Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished tuning in my 350 re build, noticed a slight ticking, coming from the valve train. Drained the break in oil and replaced with the Joe Gibbs break in oil... ticking got worse.
Re checked valve lash, seems to be fine... as rpms increase to around 2000 it's clicking very loud, oil pressure is at 45-50.
it's a 350 sbc, .60 over
Stock bottom end
4 relief flat tops
Lunati Voo Doo 268/274 cam & lifters
186 double hump heads, with 2.02/1.60's, screw in studs and guide plates
600 cfm holley, 1 3/4 headers
Timimg is 22* int. 14*mech, 36* @ 3000 all in
350 tb, 3.73 rear gears
2000 stall
Truck runs like a scalded ape!!!
this ticking just wont go away! changed the oil again to a thicker oil, re checked lash again for the third time,:sweat: still clicking. Got messy and pulled the valve covers, and all are pumping oil just fine, none are bottoming out, and the geo seems good on the stems.
The only thing that is not new on the motor was the aluminum roller tip rockers. Not marked, but im sure they are the proform (blue) roller tips. I have new Comp Steel roller tips on the way.
Is there anything that i may be missing? So far this has been a great re build, love love love the way this things runs! just the ticking is hard to find, and driving me crazy!:spank:
Would the guide plates cause a tick or a rubbing sound? this is a TICK

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
Check to make sure that the roller rockers are not hitting the valve covers. Are you running a solid or hydraulic cam? If solid, it will be the nature of the beast. If hydraulic, it may be a lifter. Is it ticking from both sides or in one particular area on one side?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are Hydraulic Lifters. Although they are brand new lifters, guess they could come bad?
I've got tall aluminum valve covers on the motor, i'll try the tall steel ones ive got laying around... good idea!
Seems to be coming from both sides, worse on the passenger side!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what seems strange to me is that... while at idle, you can't hardly hear it, (the ticking) at 2000 rpm it's horrible, then it seems to slack off a bit at higher rpms.
Would a bad or noisey lifter still pump oil? Because they all pump very good.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
So when you say you checked "lash", I assume you are adjusting the lifters correctly with some pre-load? Hydraulic lifters will have zero lash. The way I adjust hydraulics is with the motor running at idle. Loosen each lifter until it starts to tick, then tighten it up until the ticking goes away and add a 1/2 turn past that and tighten back up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have set the valve lash your way before, and may try it that way again tomorrow.
When the lifter is on the bottom of the lobe, I remove the lash then give it a 3/4 turn of pre load.

·
Registered
69 Posts
sounds like she is eating her piggies ,could be starting to flatten the cam
or like the other person said maybe hitting the vc
what springs did you use
on break in you should have a rotella or delvac oil with zinc and break in lube

·
Registered
69 Posts
you wont know if the lifter is going till it eats a couple hundred thosands of metal has been ground up and ran thru the motor
pull plug wires at 1500 rpm to see which cyl it is and go from there
I wouldnt run it till you know whats up for it could destroy your build

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The kit i bought is p/n 10120703, the cam is p/n 60103... 268/276,[email protected] 227/233,gross lift .489/.504, lsa/Icl 110/106.
The springs are correct according to Lunati, what they sent with the cam & Lifter kit.
I used Rotella T and the Lunati break in additive, and broke in the cam just as they requested. after the cam break in, i drained the oil and added the Joe Gibbs break in oil, and was going to run it for 400 miles. i removed the oil because of the clicking and added a thicker oil with the Zink break in additive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My plan is to change the Rocker Arms. They are the unknown in all this, if it continues to click, i'll change the valve covers.
if it still clicks then the intake is coming off and i'll take a look at the Lifters and Cam lobes (as much as I can see)... I have too much time and effort in this to take a chance, it's not being driven... might have 20 miles on the re build, parked at the shop now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The thing that gets me is that it runs SO good! idles great, nice lope, nice throttle response, returns to idle... just that tick... Hope that i only find something simple like hitting the valve cover! I'll know more in the morning when i tear into it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.