays off every so often so it's not too much of a problem.

·
& matts38chev
2,669 Posts
i think that Hobart would be a very good machine

its similar to my miller 211 with MVP plug
the reason i bought my miller 211, is because it will go both ways (think portable)

I think the Hobart doesnt have the auto-set, like the miller does, but I never use it anyway :rolleyes:
so the Hobart is a better deal, your not paying for stuff you dont need :thumbup:

it will need some pretty high amps on 110v, but will work :thumbup:

my 220v air compressor doesnt use that many amps
and i have it wired into the back of my welders outlet
(not to code i'm sure)

but you will only be using one thing at a time (unless you get a plasma cutter)
it only takes a minute for my compressor to fill up and shut off

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
35WINDOW said:
the word (if true) is that they are the poorer brother to a Miller-

Definitely not true! This myth got started because both Hobart and Miller are owned by the same parent company, ITW, and share some of the same off the shelf parts (some of which can even be found in some other brands) but neither owns the other. Hobart and Miller are separate entities and they are in competition with each other. Just like any other "urban legend" this keeps getting passed around but it is important to debunk this thing because it does a dis-service to both Hobart and the potential customer. Hobart is no one's "second line" and anyone considering buying one need not think he is settling for a second rate machine,similar size Millers are usually more costly because they are aimed at the industrial market while the Hobart is aimed more at the consumer market and thus usually has fewer "bells and whistles", but then they tend to cost less too for that reason. Hobarts are not compromised in quality and are a deserving member of the big three, Lincoln (my preference! :D ), Miller and Hobart.

As has been mentioned several times in other threads it is kind of interesting that the warranty for both machines is handled by HOBART/ Miller electric rather than the other way around, kind of odd if Miller did indeed own Hobart! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The miller 211 is another welder I have been looking into, I can't decide if the price difference between the two make up for features. I can get the Hobart shipped to my house for about $875 with a cart or I can get the Miller by itself locally for around $100. The cart will not be the deciding factor, I can build a cart if I want one :D

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I own that welder, have had it 11 years, and have had to do nothing other then buy tips and run wire. In my opinion it is as good as you can get for a hobby welder.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well here's another Utah Hobart owner, I bought the Hobart Handler 187 during the summer from Tractor Supply, they had them on a close out sale for $549....hell of a good deal to for a QUALITY 220 v. mig. I have welded up several projects with absolutely no problems. It has plenty of suds for up to 3/8 plate, may have to make a double pass now and then but no big deal.

I just made a set of "Ski's" for my snow blower to keep the auger from picking up rocks out of my driveway, not the best welding conditions in the garage....SUPER cold and breezy with the doors open but it came out ok. Might have to call "35Window" to get me some "factory" orange paint since he's a dealer for Ariens.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Hobart or Miller. One thing I would point out is, when using the Handler 210 MVP or the Miller 210 MVP on 110 volts you don't have a 210 amp welder, you only get 140 amps on 110 volts. It's basically like having a Handler 140 and a Handler 210 in one unit. I have a Handler 120 that I've had for quite a while, I'll never get rid of it. I also have a Millermatic 210. If Hobart and Miller had brought out their 210 amp portable units before I bought the Millermatic 210 I would have bought one of them instead.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops I meant $1000 locally for the miller. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Hobart due to the positive reviews I'm hearing and the price difference, which will give me a little extra money to buy a 125cf cylinder which I still need to figure out where to buy one of those locally, I think Airgas has them but I don't know their pricing yet.

·
& matts38chev
2,669 Posts
K72Nova said:
Oops I meant $1000 locally for the miller. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Hobart due to the positive reviews I'm hearing and the price difference, which will give me a little extra money to buy a 125cf cylinder which I still need to figure out where to buy one of those locally, I think Airgas has them but I don't know their pricing yet.
airgas is who I use :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I will add that with my little unit I can single-pass-weld 1/4" plate and it "bites" pretty deep even at that. I use 220vac.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man now the guy at my local US Weld told me about a Lincoln powermig 180 duel. He told me they have it for $929 with either a $100 rebate or a $250 welding package that comes with welding jacket, gloves, auto dark helmet, and a few other goodies. Hate to get the ball rolling again but does anyone know anything about the Lincoln?

