Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i put it in gear i hear that ticking noise ( i dont have any exhaust leaks) but if i put the brake on and rev it a little the noise goes away... maybe that narrows it down a little??

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sagacious said:
when i put it in gear i hear that ticking noise ( i dont have any exhaust leaks) but if i put the brake on and rev it a little the noise goes away... maybe that narrows it down a little??
I see a transmission shop in your near future...

I don't know what kind of trans you are running but the one in my 90 GM truck with a lockout converter did the same thing and blew up on me about 2 weeks later...I'd go by a mechanic you trust and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 700r4.. just came out of the tranny shop with less than 2 miles. the motor has less than 2000 miles on it. everything in the drivetrain has been replaced. did your ticking noise go away when you revved it up in gear a little higher? im assuming it was the same tranny by the year of your truck.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sagacious said:
its a 700r4.. just came out of the tranny shop with less than 2 miles. the motor has less than 2000 miles on it. everything in the drivetrain has been replaced. did your ticking noise go away when you revved it up in gear a little higher? im assuming it was the same tranny by the year of your truck.
Yes, my tranmissions symptoms where nearly exactly the same as yours. I'd put mine in any gear it would start making noise and if I gave it some gas or I was driving I couldn't hear it.

One thing I didn't ask is is the ticking sound consistent - does it slow down or speed up based on engine RPM or does it go away with additional RPM?

A consistent sound that rises and falls with RPM would more likely be loose torque converter bolts - sometimes a cracked flexplate, but this is more rare.

On another note - these 700R4 transmissions appear to be throwaway. The design with the lockout converter doesn't hold up to high mileage. I replaced the trans in my truck 2 weeks after I bought it in '98, '01 the converter was replaced as it was making noise, '02 the converter bolts let loose, '06 the torque converter let loose internally and replaced the trans again!

I asked my trans guy what alternative I had since it doesn't seem like this design hold up well - he said the newer transmissions than the 700r4 are a better design, electronic but they are 3000.00 and up to buy - or go to a TH400 and lose 'overdrive'

I just had him rebuild the current one and will put up with it for this rig. I'll keep it in mind once I finally find my dream truck...Crew Cab Duelly 4x4!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it does rise and fall with engine rpm but at a certain point it goes away. i remember i had a problem with the car wanting to die when i put it in gear. luckily it was just timing. it would be 350-400rpm barely chugging along and the ticking got faster when i fixed the timing and the car was at 800rpm. at about 1100rpm i dont hear it.

oh...the trans guy put in a new flexplate too... my old one was cupped a little.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sagacious said:
well it does rise and fall with engine rpm but at a certain point it goes away. i remember i had a problem with the car wanting to die when i put it in gear. luckily it was just timing. it would be 350-400rpm barely chugging along and the ticking got faster when i fixed the timing and the car was at 800rpm. at about 1100rpm i dont hear it.

oh...the trans guy put in a new flexplate too... my old one was cupped a little.
Is your tranny guy still around? I'd get it back to them ASAP and have them take a look.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Sounds like a cracked flex plate to me. You can check by pulling the sheet metal cover and looking around the crankshaft hole... If it's been cracked for a while it will have some debris highlighting it...
Mark

·
Registered
685 Posts
ticking when I put it in gear

Maybe the cover got tweaked and the flexplate is flexing and touching the cover.

Try removing the torque converter cover,to see if it goes away.

Don't forget to check converter bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts