Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 180sd and I am attempting to tig Stainless. 304 stainless with 308/308L filler. My beads are a terrible black. Is this just too many amps or am I doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Either you are getting no shielding gas at the tip or your pressure is too high. Too high a pressure will cause turbulence that mixes atmospheric oxygen into the shielding gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gas was set to 20 cfh. I was using a lens/shield combo from Radnor. These were sold to me at the time of the 180 buy. The cup is kind of a tapered to a smaller outlet. They claimed less gas and the electrode could protrude farther.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was using 3/32 2% thorieated electrode, and it was protruding about an 1/8". I was also pushing. It kind of sounds like I was using too much gas flow. I will try it agian tomarrow with less.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Here is a pic. The black bead ( if you could call it that) in the upper right corner was a before I made these changes. I changed to 1/16" electrod TH. Reduced gas to 12 and put the stock cup that came with my 180. Set my max amps to 70. I had another person look at the machine to tell me the amps. Most of the time I averaged about 22-26 amps.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
OK I just called a friend who was certified in the Navy he said you more than likely have contamination and he is thinking oil.
1 clean the metal with a good degreaser and possibly even alcohol
2 check with your supplier and make sure they have not had problems with oil in the gas

He said if it was a lack of gas problem then you would be consuming the tungsten or the weld would be pocked and that I was wrong argon should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you are right, It just seems like no matter how many amps I use the back side is burned up, with crap hanging. I ordered a smaller electrode and smaller filler to try and reduce the amps. It just seems like at this point no matter what I have tried my welds look like crap. Today I am going to go and see if I can find a good book on tig welding, with nice big color pictures.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Make a call to the local schools there are a few here that teach welding. There is a tech school near me that teaches body work and welding. I tried to learn to weld from a book years ago and never could get it my welds never looked like the picture. The picture was never of a hack like me it was a pro trying to make the mistakes with prefect tech. I had multipul mistakes:mwink:

Call the welding shops and see if they know someone who will teach you on your machine and IMO your even futher along. I had a friend work with me for 20 min on my plasma cutter and I went from shakey slag infested cuts to nice clean straight cuts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update

Ok, I know it has been some time but I thought that this post deserved an update. I did get smaller electrodes. I ended up using .040 electrodes with the machine set to 35 amps. The gas was set to 17. There was very little burn through and the HAZ was nearly non-exsistant. Now all I need is practice, practice, practice. Thank you everyone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.