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
K72Nova said:
So I've been in the market for a mig welder and I've been trying to make up my mind on what to buy, I ran across the Hobart Handler 210MVP Mig earlier today and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it? I have 220 in my shop but it's powering my air compressor right now and I don't want to switch back and forth between the two. I could run another 220 later I just don't want to right now which is why I like this design, I can run 110 now and if I do decide to run 220 I don't have to kick myself for only having a 110. I'm also open minded to Lincoln and Miller, I just noticed this is a decent price.

Here is a link to the welder
I was tired of switching back and forth so I simply changed to a four gang box and put the two there so both can be plugged in. I ran an extension cord to my welder to the other side of the shop and keep it rolled up there so I don't even have to go back to the corner to plug it in.

Brian

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
K72Nova said:
Man now the guy at my local US Weld told me about a Lincoln powermig 180 duel. He told me they have it for $929 with either a $100 rebate or a $250 welding package that comes with welding jacket, gloves, auto dark helmet, and a few other goodies. Hate to get the ball rolling again but does anyone know anything about the Lincoln?

I have owned and used Lincolns from the little 110 unit to the big three phase power outfits to both gasoline and diesel machines, they were my choice from 1975 until I sold my shop and retired a few years ago. That little 110 Lincoln was purchased to do a particular job that was so remote is was not practical to access with a full size MIG but the little one could be carried to the location along with one of those tiny gas bottles that contained just enough gas to do the job. As a result that little 110 machine was carried around in my service truck tool box for several years and was used outdoors in rain, snow, mud, dust, etc and just generally abused far beyond what one should expect of a machine like that. It was always there and never let us down, still have it today with most of the paint beaten off and looking like a refugee from a scrap yard it still works just fine! Yeah I kind of like Lincoln! :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
K72Nova said:
While I'm partial to Hobart and Miller mig welders I will say that Lincoln also makes a quality product. I have all three in my garage now, a Lincoln 180 amp AC buzzbox that's 43+ years old and still going strong, a Hobart Handler 120 that's somewhere around 20 years old, and a Millermatic 210 (the "baby" of the bunch that's only 4-5 years old). They've all been great machines, and that's why Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln are "the big 3" in welders. A plus for Lincoln welders is if you live close to a Home Depot, as they sell Lincoln welders and stock consumables for them. By the same token, if you live close to a Tractor Supply or Rural King they handle Hobart welders and stock consumables for Hobart and Miller migs.

The Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual is a multi-voltage setup like the Handler 210 and the Millermatic 211, except it is limited to 180 amps instead of 210. You won't find anything working on cars, and probably anything else you would want to weld around home, that you couldn't do with a 180 amp mig. It's also "spool gun ready", that is, you just unplug the mig gun and plug in the Lincoln spool gun if you ever want to weld any aluminum. The only thing I noticed in their info that I didn't like was it comes with .025" and .035" contact tips, but no .030" tips. .030" is the size that these welders really do the best with. It's no big deal as tips are inexpensive.

Here's the Lincoln page with info for the Power Mig 180 Dual: Power Mig 180 Dual

Here's a YouTube video with info:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'm taking all this info and heading down to the welding supply shop to see what I can get into. I appreciate all the info and advice!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I took everyone's advice and went down to the welding supplier and after a bit of talking with them and them offering me good deals I ended up with the Lincoln powermig 180 duel. They got me into it for the same price as the Hobart and I'll also be getting a pretty cool rebate from Lincoln that includes an auto darkening helmet, welding jacket, welding gloves, du rag, metal working gloves, safety glasses, and a duffle bag to throw it all in. I already have most of that already but it was all from harbor freight so I will have some stuff that is a bit nicer now. They also got me into a 125 bottle for $190 filled which is about $100 less than other places I had called. I really appreciate everyone’s advice on this, now I just need to go pick up some more scrap metal to get some more practice in. Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts