Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rebuilt, stock 350 Small Block Chevy, with thirty thousanth's over bore pistons. I am restoring my truck for the street and for show and would like to install a Comp Cams Thumpr Camshaft but I don't know what all modificaions I would need or if there are any needed. Any advise and help is appreciated.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I second that. Unless your going for sound and no performance then it`s okay, other than that it`s all show and no go.
The mods that go with the cam are many, as the whole combo must work together as a team to make power. Everything from the compression ratio, head flow, spark timing, intake, carb size, exhaust system, rear gears, stall converter if using a automatic, all play a role.
So, what we need to know is what do you want your engine to do. Do you want something with killer low end torque? Or maybe something with real strong midrange? A high RPM screamer? Give us more details and we can do the rest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your advice. But what Double Vision said, I am really just going for the sound, I have enough power and torque for what I have planned for it. I am really just using it for street use really, and for car shows, when I get done anyways. True though that I like the power and torque but with my budget, there is no way that I can afford to have it. So I looked and found that thumpr cams could give me a great sound without killing my wallet.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Well I`ll say this, it don`t have to be a particular brand to give it a lopey idle, the cheapy summit cams can do that. I don`t know your combo but I wouldn`t sacrafice anything if I knew I had a good combo.
Example. I built a friend of mine`s engine to these specs, it`s a street machine in a 84 olds cutlass 2 door.
350 Vortec block Bored .030 decked .010
Speed pro hyper 2 valve relief flat top coated skirt pistons
.028 Mr. Gasket head gaskets, Quench distance .043
RHS Vortec heads, 170cc ports, 64cc chambers.
Comp Cams hardened push rods
Manley Street master valves 1.94 1.50. Pioneer locks and retainers.
Stock self aligning rockers
Edelbrock Performer Vortec intake
SMI Quadrajet, K&N air filter.
Black Jack headers, dual exhaust into flowmasters, no tail pipes
Cloyes Vortec single roller timing set
Comp Cams Hydraulic roller magnum series .215 Duration @.050 .500 lift
HEI ignition. Pertronix flame thrower coil and module. Blue Max spiral core plug wires.
Fresh TH350 tranny, 2400 B&M stall converter
3.42 gears, Posi traction.
As you see, this engine has a rather mild cam, but it has a nice lopey idle.
The car spins lightly for about 8 feet, then it hooks hard and takes off like the jolly green giant kicked it in the a**. When shifted to 2nd the rear sits way down and the tires bark, before you blink your already running 70.
So to say, you can use many different cams that will give you outstanding torque and horsepower, and it`ll still idle rough and nasty. My belief is, if I sound nasty I may as well have something to back it up. If your combo is mild you can still pick from many cams, the comp magnum 268H idles rough but it doesn`t hurt low end torque. If your set on the thumper, run it. I`m only saying you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to lopey idling cams.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
the 274/274 215/215 106/102 .450/.450 cam has been around FOREVER and a lot of cam manufacturers sell it, you can pick up the Elgin kit with that cam for about $75 total. And it has a real nice lope to it, GREAT mid range, GREAT durability, and suprisingly good milage (about 20mpg in an old Vette seems to be common from what I've heard). I actaully have taht exact cam in an engine sitting 20 feet away from me. It works very well with an RPM style intake, a 600cfm carb, and some decent long tube headers- a great low budget street performance cam.

I have yet to hear of one person that didn't like this cam- if you want a very mild street cam that has good bark AND bite then I suggest you look into this one. If you're on a budget its really hard to beat- it also works with cheap "z28" valve springs and stock Vortec heads can run it with only minimal retainer clearancing. Another good option that is a little more spendy but still great for street performance is the Isky Mega264- again I have not heard one complaint on this cam BUT it is a little more costly- almost three times as much for a cam and lifter kit.

Without knowing your combo it is hard to give a more exact recomendation but these two cams have been thrown in a LOT of street combos and have always seemed to please people both in terms of sound AND the tire marks they leave behind- decent milage is a nice little bonus.

If nothign else atleast look up some sound clips of cars with these combos and give them a thought- I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. The money you save by not buying a Thumper cam you can send me in the mail if it will make you feel better. :mwink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you SO much, for all of y'alls help. I'm just starting off with actually doing this kinda stuff myself and I thought that this place would be the best for advise of what to do, what parts to use. Again thank you all and I will keep you all posted on the results. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.