Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you remember this. http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?threadid=50513&highlight=Thunderbird.

I spoke to the owner, after talking for a while we didn't really get very far. I wanted to feel him out and find out how much sentimental value it had, and what he thought it was worth dollar wise. Well he's a tough guy to read and we weren't getting very far. I wanted him to name a price or take my new $500 offer. I thought he would take my offer, since he told me that he didn't care about the car.

He was more concerned about finding out the cars true value. He wanted to establish a real value and then set an hourly rate for me. Then I could work off the price of the car working on his Little Red Express truck that he is restoring.

I wasn't fond of that idea. I don't have that many free weekends as it is, this guys house if 40 miles away from me. And once winter break starts I'll be painting with my dad on the weekends.

At this point I'm supposed to be researching to find out what the true value of the car is. Luckily I've found some ended ebay auctions with T-Birds in better condition than his going for under $500.

My dad said that if I want to bring this car home I have to go in on a partnership with my little brother(16yrs old) making the car both of ours, splitting the cost, work, ect. Guys my little brother doesn't even check the oil in my moms car.

I'll probably meet this guy on Saturday so we'll see how this plays out. It's not looking as promising as it was. If I don't buy the car the owner will let it rot, I know a few people said they would want it Biggar Mike, akm. I'll keep you guys in mind if I don't get the car.

Mike

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Can't really set a regular value price on a flood victum. There is no fair way for you to come up with the true value of a flood victum. The guy has to understand this is not a reguylar T-bird your talking about and the price should reflect the fact the cars been in a flood. Let me get this straight...he wants you to research the value of his car?? Tell the guy to set his price and see if it something you can live with.....I would forget the brother goin halfs thing....not a good Idea. That car looks good enough to pay on over time till its yours!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
I would tell him that since the car was a victim of a flood...the value of the car is about $400.00. The wiring is shot, the interior is shot, and the motor/trans is going to need rebuilt.
As far as going 1/2's with your brother...let it go. Not a good idea, some situations it may bring 2 people closer together, but I doubt it. Both people need to be on the EXACT same page when it comes to rebuilding/customizing a car or you will both fight about everything from what color int/ext, what motor who's name the title is in, who gets to drive it and when each of you gets to drive it. If there is others on ebay going for a cheaper price and in better condition...I would seriously consider that route. If the guy just wants to let his car sit and rot...thats his option, it's his car.

Later,
WEIMER

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to play a little hard ball next time I see this guy.

See if I can get him to sell the car to me for $1 if I give him three Saturdays of my free time once winter is over. If not, he's out of luck.

I told my dad his idea for my brother and I to go 50/50 is a disaster waiting to happen. It won't happen.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Bring cash and a tow dolly. Say look, I'll help you from time to time on your truck if you need it, but I really don't have enough free weekends to make a solid commitment. I'm giving you my word that I'll help you when I can, but I can't promise regularity. I'm here with cash for the car, it needs a lot of work and its going down-hill just sitting here. Do the car a favor and let it go to somebody who can care for it properly.

K

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Cash is good!!

Cash is ALWAYS GOOD!!! This guy will probably let the bird rot if you don't get it and he knows that!! Try and work out the helping hand deal if you can!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think you have the right idea. Tell him you have to get more when you get paid in old junk. Nailing it down to 3 days is good. Don't be afraid to let it go.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Set the price you can live with in your head before talking to the guy again and don't go over it. Don't feel bad if the price is to steep and you have to let it go. I have bought many cars and experience has taught me to set a limit, don't go over it and the next deal is right around the corner.

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to the guy on Saturday and told him I was no longer interested.

I was getting way ahead of myself thinking I could take on a project that size at this current time.

3,214 Posts
That was probably the best move you could make. I didn't read all of the other posts, but if that was a flood car, it would take alot of serious work. If you are seriously attached to the car, it is one thing. If you just think you would like to have it, that is not enough commitment for a project like that. I really hate it when someone tackles a project, then gets frustrated and gives up on it. So much time, effort, and resources are lost. It usually takes a while to recover and get back on something more enjoyable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts