Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use Teflon tape being careful not to start the tape over the end of the fitting where it could become cut off and float through the fuel system until it finds the most expensive component where it can lodge and do some damage

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your answers!
I intend to use a bend like the one påictured below on my frame mounted fuel filter to receive the hose from the tank and I am wondering how it is possible to "hit" with the torque (= make a proper seal) at the same time that the bend is pointing in the direction that I want it to?

To hope the threads will bottom out in the fuel filter at the very same time the bend is positioned correct will be too much of a considence...? So how do they fasten fittings like this?

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
staleg said:
Thank you for your answers!
I intend to use a bend like the one p堢elow on my frame mounted fuel filter to receive the hose from the tank and I am wondering how it is possible to "hit" with the torque (= make a proper seal) at the same time that the bend is pointing in the direction that I want it to?

To hope the threads will bottom out in the fuel filter at the very same time the bend is positioned correct will be too much of a considence...? So how do they fasten fittings like this?

A good non-hardening fuel resistant gasket paste should be used on threaded fuel line fittings with tapered pipe threads. Do not depend on the taper alone for the sealing. Teflon tape when applied correctly will also work.

The fitting you show in the photo appears to be tapered pipe threads. It should not bottom against anything or it will not seal. Tapered threads sealing properties are dependent on the interference of the taper.

Hopefully that fitting will be close to lining up in the direction you want and that some additional torquing will get it tight and pointing correctly. Over tightening the fitting will crack or even snap off the fitting. I would suggest you consider using an AN straight adapter (tapered pipe threads on one end and AN fitting on the other) from the fuel filter and then an AN fitting with a 90 degree bend from there. The AN fitting can be aimed in the direction you need and the AN fittings will seal excellent with no added sealant. You will still need a fuel resistant non-hardening sealer applied to the pipe threads. I like Permatex brand sealers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.