Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Holley 750 DP. After cleaning it, it still looks old. Is there any way to clean it up? Maybe a paint, or sandblasting (that could wreck the venturiis), or a chemical dip (again, wrecking the venturiis), I don't know. I was thinking of running a scotch brite pad over it, but that will take forever. The rest of the engine will be painted and new chrome, I'd just hate to put a skanky looking atomizer on top of it all. It has chrome accessories (pressure gauge, fuel inlet splitter, etc.) and they look juxtaposed against an oxidized carb body.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Sandblasting is the last thing Id do to a carb lol. Youd never get it all out of there. Maybe a dremil tool with a fine sanding pad on it to polish the metal.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Using phosporic acid (aka CLR) and water, scrub the carb body with a toothbrush to remove the corrosion, re-alodize the body using a fresh mixture of alodine 1200. You need fresh alodizing solution to get the color onto the aluminum/zinc casting otherwise it takes forever.

http://www.heattreating.ca/conversion_coatings.htm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 4 jaw and siggy. Can I buy this Alodizing solution from L&M or is it something they would have to do? (Hexavalent chromium can be bad stuff). I notice it's a (905) number so it's near me, it wouldn't be a problem to go to their shop to buy it, or have them do it.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Do not use the Eastwood carb bronze paint, it looks very fake.

You can go to www.caswellplating.com and they offer some neat plating products for the do it yourselfer as well as carb restoration kits.

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
They make skanky atomizer paint for those looking to refurbish there skanky atomizers,but it don't look like the original finish,looks like paint.
:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
78 monte said:
They make skanky atomizer paint for those looking to refurbish there skanky atomizers,but it don't look like the original finish,looks like paint.
:)
That's skanky.:D

Thanks 4 jaw. I'll get a hold of L&M and see if it's cost effective to redo this carb. I'll take a bunch of pics along the way and post them in my journal if it all works out. Too bad the paint isn't the way to go, it sounds much easier. Plating sounds very cool, but I may as well buy a new carb for the cost, although the idea of colour plating all the aluminum parts...hmmm......

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
I have had good luck glass bead-blasting Holley carbs. I only do it if they are badly oxidized. I clean them thoroughly afterward with solvent, then HOT water and then 180PSI air blast. As they are then uncoated, I spray them with a clear acrylic after assembly, taking care not to shrink the air bleeds with too much clear on them.

tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts